Packing ****s- just curious.

basil1

Now see for me I try to pack a little light because I am a shopper. I don't ever rewear clothing and I'll be d-mn if I would ever wear dirty pants any where. I even sometimes leave clothing on the ship because I always purchase alot. So for me I like to pack as light as possible. I still have to pack enough in case I don't find alot that I like. It is actually quit hard to do.

Last year we drove to Miami's port. We didn't have to worry about the airlines, but we only had my little Nissan. It looked so funny we had all these Coach purses crammed in the back window. I went to the Coach in P.R and then stopped at the outlets

all the way home. We has items stuffed everywhere!! That is my reason for packing lightly.

Loved many of the responses here....I'm a reformed SERIOUS overpacker!! After a trip to New Zealand and having to claim my bags and truck them through LAX by myself (no hubby...he was still working on the job down there), I started thinking about what I was putting away when I returned from a trip and the fact that I couldn't seem to keep the dirty from the clean separated so I ended up washing it all again. Add to that our luggage has been lost once and misdirected several times.....neither leave you with the warm fuzzies, especially when you have clothing packed that you love!;) Another problem for us now is we both own Miatas so when we go to the airport, one bag needs to fit in the trunk and the other either on the package tray or in the case of my Miata, the luggage rack. For these reasons we now pack in carry on's. I coordinate all my items before leaving. My neutral slacks/palazzo and capris (I take 4 pairs) usually black or white match all my colorful blouses that are all different for each night. I practically live in a bathing suit and sarong during the days aboard, but I bring 3 or 4 pairs of shorts and blouses to wear to the dining room. I just don't feel wearing slacks for four hours qualifies them as dirty and believe me, I'm more apt to get something on my blouses, which I always have plenty of.

Just for those of you that are interested in paring down, there are packing videos online through youtube. My favorite is Jon Holloway's method

My items are never wrinkled when they are bundled the way he does it and you can pack a lot. Since we are really loving Celebrity S-Class ships, there is also the issue of the storage for both the hubby and I....this works for us.

I didn't even think about my car size in relation to my packing. I also own a 2-seater sports car. My "big" bag has to be able to fit in the trunk (my Osprey Sojourn 25" is the maximum size bag I can put in there), and my carryon has to fit on the passenger floor while I take my dog and his food to the boardinghouse on the way to the airport.

So, yep, cars going to the airport and taxis from the airport at the destination do definitely have an impact on my packing!

I have status on Delta Airlines, so the baggage fees aren't an issue for me. But, I want to be able to easily handle all my baggage on my own. If I were driving to my destination in a bigger vehicle (ex, a port or a hotel) and I won't be carrying my own stuff, then I would probably use a bigger bag and bring more stuff.

Archived