Peat Taylor tours

surgie

Do any of you know how much extra Peat charges for the horseback riding?

What is the Time span for doing the River Tubing and Horse back riding.

Does anyone have answers to these questions? I was told I HAD to Dunn’s River Falls (which looks absolutely beautiful) but I REALLY want to go horseback riding on the beach as well. I know that we will only be in port for 8 hours, but I’d like to try and squeeze in Dunn’s River, Tubing and Horseback riding on the beach if possible. Am I asking for too much? Anyway, any info from you guys would be great as I am a first time clueless cruiser :rolleyes: (but slowly learning thanks to CC).

Does anyone have answers to these questions? I was told I HAD to Dunn’s River Falls (which looks absolutely beautiful) but I REALLY want to go horseback riding on the beach as well. I know that we will only be in port for 8 hours, but I’d like to try and squeeze in Dunn’s River, Tubing and Horseback riding on the beach if possible. Am I asking for too much? Anyway, any info from you guys would be great as I am a first time clueless cruiser :rolleyes: (but slowly learning thanks to CC).

have you contacted Peat? He can certainly tell you. I am sure he can get you to the horseback riding "No Problem Mon", but whether you can fit in all 3 will depend on how long that takes. We did the falls and tubing and made a stop and were back by early afternoon. We spent the rest of the day shopping and hanging out at MV in Island Village. I think that time could have been used to horse back ride, it just depends on whether they can meet your needs. Send Peat an email outlining what you would like to do exactly and I bet he can give you an idea of yes its possible or no you are out of your mind. Good luck,

• 4 weeks later...
have you contacted Peat? He can certainly tell you. I am sure he can get you to the horseback riding "No Problem Mon", but whether you can fit in all 3 will depend on how long that takes. We did the falls and tubing and made a stop and were back by early afternoon. We spent the rest of the day shopping and hanging out at MV in Island Village. I think that time could have been used to horse back ride, it just depends on whether they can meet your needs. Send Peat an email outlining what you would like to do exactly and I bet he can give you an idea of yes its possible or no you are out of your mind. Good luck,

• 3 weeks later...

After all of the glowing reviews I heard about Peat Taylor, I never thought I would be writing a bad one.

Several weeks before my March 2, 2007, cruise on Royal Caribbean, I contacted Peat Taylor to reserve a tour. He wrote me back with the particulars, and two days before my cruise I contacted him again to confirm my plans. Peat instructed me to look for him holding a sign with his name on it.

When my girlfriend and I arrived in Jamaica, we approached a group of buses and spotted a young man holding a sign saying Peat Taylor. It was not the Peat Taylor I e-mailed, but his son, Peat Jr. This was OK by me, because I had heard good things about him. He was, in fact, very polite. He told us he was waiting for several more people to arrive, and that as soon as they arrived we would all leave.

Meanwhile, it started to rain, and my girlfriend and I took shelter under a canopy. After about a half hour of waiting, the other tourists failed to show up. So Peat Jr. told us he was sending for a smaller van for us. The van arrived in about 10 minutes and we were led to it by its driver and instructed to sit inside. We were told we would be leaving in "five minutes," and then the driver walked off.

Well, we ended up sitting in the van for about another 20 minutes. Then Peat Jr. and the driver showed up, and we were on our way. While we were driving, Peat Jr. turned around and said they were going to take us on the tour first, and then to Dunn's River Falls. However, for some reason they took us to Dunn's River Falls first. We got out of the van, where Peat Jr. walked my girlfriend and me to the ticket window. He told us that we would have to pay $15 each to enter the falls area, but not to worry ... he would deduct the amount from the cost of the tour.

When my girlfriend and I paid for the tickets at the window, the woman behind the window only gave us only one ticket. She had done the same thing to a man ahead off us who protested that he paid for two tickets, but the woman assured him that he needed only one. So when the woman gave me only one ticket for $30, I thought everything was kosher. But when we walked to the gate and presented the ticket, the woman at the gate said we needed two tickets. So I went back to the woman at the window and told her she needed to give me another ticket. She acted like I was crazy and asked, "I only gave you one ticket?" After a short argument, she finally spoke through the wall of the ticket booth to the woman at the gate -- using a language I couldn't understand -- and the woman let us through. I suspect the first woman pocketed $15 of my money.

