Working Out a Solo Fare...

T5LHR

I have been perusing the Cunard website and noted the cheap prices for the 20th November Westbound Crossing...

So, I go to the booking part and pop in 1 person to occupy the cabin.

Now, the "promoted" cheap fare is £669 per person for a D8, cheapest inside cabin. However, when quoted for single occupancy, the price is £1,573.00 for a D8, which, even with my limited maths is over double the offer price.

I take it from that, single occupancy is worked out from non-offer fares at a higher rate?

Which really is quite poor IMO.

T5

:(

T5

There may be a problem with the site. When you book for two, the price goes up to £899 at stage 2. It sems that even though you select the non-flight option, the cruise is calculated to include the flight. If you click the back button you see this when you get back to stage 1.

On UK deals I've booked, the single price has been calculated as:

Cost per person (based on 2) less any fuel surcharge and flight(s). This is multiplied by 1.75 for non-grills or doubled for grills. The fuel surcharge and any flight cost is then added back on.

I received a brochure by regular mail for reduced fares on certain cruises, one I liked , - Panama Canal, showed D8 as $2295 pp double occupancy (with $336 fees and taxes extra).

Normally solo at D8 is175%, but when I asked for solo pricing I was told that as a solo I had to pay 200% at D8 level.($4590 + $336 taxes).

Many Travel agency do not do "group rates" for Cunard, though they do this for almost all other cruise lines,plus Cunard seem have the highest solo supplement . It would seem therefore that even though they do not publish this Cunard do not like solo passengers, - and this really angers me.

Many passengers of my age are without their life partners, that is sad enough without being screwed by Cunard.

How can Cunard justify this discrimination?

I have been perusing the Cunard website and noted the cheap prices for the 20th November Westbound Crossing...

So, I go to the booking part and pop in 1 person to occupy the cabin.

Now, the "promoted" cheap fare is £669 per person for a D8, cheapest inside cabin. However, when quoted for single occupancy, the price is £1,573.00 for a D8, which, even with my limited maths is over double the offer price.

I take it from that, single occupancy is worked out from non-offer fares at a higher rate?

Which really is quite poor IMO.

T5

:(

Hi T5.

I'm looking at that voyage as well. I received a single supplement promo email that had the promo code "PEB". Type that in to the promo section along iwth your WC info and you should see a better deal, i did. It looks very good to me. Perhaps we will meet on board!

Rob

I received a brochure by regular mail for reduced fares on certain cruises, one I liked , - Panama Canal, showed D8 as $2295 pp double occupancy (with $336 fees and taxes extra).

Normally solo at D8 is175%, but when I asked for solo pricing I was told that as a solo I had to pay 200% at D8 level.($4590 + $336 taxes).

Many Travel agency do not do "group rates" for Cunard, though they do this for almost all other cruise lines,plus Cunard seem have the highest solo supplement . It would seem therefore that even though they do not publish this Cunard do not like solo passengers, - and this really angers me.

Many passengers of my age are without their life partners, that is sad enough without being screwed by Cunard.

How can Cunard justify this discrimination?

I too often travel solo and hate paying double but I don't think you can call it discrimination. Cunard is a commercial operation and the bottom line is, if one person occupies a cabin which accommodates two they have to charge that one person the amount that reflects what they would make if the cabin was occupied to capacity. You would be surprised how low the per diem spend is pp on food and, statistically, singles also spend less on on-board extras, especially alcohol - one of the main profit turners. So, frankly, 175% is commercially a very fare deal when available. I am surprised that you have found better deals on other lines. I can only comment on UK pricing (and my historical figures from QE2 ) but although some other lines offer single cabins, when you factor up against what they are charging pp in a double (invariably nicer rooms) the 'single deal' is usually around that 175 - 180% of the ordinary cabin occupied by two.

If one did come across a deal that was cheaper for two people to book than one, would it not be possible to book under two names and then simply appear terribly sad, at the pier on embarkation day, when it turns out that your travelling companion hasn't turned up and will miss the boat?

If one did come across a deal that was cheaper for two people to book than one, would it not be possible to book under two names and then simply appear terribly sad, at the pier on embarkation day, when it turns out that your travelling companion hasn't turned up and will miss the boat?

Officially no, practically possibly or yes!

Unfortunately it appears the single-fare promotion I was referring to ended Aug 15. I should have read the fine print...I didn't take advantage of it. :(

But the staterooms I was looking at for Nov 20 are all still available so I'm hoping for another promo soon.

