Peat Taylor tours

surgie

After the Falls, none of us wanted to do the "tour" that is part of the package. I don't think Peat was too happy about it! But everyone just wanted to go back to the ship, change, and head off to Island Village (Margarittaville). We just weren't interested in going on a 2 hour tour. No big deal.

We still had to pay him full price ($30) which was fine with us. The best thing about Peat, was that we were the first ones there because when we left, the line was about a mile long to get in. I would recommend Peat Taylor!

This sounds great to me! :p I had emailed him-asking if we could just leave after the Falls- we want the same as you M'Ville!! Did he bring you back right after or did you have to grab a taxi?

• 2 weeks later...

We used Peat Taylor tours during our June trip. His son, Oneil, was waiting for us in the parking lot near the dock. After filling up the bus, we were on our way to the falls. When we got there, there were only about four other buses in the parking lot. When we left, the parking lot was full, and a lot of people were waiting for their turn to go up the falls. We were really glad at that point that we had booked with an independent.

He then drove us around the town, showing us the local high school (some of our prisons look better), and elem. school. He then took us to the Wassi pottery factory. Initially, we weren't enthusiastic about a stop at a pottery factory, but it even our teenagers were impressed with the quality of work. We would have liked to spend much longer looking around, but we had a short time limit here. Then Peat took us through FernGully, an ancient rain forest. He gave the people on the bus the choice of whether to stop and look around or just drive. We opted to just drive through.

Then we went to a preschool that had 3, 4, 5, and 6 year olds. They were eating lunch, but when they finished they sang a song for us. Their school is VERY primitive by U.S. standards - one room, "sometimes" they have running water, "playground" was an old tire sunk into the embankment against the road, etc. We knew ahead of time that we'd be stopping here, so we filled a backpack with school supplies, stickers, books, crayons, etc. The teacher and the kids were so very appreciative - the kids kept coming up and hugging us.

No one on our bus opted to eat lunch in town, so he dropped us off in the parking lot and made a list of who wanted to go anywhere else after lunch.

We met him about an hour later in the parking lot. Our family of four wanted to go tubing on the White River. One other family was on the bus with us, and they wanted to go to the beach, so Peat dropped them off first, then took us to the river.

We had a great time tubing. At one point, you can get off of your tube, take a path along the river that rises steadily higher, until you are on a small cliff. You can jump off the cliff into the deep water below. Someone is there videotaping your jumps, then you can buy the DVD if you want. Another person is taking still shots with a digital camera, and you can buy these too. Beware, however, there are a few people just hanging around at this spot, asking for money.

Peat was waiting for us when we got to the end of the river, and he got us back to the boat in plenty of time. He is very aware of the time constraints - it would not do his business any good if he had a reputation for being late and having people miss their boats. I would highly recommend Peat & Oneil.

If you have any further questions, ask away!

• 2 weeks later...

My boyfriend and I just arrived back from a cruise that went to Jamaica. We too took a Peat Taylor tour and did not care for it. It was a good deal-only $35. However, he was not very friendly nor talkative unless asked a question. It says on his website that we were to visit a school, but he took us in a sketchy neighborhood to a ceramic factory and LEFT US for like an hour. We were on a tour with another family of 4 and they were unhappy about it as well. The only good part was that we arrived at the Falls early. Maybe he was just having a bad day, but we were disappointed in the tour.

I am alittle worrid after reading this...I have a tour with Peat for next week...Anybody else have this problem? Thanks

Nope. We had a great time with Peat. They, he and Oneil, sang and joked with us. Even invited us home with them. They were great and we would definitely go with them again. In fact, we plan too for our Freedom stop in OR.

We toured with Peat just this past Thursday. We were on the Triumph. He was great, very accomodating. He sang to us and showed us a lot of interesting things. We went to Dunn's River, the rain forest, toured the ceramic factory, and he took us to some terrific views on the mountains. What a beautiful country! He charged $30 each, a great bargain! Don't hesitate to use him.