Peat Jr. walked us to the falls, and told us he'd be back to pick us up at 12:30 p.m. I pointed out to him that we weren't going to climb the falls, that I just wanted to take pictures of it, and I didn't need the more than two hours he was giving us to be there. Besides, it was still raining, and wasn't too happy about getting my expensive camera equipment wet. Peat initially tried to talk us into putting my camera in a locker so we could climb the falls, but I told him I didn't want to. So he said he would return for us at 11:15 a.m. I said OK.

My girlfriend and I walked around a little, and when it stopped raining for about five minutes, I was able to take some pictures. We kept a close watch on the time, and allowed ourselves plenty of time to climb the long stairs back to where the tour buses and taxis park. Unfortunately, at the end of the stairs we were forced to walk through a maze of vendors who hounded us at every step.

We finally reached the parking lot, and Peat Taylor Jr. was not there. So we waited. And waited. During this time, many cab drivers approached us and asked if we needed a ride. We told them we were waiting for Peat Taylor. But after a half hour of waiting, Peat Jr. never showed up. So we reluctantly hired a cab driver to take us back to the ship. Being in a foreign country and not knowing my way around, I was not too confident about asking a perfect stranger for a ride. Luckily for us, however, we went with a young man named "Sean," who was not only polite but requested a very reasonable fare for the ride. I gave him a nice tip when we arrived at the ship.

At this point I would like to say that I know it was not Peat Taylor's or his son's fault that only two of us showed up for the tour. They stood to make a lot more money if they had a van full of tourists. But we did make reservations and were entitled to be taken on a tour ... not left stranded in a country in which we were not familiar.

I will not recommend Peat Taylor to anyone.

--Steven N. and Brenda L.

I have never heard of Peat Jr. I know Oneill will some times take Peat's tours if he is real busy, but I know nothing of Peat Jr. I am sorry this happened, this is nothing like our experience with Peat. Did you contact/email Peat to express your displeasure?

I have never heard of Peat Jr. I know Oneill will some times take Peat's tours if he is real busy, but I know nothing of Peat Jr.

It must be my mistake. Peat's son identified himself to us as "PJ" or "Re-Peat," so I just assumed he was Peat Jr. I guess the guy I was talking about was really O'Neill. He seemed like a pretty nice guy, but it was obvious he new he wasn't going to make a lot of money by taking just the two of us, so he dropped us off at the falls and just left us there. If I had known he was going to do that, I probably could have gone on another tour. But as a result, we left the island without getting to see much of it, just the falls.

--Steven N.

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience in Jamaica. I would definitely contact Pete and explain to him what happened. Pete's son's name is O'Neil and he went by O'Neil when we were there 2 years ago. We were lucky and got both Pete and O'Neil and they were wonderul. In our opinion Pete is a very honest man. After we got off his bus we had dropped some money on his bus and he hollered at us and gave it back to us. He would not have had to do that so we tipped him extra. Because of this I think that you have a good chance that he will try to make it right with you although I'm not sure what he can do at this point. No matter what he needs to know how his son treated you so that he can see to it that it doesn't happen again.

I am wondering if it was even his son. I hope you didn't scammed or anything. Oneill was always very gracious and nice. We had both Peat and Oneill.

I hope you let Peat know what happened and tell us his response.

We had both Peat and Oneill two years ago and they were wonderful. Our van was full, however, and we didn't have to wait at all. He was there to pick us up (from the falls) exactly at the time he said and helped us get through the vendor section without a problem. He was eager to accomodate all of the people on the tour, even if we were doing some things different from each other (some went to tubing, some to lunch, us to shpping) after the falls. Sorry to hear about your experience. I'd email Peat and let him know what happened.

Try this guy.

We had a wonderful day out with Chef Thompson. ( www.cheftours.5u.com ) I found him on TripAdvisor and he ahs some great reviews.