Rob

I too often travel solo and hate paying double but I don't think you can call it discrimination. Cunard is a commercial operation and the bottom line is, if one person occupies a cabin which accommodates two they have to charge that one person the amount that reflects what they would make if the cabin was occupied to capacity. You would be surprised how low the per diem spend is pp on food and, statistically, singles also spend less on on-board extras, especially alcohol - one of the main profit turners. So, frankly, 175% is commercially a very fare deal when available. I am surprised that you have found better deals on other lines. I can only comment on UK pricing (and my historical figures from QE2 ) but although some other lines offer single cabins, when you factor up against what they are charging pp in a double (invariably nicer rooms) the 'single deal' is usually around that 175 - 180% of the ordinary cabin occupied by two.

You are entitled to think that Cunard is justified if that is what you wish and you are happy paying 175%.

I happen to think they are "not user friendly" to solo passengers, other lines do not charge as much, Crystal for instance charge 150% ,yet they have the same "overheads" as Cunard. We are not discussing "single cabins" , Cunard does not have single cabins , nor do Crystal.

Personally as a solo passenger I think I spend as much as a couple. With no one to chat with, I finish my drinks faster and order more. In the shops/spa etc I do not have to consider how another person will view my spending, no "will he think I have paid too much" or "will he dislike this".

I have only myself to please.

However to each his or her own" view point"

You are entitled to think that Cunard is justified if that is what you wish and you are happy paying 175%.

I happen to think they are "not user friendly" to solo passengers, other lines do not charge as much, Crystal for instance charge 150% ,yet they have the same "overheads" as Cunard. We are not discussing "single cabins" , Cunard does not have single cabins , nor do Crystal.

Personally as a solo passenger I think I spend as much as a couple. With no one to chat with, I finish my drinks faster and order more. In the shops/spa etc I do not have to consider how another person will view my spending, no "will he think I have paid too much" or "will he dislike this".

I have only myself to please.

However to each his or her own" view point"

I know Princess charged about 170% solo when I booked years ago. That said my first solo experience meant a large table with a good mix of singles and couples, plus the cruise director sought me out on a few occasions to see how I was liking my trip and made suggestions about other passengers I might like to meet and introduced a few people to each other throughout the cruise. It was quite good of them and I didn't expect that.

Also, the crew can be good to chat to when they are using the public rooms late at night. Well, the entertainers etc did. Not sure if that happens on Cunard.

I don't mind paying the supplement, but really I'd be happy to pay the tiny bit extra to bring a friend along. But unfortunately even with the offer of a free holiday I can't get anyone to go on a cruise!

Granted I'm in my 20s and that isn't a cool thing to do.

I know Princess charged about 170% solo when I booked years ago. That said my first solo experience meant a large table with a good mix of singles and couples, plus the cruise director sought me out on a few occasions to see how I was liking my trip and made suggestions about other passengers I might like to meet and introduced a few people to each other throughout the cruise. It was quite good of them and I didn't expect that.

Also, the crew can be good to chat to when they are using the public rooms late at night. Well, the entertainers etc did. Not sure if that happens on Cunard.

I don't mind paying the supplement, but really I'd be happy to pay the tiny bit extra to bring a friend along. But unfortunately even with the offer of a free holiday I can't get anyone to go on a cruise!

Granted I'm in my 20s and that isn't a cool thing to do.

I've seen the dancers and the social hostess etc in the public rooms at night, but that was it; I think Cunard has it right in that regard. I recall watching a documentary on TV about the Costa Serena, there was one scene in the nightclub at night where the dance floor appeared to be filled by drunk and aggressive crew. It didn't seem very welcoming to passengers. In any case, the crew have their own entertainment areas on QM2, which I gather are a lot more fun than G32 (if the beauticians at the Canyon Ranch spa are to be believed).

I'm not sure what you're expecting in the way of late night entertainment. With the exception of ABBA nights, G32 can be extremely quiet. Some nights there have only been about 10 people in there (including Vibz).

If you are expecting anything like the below, then you're going to be disappointed.

i-rBCM5z3-M.jpg

Descrimination , yes.

D8 is the lowest grade of cabin, my booking for a 2013 cruise shows I am paying 200% of the advertised fare as a solo occupant, yet looking at the OBC, I am getting only 50% of the advertised OBC!

Talk about speaking out of both sides of your mouth at the same time!

I agree about the high SS, which is why I have defected to P&O when travelling alone. Their SS range from 30 - 80% and I got a really good deal on one of the single cabins on Oriana this year.

Interestingly, as all their ships go in for refit, they are adding new single cabins so they recognise the growing demographic. Why can't Cunard? Holland America Line charge a flat 150% for solos. All these lines are under Carnival UK.

