Peat Taylor tours

surgie

• 1 month later...
I saw some good reviews of this guy on the trip advisor as well. However I was trying to book a tour of Highlights & Horseback ride but no info of the tour on the reservation page.

Maybe you are trying to book throug the older domain. He has an update domain ochoriosjamaicatours.com which is the one I booked my tour through. Check and see you have any problems booking your tour.

The Peat Taylor spammers are at it again. :rolleyes:

Caution everyone: Before you take a review of a tour guide seriously, go into their profile and check to see if the person has talked about anything besides Pete Taylor tours.

Check to see how many posts they have. Are the in the single and low double digits?

Do they have a ticker or a list of ships they've been on?

I avoid any tour operators who spam the boards with fake reviews.

The Peat Taylor spammers are at it again. :rolleyes:

Caution everyone: Before you take a review of a tour guide seriously, go into their profile and check to see if the person has talked about anything besides Pete Taylor tours.

Check to see how many posts they have. Are the in the single and low double digits?

Do they have a ticker or a list of ships they've been on?

I avoid any tour operators who spam the boards with fake reviews.

Good Eye.

Two weeks ago the mods deleted my separate post regarding this issue in which I listed suspected spammer usernames. The suspected usernames had every opportunity to defend themselves but of course no response. The good thing is that A LOT of the suspected spammers posts were deleted and their usernames were deleted as well so at least the mods noticed it to do something.

Over the past two weeks the post counts dropped in this forum. Coincidence?

Again, if this company has a good reputation and great reviews by travelers then they should be the ones that are sharing their thoughts and feelings. Those types of reviews do in fact exsist but for the sake of the first time traveler in Jamaica the false posts need to stop.

Ok, I'm taking the plunge...first post. Peat Taylor will do his best to show you a good time in Jamaica. We have used him twice now, most recently just last week. We had a party of six, and he has a large air conditioned van that holds over 20 pax. He is a good driver, he's funny and wants you to enjoy his country. He will take you wherever you want to go, and he will get you back to the ship on time. We requested a Prospect Plantation tour, Fern Gulley, hilltop city view stop and lunch at the Ruins at the Falls. Fantastic time! Two years ago we went to Brimhall Plantation, and in my opinion it is much better, however it is about a 45 minute drive. Don't stay on the ship in Ocho Rios --- let Peat Taylor show you a good time, he's a great guy! He picked us up right away, no waiting. The Jamaicans are wonderful people living in a very poor country. Just be very careful in the shops.

Good Eye.

Two weeks ago the mods deleted my separate post regarding this issue in which I listed suspected spammer usernames. The suspected usernames had every opportunity to defend themselves but of course no response. The good thing is that A LOT of the suspected spammers posts were deleted and their usernames were deleted as well so at least the mods noticed it to do something.

Over the past two weeks the post counts dropped in this forum. Coincidence?

Again, if this company has a good reputation and great reviews by travelers then they should be the ones that are sharing their thoughts and feelings. Those types of reviews do in fact exsist but for the sake of the first time traveler in Jamaica the false posts need to stop.

I have a tour for our group of 11 people booked with Pete Taylor for Jan. 1. Based my choice on these boards. I'm now concerned that as this poster says that if this company has good reviews by travelers, they certainly wouldn't need to post phony reviews. Glad to see a couple of recent good reviews...anyone have any problems recently with Pete? I not only want my own family to have fun & a good tour but I am responsible for a few friends that one of my kids are bringing along too.

I have been on nearly 30 cruises and don't have a ticker listing them because I never thought to keep track. We have cruised the Caribbean many times as well as Mexican Riviera, Alaska and Australia. I learned years ago to book with a tour operator other than the ones offered by the ship. You have to stop and think. Other people go to these places for a week at a time and they take tours too. So, there are many legitimate operators out there besides the overpriced ones on the ship cattle call tours.

I just did a tour two weeks ago with Peat Taylor tours which was out of Montego Bay even though they normally go out of Ocho Rios. We had Peat Jr. who was all that one could hope for in a tour guide. Speaks good English, great knowledge, will do whatever you want, and very low priced compared to ship. Don't hesitate or be concerned. You will love it. If you have any doubts or questions, feel free to contact me at my website. (Yes, I am a cruise agent and tell all my clients about the good tour operators I find) sbozeat@cruisesinc.com

Salboz

• 4 weeks later...

I am a long-time member and poster. I have used Peat Taylor at least 4 times and we have always been very happy with him. We have always felt safe on his tours and he has never done anything shady.

We will be booking with him Aug 09.

You can check my posts, I've given him kudos everytime he has taken us out.

We went with Peat -- well actually, it was his son Peat, Jr. or Re-Peat -- on our cruise last year, and it was great. He picked us up at the dock, and though we were his ONLY customers that day, he treated us very well. Constantly telling corny jokes, singing -- it was fun.

He took us to Dunn's River Falls first, and he gave us some safety warnings before he left us. He got us there so fast that we were the SECOND group to climb the falls that day! As we were leaving, the hoards of ship excursions were arriving -- our table mates were among that group, and their experience there was quite different from ours.