Congrats on having such a wonderful time on this island, despite all the negative posts to the contrary. My question: what is the appropriate tip? Is it 15% of total package or......?

Congrats on having such a wonderful time on this island, despite all the negative posts to the contrary. My question: what is the appropriate tip? Is it 15% of total package or......?

We gave $5 per person.

Went with Peat less than two weeks ago and were very happy. He had a flat, which could have been a disaster, but he handled it so well. He told us he carries 6 spare tires. He was friendly and Oneal is a doll, but SO YOUNG! The kids a kid! He pointed out a tree filled with ginormous spiders. Could have missed that and been VERY happy.

This was my 14th trip to Jamaica and a delight because of Peat.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how many people Peat takes on the tour? Also, do you have to do DRF? The reason I asked is because my 9 year old daughter will be with us and the falls look to hard for her to climb. I think we would rather go to Coyoba gardens or snorkeling instead. Do you think Peat will work with us on this?

• 2 weeks later...

donli - yes, you can eat where you like. You are not required to go to any restaurant you don't want to. Just ask and he will bring you there.

Snake - I agree with songyen and he will be very accommodating to your group. He has the capability to take many on a bus. Our group were the only 4 people on his bus when we were there. We had a great time and didn't have to do anything we didn't want to. Have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
As anyone ever been on a cruise excursion and did the Peat Taylor's and did it worked out the way you hoped?

We used Peat Taylor last week and he was great. He took us to DRF and we were the first ones there. Then we went to a school and drove through the fern gully. We had Peat take us to a restaurant called The Ruins, it was pretty good. It costs around $15 pp and includes all you can eat and drink, including alcohol. Plus it is at the bottom of a waterfall!

He then took everyone back to the ship. If you want to go tubing or horseback riding he will drop you off and pick you up. He is very friendly and trustworthy, I would use him again if we ever went back.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be our second time in December going on a tour with Peat! We just really enjoyed him in 2002 and that is why we are back.

As far as a 9 y/o climbing the falls, my daughter did it without any problems when she was only 8 and is looking forward to it again this year at 12 years old. However that also greatly depends upon your childs athletic ability becuase you do have to be able to climb it is not a sedentary activity. My daughter has played soccer since she was 4 and those falls were nothing for her, in fact she wanted to do it again after we finished the 1st time :D

Hope that helps on the falls. If you choose not to do it Peat is so very accomodating and will take you where you want to go, he is flexible and a real joy to be around.

I can say the 1st time we went to Jamacia I swore I wasn't ever going to get off that ship again because I HATED it so badly but in 2002 we booked with Peat and now I can't say enough wonderful things about Jamacia.

Can anyone else say any more about the Ruins, is it good? Is it mostly Chinese? Would you reccommend it or should we do lunch at Margaritaville?

When we went with Pete, most of us opted to have lunch back on the ship and get out of our bathing suits. Pete picked us up a hour later to take us to town for some shopping..........I had to get my Blue Mountain Coffee! LOL

Beachbuddy

Does anyone know how many people Peat takes on the tour? Also, do you have to do DRF? The reason I asked is because my 9 year old daughter will be with us and the falls look to hard for her to climb. I think we would rather go to Coyoba gardens or snorkeling instead. Do you think Peat will work with us on this?

I was 51 back in 2002 when we did the Pete Taylor tour and I made the climb to the top. I'm not athletic at all and never thought I'd even climb, but it was so much fun and you all hold hands while climbing so that helped a great deal! I think your daughter would enjoy the climb! If she can't make it to the top, there are quit a few exits along the way just in case someone doesn't want to continue. The falls are beautiful, don't miss them!

Beachbuddy

Can anyone else say any more about the Ruins, is it good? Is it mostly Chinese? Would you reccommend it or should we do lunch at Margaritaville?

The Ruins is mostly chinese food. They do have pork and chicken jerk also. We liked it. We paid $15 pp. It is all you can eat and drink (including alcohol).

• 1 month later...

Archived