Silhouette - connect laptop to TV

RogerT

sorry to be so terribly dumb, but what does this enable one to do with their laptop by hooking into the TV ports--do you get free internet service or just a means to get to Netflix? Just curious....

As mentioned...S class has a wide selection of films, music etc..much better than M class system!

well if your laptop has an hdmi port hooking your laptop to the tv has some big advantages, for example im doing the following, instead of a laptop im bringing a small media player with me and a 120gb portable hard drive. before i go on cruise i will download a massive amount of movies and tv shows. so for the 7 sea days i have on my transatlantic i dont have to be limited to the few movies the ship has.

now for those saying why do i need movies and tv on a cruise.. if i was doing a normal cruise i may not bring my toys owever on a long transatlantic i will get bored sooner or later, or perhaps before bed i just might feel like watching a movie.

for those who say we should not touch the tv setting..... sorry but those saying this i can only assume your old. not making fun of you but your probally just not as tech savy as some one my age (28) doing this does nothing to the tv. doesnt harm it in any way. the only reason the tv is blocked is so were forced to over pay for movies. same reason you cant bring booze on board, however we all know a good portion of you do the rum runners lol.

closing thoughts......any one wanting to do this i would suggest also getting the remote codes to turn off hotel mode. its best to have that with you incase just unplugging the rj45 doesnt work. fyi a 120gb hard drive like mine could hold 30 bluray movies (720 cause tvs are only that) or 160 dvd movies or 342 regular tv episodes. so that gives you wwwaaayyy more options then the ships selection. celebrity should put in reboxes lol charge like 3 bucks and make everyone happy and make money

Hi Kjaooo

I have just returned from a cruise on the Silhouette.

All you need to do is remove the hdmi cable from port number 2 on the back of the TV (the celeb feed) and insert your own hdmi cable into that jack. The TV detects the media player within a couple of seconds and you are good to go.

When you are done, simply remove your cable and re-insert the celeb cable, and you are back to cabin entertainment.

There is nothing else needed. The RJ45 data cable can stay in or not, up to you. The remote volume still works too.

Hi Kjaooo

I have just returned from a cruise on the Silhouette.

All you need to do is remove the hdmi cable from port number 2 on the back of the TV (the celeb feed) and insert your own hdmi cable into that jack. The TV detects the media player within a couple of seconds and you are good to go.

When you are done, simply remove your cable and re-insert the celeb cable, and you are back to cabin entertainment.

There is nothing else needed. The RJ45 data cable can stay in or not, up to you. The remote volume still works too.

RogetT could you expand a bit on how you did this please?

In Post #16 above I don't see a HDMI Port #1, only an open port. Because of this I don't understand what configuration you used.

Thanks.

Thank you to all who have provided helpful input on this thread! I am old:) (enough) but I know making these changes does not hurt the TV and of course we would always return it to its original state (we leave the details of that to our young adult son who travels with us).

We often would like to watch movies or episodes of our favorite TV shows in our cabin in the late evening, or during alot of sea days and I'll be darned if I will apologize for it, or justify it to someone else. As long as I am not adversely affecting your cruise experience or harming the ship in any way it is none of your business how I prefer to spend my time:eek:

ty for the info, i got a transatlantic on reflection in april so looks like ill be good to go. im curious tho did you hide your player and cable before you left room or did you not care if steward saw them

When we arrived on board I had a word with the steward and asked them not to enter the room during the cruise unless we specifically invited them. We are very private people and are capable of cleaning our own 10m2 living area, so just needed to swap towels every 3rd day and have the sheets changed once or twice ;)

Personally though, I doubt the steward would have cared, even if they'd noticed, but considering the switch takes only 10 seconds, it isn't a big deal to unplug/replug your device each time you want to use it.

Also, the cabin system is useful for ship info etc, so there were plenty of times we wanted the Celeb feed anyway.

Here is an outlook of the configuration on Silhouette:

11542427ti.jpg

Dirks photo here is the most useful. The big black jack on the right is the celebrity feed. It goes into the hdmi slot as you can see, but curiously it appears to be slot number two, not slot number one above it. I tried sticking my cable into slot one but it didn't recognise it, so presumably, the TV has it's inputs disabled except for the one hdmi and the one rj45 (the one on the left that looks like a telephone jack).

you simply pull out the black hdmi jack and replace it with your own.

Remember, this is on teh Silhouette, I cannot vouch for the other boats, but from vague memory, the Eclipse had the same TV setup.

Thank you to all who have provided helpful input on this thread! I am old:) (enough) but I know making these changes does not hurt the TV and of course we would always return it to its original state (we leave the details of that to our young adult son who travels with us).

