Anyone RECENTLY taken taxi JKF to Manhattan Port?

khut

Know there is a flat rate of $45 but everyone always adds "plus tolls and tip"

How much are the tolls? What is the usual tip?

Trying to get a TOTAL that this trip from JFK to Manhattan port will cost me in October.

Would love to hear from those who have done this recently.

Please keep in mind that the amount of tolls will depend which route that cab driver takes to get into Manhattan.

For a tip you would tip on the $45.00 and most people tip 10, 15 or 20%. I would tip between 15 and 20% for this ride so just figure a tip between $7.00 and $9.00.

Keith

20% is pretty standard around here for cabs, meals, etc., unless the waiter/driver is really awful. But remember that's figured on the total before tax in a restaurant or tolls in a cab. For $45, I'd give them $9 plus the tolls; for $52, $10 plus the tolls. But if it goes up to $55, I'd round up to $11. If they go out of their way to be helpful (putting your luggage in the trunk and getting it out at the end) a little more is good. Cabbies in NYC work very, very hard for the money they make because of the way the system is structured: mostly, they are independent contractors who rent their cabs for 12-hour shifts, and they don't see a nickel for themselves until they've made enough to cover the rental cost. Paying by credit card also takes money out of their pockets, so pay in cash if you can.

OP-where is your hotel???

There are 4 ways into Manhattan WITHOUT a toll from JFK. So tolls should NOT be a concern if you tell the driver to take XXX route. BUT you need to post WHERE your hotel is-going through the BB tunnel or Midtown tunnel can add a LOT of time if you have to go crosstown. The most used access to Manhattan is the 59th St bridge (FREE), followed by the Brooklyn Bridge (FREE), Williamsburg Bridge (FREE), followed by the Midtown tunnel (TOLL), the Brooklyn Battery tunnel (TOLL) and then the Manhattan Bridge (FREE) (all info from Port Authority). Why would you take a TOLL route when you can direct the driver on a flat rate fee from JFK to Manhattan??? NO need to. Just have to know where your hotel is in relation to the bridges and tunnels.

As for tips-every has posted 15-20% depending on the service you get.

I am raising my hand as a dope who pays:p;) for the Midtown Tunnel or Triborough Bridge. As an occasional driver into Manhattan, it is worth it to me to save me the aggravation. My dd lives right on the other side of the Midtown Tunnel, it saves me at least an hour round trip. Sometimes you just want to get there and are willing to spend the $10 bucks. Traffic on the Queens side of the bridge is just as ridiculous as going across Manhattan.

I am raising my hand as a dope who pays:p;) for the Midtown Tunnel or Triborough Bridge. As an occasional driver into Manhattan, it is worth it to me to save me the aggravation. My dd lives right on the other side of the Midtown Tunnel, it saves me at least an hour round trip. Sometimes you just want to get there and are willing to spend the $10 bucks. Traffic on the Queens side of the bridge is just as ridiculous as going across Manhattan.

You are not a dope.

I know for us we spend so much for our vacation that I will gladly spend another $10.00 to not sit for unneeded time in traffic.

Keith

you know of course its a flat rate and the cab driver will be trying to get rid of you as quickly as possible to get on to the next fare(this is true of car services too). The ez pass rate for the midtown tunnel, triboro bridge and the Brooklyn Battery tunnel are all the same. its 4.80...the cash toll is 6.50. If they try to charge you the cash toll take it off the tip. I don't tip on the toll.

There has been a recent change in how the credit card fees are charged to the driver. It will soon be a flat fee per day and that means that it doesn't matter whether you pay by cc or not, although if you do pay by cash they get the money right away and in general people who pay by cc tip better.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/downloads/pdf/industry_notice_12_26.pdf

so at the current rate its $45.50 plus possible toll(one way not both) and tip..a total of about $60.00 when the fare goes up to $52.50 it will be closer to $70.00. cabs are required to take credit cards which you swipe and enter in the tip. The toll is supposed to be added by the cab driver.

what happens when the fare goes up, some people tend to take it off the tip...not me.