Ok - we may only be one in a cabin, but firstly - when do the ships ever sail at 100% capacity, we don't eat twice as much, don't have twice as much laundry and probably spend a good more than some couples.

I agree about the high SS, which is why I have defected to P&O when travelling alone. Their SS range from 30 - 80% and I got a really good deal on one of the single cabins on Oriana this year.

Interestingly, as all their ships go in for refit, they are adding new single cabins so they recognise the growing demographic. Why can't Cunard? Holland America Line charge a flat 150% for solos. All these lines are under Carnival UK.

Ok - we may only be one in a cabin, but firstly - when do the ships ever sail at 100% capacity, we don't eat twice as much, don't have twice as much laundry and probably spend a good more than some couples.

I have to disagree with you here. Perhaps (I don't think so) HAL is different for UK customers but they are definitely not a flat 150% for solos. What I see as important is the bottom line and not the percentage, and HAL has some fantastic itineraries at reasonable prices. Their biggest shortcoming to me is that they lack anything like "Cunard Insights" but I like the ambience of their smaller ships, especially the Prinsendam. Every cruise is unique and I usually look at the cost and benefits of several options before booking a cruise. One little proviso on HAL: The Prinsendam has several single cabins but they always seem to be more expensive than a standard cabin even with the solo supplement.

Roy

Hi,

Cunard used to be kind to solo passengers. I sailed on the QE2 many times in small single cabins that were reasonably priced. The cabins were tiny, but some of them actually had excellent locations. The size of the cabin never bothered me. It is too bad that the current ships do not have these single cabins.

Two weeks ago, I booked (as a solo) the Queen Elizabeth's 10-day Mediterranean Moments cruise that departs on November 29. I booked this during a five-day sale when the double occupancy price for an inside cabin was only $699. I paid 200% of this rate for a guaranteed inside stateroom and received a $100 shipboard credit. Recently, I was assigned my stateroom--a D5 on Deck 6 aft. Because of the excellent sale, I was able to get a good price as a single. However, I realize that this may be a rarity.

Chuck

Good for you Seacruises9, pleased to read that it all worked out for you.

I did a single cabin on the QE2, and like you found it fine - with the exception of the bathroom, some one had put the glass doors on the shower incorrectly, I had to sit on the toilet , swing my legs over left and around in order to get into the shower - and of course reverse the procedure getting out. Very pleased no one else was in the cabin to see me perform like a circus acrobat.

Of course now my old bones would not be able to do that, but I still wish they had single cabins on the new QE, or that they were kinder in the solo supplement,

I would not grumble at 150%, or even 175% if it also aplied to the "sales " fares, and the OBC, but to charge me 200% on the fare and then cut the OBC to 50% is just turning the knife too far.

Cunard do have voyages with reduced single supplements. I went on the QM2 with two friends,each of us had our own cabin and at a supplement of 25%- a bargain!

They do have them though it's rare. But I can attest, they just had a promotion with 25% supplement for several voyages this fall. I went to book 2 days too late unfortunately.

I'm hoping they will do something similar for the november TAs to fill them up.

Rob

Hi

Having checked terms in brochure I am confused regarding the solo supplement. Is it based on the double occupancy fare, or one persons share of double occupancy fare.

So if per person rate was £1000 would supplement of 175% be on £1000 or £2000.

Regards and thanks for any info.

As I read it if the Stateroom is £1000 per person for the trip for the week based on 2 People Sharing, then the Trip will cost £2000, £1000 each. If you are travelling solo it will be £1000 for you plus 75% of the second person Fee as the single supplement which is £750. So Total cost to you £1750.

If you go to the Cunard Website and do a Test Booking, One for Two People in the Room and one for a Single occupant, The Cost of Two People is a little more than the Charge for one.

As I read it if the Stateroom is £1000 per person for the trip for the week based on 2 People Sharing, then the Trip will cost £2000, £1000 each. If you are travelling solo it will be £1000 for you plus 75% of the second person Fee as the single supplement which is £750. So Total cost to you £1750.

If you go to the Cunard Website and do a Test Booking, One for Two People in the Room and one for a Single occupant, The Cost of Two People is a little more than the Charge for one.

Sometimes the cost is 200%, so as a solo you pay the same as two people. Even for a D8 Gty, that is the amount I have to pay if I take QE Panama Canal cruise in 2013.

Cunard do not have a set rule, they change with the wind!, A cabin which is 175% for cruise "A" will be 200% for cruise "B", -the one thing Cunard does not change is that you only get 50% of the OBC no matter if you are paying the same amount as two passengers (200%)

Archived