He met us on the dockside at Montego Bay with his bus, we could see his orange sign from the ship !

We booked a private tour so we didn't have to wait for anyone and it cost us less than the boat tour companies.

He is fully legit and is Tourist Board approved and fully insured, we heard so many scare stories we wanted to make sure we were safe !

We went to the beach in Negril and walked, swam, the kids went on the banana thing, then we went to the cliffs and watched the cliff divers, our eldest son did a cliff jump, it was sooo high. We had lunch at a beach bar & bistro.

We stopped off along the way for a beer at an old working waterwheel at Tryal Hotel where Hilary Clinton stays and plays golf, we also had a small goodie bag for the school and got loads of hugs from the children, it was the best day tour we had for the whole cruise.

He showed us exoctic plants and we smelled pungent spices on the tree.

Stopped for a jelly coconut at a roadside stand, which was very refreshing.

It was wonderful to get our own personal tour of a very beautiful country.

I think your time in jamaica depends very much on how and WHO you spend it with. This guys gets a A+ from us and his wife who does the email was very helpful.

Try this guy.

We had a wonderful day out with Chef Thompson. ( www.cheftours.5u.com ) I found him on TripAdvisor and he ahs some great reviews.

He met us on the dockside at Montego Bay with his bus, we could see his orange sign from the ship !

We booked a private tour so we didn't have to wait for anyone and it cost us less than the boat tour companies.

He is fully legit and is Tourist Board approved and fully insured, we heard so many scare stories we wanted to make sure we were safe !

We went to the beach in Negril and walked, swam, the kids went on the banana thing, then we went to the cliffs and watched the cliff divers, our eldest son did a cliff jump, it was sooo high. We had lunch at a beach bar & bistro.

We stopped off along the way for a beer at an old working waterwheel at Tryal Hotel where Hilary Clinton stays and plays golf, we also had a small goodie bag for the school and got loads of hugs from the children, it was the best day tour we had for the whole cruise.

He showed us exoctic plants and we smelled pungent spices on the tree.

Stopped for a jelly coconut at a roadside stand, which was very refreshing.

It was wonderful to get our own personal tour of a very beautiful country.

I think your time in jamaica depends very much on how and WHO you spend it with. This guys gets a A+ from us and his wife who does the email was very helpful.

Sounds like a great time, but Mo Bay is about 2 1/2 hours and Negril is about 3 1/2 hours from OR. Peat works from Ocho Rios port.

we just got back from the Voyager - went to Dunn's River with Peat - and yes - Re-peat! or Peat Jr. who is 17 but looks older - he is starting University in the Fall - we also had to pay for our own tickets then deduct the fee from the amount paid to Peat - but very much enjoyed the climb and the lunch place we went to - HOwever - the horseback riding was not very impressive - mostly thru dusty neighborhood the men live in and then just a few minutes in the water - two other passengers who wne tubing were also not very impressed with their expereince.

Peat Taylor has other reviews say, is a very honest and good man who runs a good operation. He also has four kids two of which is old enough to be working with him Oneil about twenty and Peat jr which is about seventeen, and they are both good kids. I had the chance to meet both on the dock and I think it was a misunderstanding that you had such a bad experience.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, Peat has four children and two work with him. I remember him talking about his kids last summer. I am sorry, cameraz had a bad experience. It sounds like a horrible day and not the norm, at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked w/ Peat Taylor on a tour for my family of 4, including 1 child for May 9th on the Carnival Conquest. We were met at the dock by another drive for Peat named Sugar. One other couple of 4 toured with us. Our tour was to consist of Dunn River Falls, Fern Gully, Some Scenic Stops along the way for photos and shopping and lunch. We arrived at Dunn River Falls in a little over 2 hours and did that and came back to find Sugar drinking a beer w/ some other tour guides in a small hut. We weren't happy about this nor was the other couple who also had 2 young children. We were not taken to Fern Gully nor did we stop for any photos, only at a small jerk stand (it was good) but when we returned to the van our driver was gone AGAIN and we found him at the bar taking shots this time!! We were taken back to the pier and he actually had the audacity to ask for a tip, my only tip was DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE! I was really excited about the Jamaica tour but this really ruined our whole day as we didn't get to do anything we were promised. I realize this isn't a portrayal of Peat but probably a bad driver he has working for him but I can honestly say that I will never use his company again, I emailed him when I got home and still no reply and I take that as a sign he doesn't care that his driver represented him in such a way.