We particularly enjoyed the stop at the schoolhouse, and we were so glad that we'd gathered together some crafty-items and candy to give to the children and their teacher. They had so little.

The tour around the island was fun, but not nearly so much fun as the Falls. We stopped briefly at a pottery place, which was just okay.

He offered us several options for the afternoon, but the weather was threatening rain, so he returned us safely to the dock. I would absolutley go with Peat again!

My family, friends & I (11 in our group) too a tour with Peat Taylor on 1/1/09. Peat Jr. picked us up at the designated meeting spot at the end of the pier (a worker with a walkie talkie contacts the tour guides, where they wait in a "holding area.") Peat Jr. showed us an ID bag so we knew we were traveling with the correct person & off we went to Dunn's River Falls. He told us info about the Island along the way & gave tips about vendors & how not to get suckered into some of their ploys to sell their wares. After getting us set with tickets for the falls, water shoe rentals for those that forgot theirs & a guide at the falls, Peat Jr. left us & gave a meeting time & place.

Peat Sr. picked us up & we had a very nice time with him. He sang, took us to Fern Gully, offered to take us to a pottery shop (we declined), to a lookout point & basically told us that we were the boss, just let him know what we wanted to see & he'd take us there. Such a nice man!!! I read on this site about spammers for this tour company. Possibly some individuals think they are doing them a favor by posting positive comments about tours not taken...Certainly no need to do that on the Taylors' part because they were both very good drivers & tour guides & just nice, nice people.

My family & I have been to Jamaica 3 times, taking tours each time (always the Falls, shopping, Fern Gully, etc. Each time we go with different people so plan the same stuff so they can experience it). My kids commented that this tour with Peat Taylor was the best one we've done yet. In fact they thought he was the best tour guide we had on the whole vacation. He even ended with a kind offer to e-mail just to keep in touch, to ask his wife who is a teacher any questions if my kids needed school related help, and expressed a nice message about praying for unity in the world, holding family as important & best wishes for the New Year.

I have booked Peat Taylor for his countryside tour and horseback riding. I have read nothing but favorable things about Peat. I have also read many good things about Marva www.knowjamaica.com (i think). Anyway the cost of the trip includes the falls, country side tour, horseback riding and swim. $70 US As far as I can tell you can't beat that with a stick. CCL wants $80 US JUST for the Horseback riding. This is my first cruise so therefore I have NOTHING to compare it to except what I have read here. I was wondering what would be the appropriate amount to tip the "guides". Trying to save when possible but at the same time to want to be cheap or stiff the guides.

Thank You

Hello.....Anyone done the the horseback riding part of his tour?

Plunker I am not able to give you any information about the tour, this is my first cruise and first trip with Peat. I am scheduled to do the horseback riding trip on Feb 10. I was wondering and hoping that you wouldn't mind posting your results when you get back.

THANK YOU :D

• 2 weeks later...

Evil Scotsman

We just got back from the Ruby Princess tonight so I wanted to do a quick post to let you know how peat taylor was. His son was there to greet us and told us where to go stand. Somehow we got hooked up with a group of 14 from Connecticut. We had alot of fun with them and they were going tubing after the falls so we went with them instead of horseback riding. Peat Taylor was great. He took us to the falls, then tubing, went thru a rain forest and stopped at a school for 3-5 year olds. We knew he would take us to the school so we brought along crayons, markers, glue sticks, stickers, etc. If you can you might want to bring something for the kids. They have next to nothing and they were so appreciative it was well worth it. It was a great tour and I would highly recommend peat taylor. Have fun on your cruise.

Plunker, THANK YOU for the update. I am SURE DW will be out buying stuff for the kids today!

13 DTG!

Hey Evil Scotsman- we're onboard Triumph with you and also going with PT to falls and then tubing. I also was going to bring stuff for the school that Peat's wife teaches. Maybe we can coordinate what we bring so they have a wider range of stuff and not so many duplicates?

Hey Evil Scotsman- we're onboard Triumph with you and also going with PT to falls and then tubing. I also was going to bring stuff for the school that Peat's wife teaches. Maybe we can coordinate what we bring so they have a wider range of stuff and not so many duplicates?

Sounds like a plan to me, but I will have to pass you along to DW. That is her baby. I know she picked up some candy while we were out today. We are doing the Falls/school/countryside tour but are going Horseback riding instead of tubing. So not sure how that will play out, but we can definetly coordinate something. Drop me an email :)

We didn't do the rafts we did the tubing. I would rather do the tubing cause on the rafts you just sit there and a guide is on the front of the raft with a bit pole steering the raft. It was more fun to sit in the tube and just float down the river. About two thirds of the way down you stop and they have a hut to sell trinkets and beer and another hut where they sell pictures of you coming down the river. Took about a little over an hour. Lot of fun. Dunn river falls was spectacular and Peat was great.

• 2 weeks later...

We just used Peat last week. He was awesome, and falls were awesome. BUT Iwould not recommend tubing. Peat just had us pay separately each place, so tubing was $20 each. Entire ride was only 20 minutes, guide didn't talk to us and he also said my 9 yr old daughter couldn't do the part you jump into the water, Not sure why, couldn't understand him???? Anyway Peat was wonderful, but would skip tubing.

Archived