OP-where is your hotel???

There are 4 ways into Manhattan WITHOUT a toll from JFK. So tolls should NOT be a concern if you tell the driver to take XXX route. BUT you need to post WHERE your hotel is-going through the BB tunnel or Midtown tunnel can add a LOT of time if you have to go crosstown. The most used access to Manhattan is the 59th St bridge (FREE), followed by the Brooklyn Bridge (FREE), Williamsburg Bridge (FREE), followed by the Midtown tunnel (TOLL), the Brooklyn Battery tunnel (TOLL) and then the Manhattan Bridge (FREE) (all info from Port Authority). Why would you take a TOLL route when you can direct the driver on a flat rate fee from JFK to Manhattan??? NO need to. Just have to know where your hotel is in relation to the bridges and tunnels.

As for tips-every has posted 15-20% depending on the service you get.

Going directly from JFK to the Manhattan Port............not a hotel.

Trying to get the approx amount we will need to pay and to decide whether taxi is the best way for someone who has never been to NYC versus the cruiseline's transfer.

Going directly from JFK to the Manhattan Port............not a hotel.

Trying to get the approx amount we will need to pay and to decide whether taxi is the best way for someone who has never been to NYC versus the cruiseline's transfer.

on a Saturday or Sunday am....it really doesn't matter. It probably will be faster thru the Queens Midtown Tunnel with the additional toll but the 59th street Bridge(queensboro or Ed Koch Bridge-same bridge different name) will also work....the difference may be measured in minutes as its easier ti go cross town on 57th street. BTW the Manhattan cruise terminals motor entrance is at 12th avenue and 55th street...

in either case you have to then go cross town.before the meters change it will be $45.50 plus toll and tip...after than it will be $52.50 plus. They meters can change as early as September 4 but must be changed by 9/30 or so.

To confuse the matter...there is a direct highway to the midtown tunnel...the bridge you have to use city street in Queens....

After the fare increase, figure a total of $70 from JFK to the Manhattan Terminal. FORGET about trying to save the $4.80 (ez-pass rate) or $6.50 (cash rate) unless you want to double your travel time.

Ask the driver to take the Triborough (RFK) Bridge, get off the FDR at the 96th Street exit, go across town on 79th Street and down the West Side Highway to the pier.

The driver's are not very creative, so might they not think of the route I have outlined, but it is by far the fastest. I would give the driver $75, but I tend to over tip.

Enjoy.

After the fare increase, figure a total of $70 from JFK to the Manhattan Terminal. FORGET about trying to save the $4.80 (ez-pass rate) or $6.50 (cash rate) unless you want to double your travel time.

Ask the driver to take the Triborough (RFK) Bridge, get off the FDR at the 96th Street exit, go across town on 79th Street and down the West Side Highway to the pier.

The driver's are not very creative, so might they not think of the route I have outlined, but it is by far the fastest. I would give the driver $75, but I tend to over tip.

Enjoy.

nah the fastest way is through the midtown tunnel up 1st avenue to 57th street make a left and directly across to the west side highway(the end of 57th street) might the right to the service road go two blocks make a left and then another left directly into the terminal...

actually i think the fastest way from jfk would be to take the belt pkwy west and follow it around to the battery tunnel and then up west st. to the port. i avoid the van wyck expwy like the plague.

This could be faster, all depends on what traffic is like around the "drawbridge." I love traveling on the Belt for the the views of the the marshes and the Verrazano, but if there is an accident between Sheepshead and Bay Ridge you can be in for a long wait. Agree about the Van Wyck, but it usually keeps moving, albeit slowly!

I live on the UES and travel to Aqueduct on a weekly basis. Have tried just about every possible route, including all the way on Woodhaven, etc. The Wyck to the GCP is usually the faster of the routes.

Archived