progress.gif

• 1 month later...
My DH and I have booked a Pete Taylor tour of Dunn's River Falls when we sail the Conquest on 8/4. Problem is, the Conquest sails into Montego Bay, not Ocho Rios. We really wanted to try the falls, and have heard great things about Pete Taylor, but is the two hour drive too much? Moreover, the ship itinerary claims the Conquest won't arrive to Montego Bay until 9:00, and adding the two hour drive puts us at the Falls at 11:00 at the earliest. Is it too crowded at this point in the day to bother? Any advice would be much appreciated.

My family and I will actually be encountering this exact situation on our August cruise and would like some opinions. We thought we should refrain from booking thru the ship in order to avoid the crowds, however, the 2 hr bus ride seems as though it almost negates that option. We were also wanting to go to Negril...will all of this be too difficult logistically??

Any advice would be wonderful!!

• 2 months later...

If your ship gets docked up at 9:00am yes the earliest time you would arrive at the dunn's falls will be at 11:00. I have never done the tour from montego bay but, I have done the Ocho Rios highlight with Peat and Oneil. Me and my family arrived at the Dunn's falls at about 10:30am and it wasn't crowded even with two ships in port.

The tour with Peat and Oneil was great, ensure you ask for Peat or either of his sons and you will have a good experience.:)

• 1 month later...

Did the Peat and Oneil Taylor tour and It was great me and my family are going back but this time we will be book in an hotel for a week. I would love if someone could give me the Names other forum for hotels.

thank you......:confused:

• 4 weeks later...

We had used Peat in October, 2006 and thought he was wonderful. We had our two daughters (20 & 23) and did the Dunns River Tour. Peat was great and we knew that if we ever went back, we would contact him again. So when DH and I went back to Jamaica in May we decided to book him again for Coyoba Falls. Since it was just us, he sent us with his son; I think it was O'Neill, but since he has more than one, I am not sure.

First we took the group of tourists with us to Dunns River Falls and he told us he would take us to Coyoba Falls, instead, we drove around picking up the second group of tourists from 2 different ships. Then we had to drive around more to catch up with a couple that had missed the tour altogether that were being brought to us in some other van. What a waste of time!

He was waiting for us at the designated time at the falls, in fact, he was 1/2 hour early because no one had communicated to him the proper time. If we had known, we were ready to leave earlier and had spent our last half hour just sitting on a bench waiting! Another waste!

He kept telling us that he would take us anywhere we wanted to go so we asked him to take us to one of the shopping centers farther away from the ship (sun something??) Instead took us to the Taj Mahal which was in walking distance to the port and then told us to walk to the Ruins where we had planned lunch. He seemed put out that we had wanted to go somewhere else.

The time he told us the restaurant opened was wrong, so we had to wait outside for over 1/2 hour for them to open. Shouldn't he know their hours?? Had he actually taken us to the mall we had requested, we would have gotten to the restaraunt when it was ready to open. More wasted time!

Once lunch was over, it was raining and at that point we felt our entire tour had not gone as planned so we just returned to the ship.

Because you are not sure who you will actually get if you book with Peat, I would no longer recommend him.

• 4 weeks later...

happy to hear that you enjoyed jamaica, my family including myself is booked for the riu hotel in Ocho Rios for a week and we are looking forward to Peat or Oneil services.

I know it will be great. we'er book for Bob Marley, the luminous lagoon and the white river tubing tour.:)

I'm really look forward to the bob marley tour...

We booked with Peat for our cruise this past October. His son Peat Jr (aka Re-Peat) led our tour which only consisted of us and one other couple. We can't say enough good things about him and the tour. :D

I won't post through all the details, but if you wish you look at our review at:

Caribbean Princess Revew

Just do a search on Peat if you don't want to dig through the whole review.

Archived