We often would like to watch movies or episodes of our favorite TV shows in our cabin in the late evening, or during alot of sea days and I'll be darned if I will apologize for it, or justify it to someone else. As long as I am not adversely affecting your cruise experience or harming the ship in any way it is none of your business how I prefer to spend my time:eek:

Nothing to justify or apologise for. It's your cruise, you enjoy it how you like :)

Celebrity like to create the illusion that there are all kinds of rules (check-out time, eating times, private seating areas etc) but we found when you actually ask, the 'rules' are not enforced and you can actually do as you please within reason.

For example. on the new lawn club on the Silhouette, they had roped off an area that has booths that must be rented at $100 per day. There are 6 hammocks here too and some open lawn that are not part of the rented areas but you need to step over the ropes to access them. We did this regularly, as the first time we asked we were told they are not private areas at all and open to all clients - so why the ropes? go figure?!

Disembarkation was another. We were given a time of 7am or something ridiculous like that. I simply went to cust relations and requested the latest possible time (12.30pm) and they made the change immediately without even raising an eyebrow.

On our first cruise we were supposed to eat in teh first sitting in the evening. We never did. Instead we'd show up occasionally at 9pm and request a table. We always got a window table for two, instead of sharing a middle table for 6 at our designated time.

Yes, I know these setups are in order to make things run smoothly, but I am just saying that Celebrity does not have any issue with 'breaking some rules' and actually assist you to do so.

I understand most people feel more comfortable doing what they are told so they just follow the guidelines. For those that like to take a bit more personal responsibility for their cruise, there are many areas where Celebrity will assist that for you.

• 1 year later...

So, I just recently returned from 10 days in the Caribbean on the Celebrity Equinox. I brought my laptop and HDMI cable. I attempted everything to get the laptop hooked up to the tv to no avail. I unplugged the ethernet cable, plugged in my hdmi cable, unplugged everything, restarted everything, turned off the tv, turned on the tv, tried the 8-2- etc numbers on the remote as suggested by someone else. Nothing.

I was very much bummed. This was the FIRST thing I did upon entering our room. But, luckily I have a 15.6 inch screen on my laptop and we just watched our shows on that - Homeland, Californication, etc...

Good luck to anyone else.

So, I just recently returned from 10 days in the Caribbean on the Celebrity Equinox. I brought my laptop and HDMI cable. I attempted everything to get the laptop hooked up to the tv to no avail. I unplugged the ethernet cable, plugged in my hdmi cable, unplugged everything, restarted everything, turned off the tv, turned on the tv, tried the 8-2- etc numbers on the remote as suggested by someone else. Nothing.

I was very much bummed. This was the FIRST thing I did upon entering our room. But, luckily I have a 15.6 inch screen on my laptop and we just watched our shows on that - Homeland, Californication, etc...

Good luck to anyone else.

Hi

I have 2 laptops I connect to my main tv at home. 1 connects automatically the other I have to set the output on the computer to output through the HDMI to get picture and sound every time I use it

possible reason why some can connect and some cannot

I now use a dongle to stream to my tv from compatible android, ipad and PC so much easier

I am planning on bringing a short HDMI splitter to connect my dongle and Celebrity input feed the dongle power is fed using the usb and always takes priority when plugged in at home hope this works on the ship

Damon

Here's the easy way to do it.

Call concierge and tell them you would like a DVD player installed on your tv. They usually can bring one. Then unplug DVD player and plug your stuff in instead.

easy peasy.

• 8 months later...
Here's the easy way to do it.

Call concierge and tell them you would like a DVD player installed on your tv. They usually can bring one. Then unplug DVD player and plug your stuff in instead.

easy peasy.

Cle-Guy

What a logical way to get a connection, I would be happy just to have a DVD player and we can bring some DVD's. If in a Royal Suite can you ask the Butler to arrange this or is it best to call Concierge or Michael's Club Concierge?

Jim

Cle-Guy

What a logical way to get a connection, I would be happy just to have a DVD player and we can bring some DVD's. If in a Royal Suite can you ask the Butler to arrange this or is it best to call Concierge or Michael's Club Concierge?

Jim

The butter called engineering to do this.

A hack? So you're already of the understanding that the televisions are specifically set up for this NOT to be done. But you want to find a way to bypass it, and possibly muck the television up for the next guest....

All this so you can sit in your cabin and watch you computer projected on the television...

You sound fun to travel with:rolleyes:

And how would this "muck" something up?

PS: our laptop gets put in the safe and not taken out until after the cruise. No phone, no laptop = vacation.

Edited by blindrid

• 2 months later...