Packing ****s- just curious.

basil1

I like others enjoy having a choice each day.

Some choice is good...but too much choice stresses me out. It's why I have adopted a minimalist wardrobe at home...and I take a minimalist wardrobe when I travel. The majority of my wardrobe is mix and match because I dress according to a color palette.

I find I am better at making flattering outfits from a few well chosen wardrobe pieces than I ever was when I owned a plethora of choices. In the midst of too much, I would just grab the familiar...over and over again...but in the midst of less...I have a much easier time creating new combinations...and I get to wear my favorite pieces in a greater variety of outfits.

It's like going to a restaurant with a smaller menu...one chicken, one beef, one lamb, one veggie...it's so much easier for me to decide that I am totally in the mood for one or the other than when I am faced with pages of choice. But this is my decision making personality...

And why I personally take less...

I like to pack what I need and then some, but it really depends on where I plan on schlepping all of my bags before or after the cruise. If I'm driving or taking a cab to the NYC port I take EVERYTHING, but if I'm flying somewhere and then have to make my way on a train, boat, etc to get to my hotel before or after a cruise I take the weight of it all in mind.

Though...I always seen to have A LOT of things! Oy! LOL

I don't pride myself in being a light packer because if I didn't bring it I'd darn sure buy it while I was away! :D

Truthfully I find that it's not the clothes that make everything weigh a good deal, but the accessories.

On our first cruise we WAY over packed. Funny thing is DH packed tons more than I did, lol. I tried to plan out outfits but know that I'm very indecisive and need at least one other option for a few days. Our goal this time is to pack

less. I will have options for each day, no doubt but don't want to do what we did last time :-) am also planning for lots of linen this time around...it's cooler and looser and for me, it's more about comfort.

We've also purchased some space bags (for travel) and hope they work well. Everyone's needs are different, but I love reading the different perspectives as I can usually take something from the different POV.

Watch those space bags -- they compress and you tend to get over on the weight. Airlines are really strict to the ounce on weight limits. Also the vacuum bags weigh a little something and can you get the clothes repacked in the vacuum bags so they fit for trip home? (just asking cause I don't know).

Thankfully we drive to the port, because I am an over-packer. I like choices, and to wear something to dinner most nights, and lots of shoes, and and and. I am going to pare down one suitcase next cruise.....or so I tell myself.

If I am driving to the port, I pack for 7 nights. If I'm flying, then I take 3-5 nights' worth of stuff (for a 7 night cruise) and use the laundry services onboard. We have 21 days land/sea coming up, and I think that we'll pack for 7 nights of basics and I will bring a variety of shawls and jewelry to change it up. We'll limit ourselves to one checked bag, one carry-on bag and a knapsack/tote.

Watch those space bags -- they compress and you tend to get over on the weight. Airlines are really strict to the ounce on weight limits. Also the vacuum bags weigh a little something and can you get the clothes repacked in the vacuum bags so they fit for trip home? (just asking cause I don't know).

You cabin attendant may do it for you. If not, or if you're not on a ship, you can lift the little blue sealer and squeeze the air out manually. It's not quite as effective as the vacuum, but it will do as long as you haven't already taken up every inch of space.:)

The bags weigh slightly more than a large ziploc style baggie. The ones we sell at the luggage store compress by rolling them, no vacuum needed.

I use them for stuff I don't mind wrinkled, my lightweight robe (don't wear the ship ones...at all) underwear, pj's. If we were packing jackets I'd probably compress those, bearing in mind it's not for the weight but the space they take up.

I'll have to agree with Anita Latte, less can be more pleasant. I remember the first time I packed light it was a bit scary but I still came home with unworn clothing. Two things friends have taught me in life...take 2 days less clothing than you think you need (if your trip is 7 days, pack for a week otherwise) and travel light, even at home.

critterchick: where is your big vacation this time? If it is over in Europe, just be mindful of how small those taxis are! Two of you, two checked bags, two carryons and 2 "personal items" can be problematic in a taxi... If it's possible to get into one checked bag, it would be helpful for your land-based portion of the trip. Just sayin'....

In some views, everything has a perceived taxonomy.

For example,

Scotch drinkers are more adult than wine drinkers who are more adult than beer drinkers who are more adult than fancy frou-frou drink drinkers.

Black coffee drinkers >coffee with cream drinkers > coffee with cream & sugar > mocha latte double soy caramel.

So I think probably in packing proficiency,

clothes on their back > small backpacks > carry-on bags > 1 checked bag > 1 checked bag + 1 carryon > the trunk + 1 checked bag + 1 carryon + that tote bag that passes for a purse + the book + lunch + the shopping

Well, you get the idea. If you don't buy into the taxonomy, don't let it make you feel bad. If you do, shame on you if you try to make others feel bad. I think it is just that we are all different.

I keep trying to pack less and less - and I hate having to do it - but it is because I'm getting less able to drag around heavy bags and because we are traveling to places where there are often not elevators in the subways or the hotels. Putting heavy bags onto trains in Europe (and even in the US) is a nuisance. So it is entirely personal. I look with envy at the people who can still take multiple pieces of matched luggage.

I would like to be the lady traveling in a suit, high heels, and hat and gloves, with a hat box, makeup case, big suitcase, little suitcase and maybe a guy to carry it all for me. My husband has raised me to be independent and responsible for what I bring - so I'm trying to learn to carry less. Of course I don't dress like that - and never did, but we can all have our little fantasies.

Big question for you light packers - how do you keep from getting bored on a 14 day trip? My daughter went to Europe once with a backpack and a duffel bag for a month. She threw out the pants she wore when she returned because she had grown to hate them. I know the "one palette" idea, but what if I'm in the mood for orange, but I've only brought a blue palette? What if I want bright pink? Maybe it is me - maybe others are happy with limited choices. Maybe I'll learn it. But I'll still yearn to be that 1950s traveler with all her luggage.

Beth

Big question for you light packers - how do you keep from getting bored on a 14 day trip? My daughter went to Europe once with a backpack and a duffel bag for a month. She threw out the pants she wore when she returned because she had grown to hate them. I know the "one palette" idea, but what if I'm in the mood for orange, but I've only brought a blue palette? What if I want bright pink? Maybe it is me - maybe others are happy with limited choices. Maybe I'll learn it. But I'll still yearn to be that 1950s traveler with all her luggage.

Beth

I don't get bored. I bring different accessories to change outfits, I mix & match pants & tops, dresses & cardigans. My color palette usually has 3 or 4 colors (black, khaki, turquoise and red is my favorite) And at the end of the day, it just doesn't matter that much TO ME. That's a big difference for how a lot of people can pack light. If taking a lot of options is important for someone, that person isn't going to want to pack light. Period. And that's fine if they want to handle the other issues incumbent in packing more.

I spent my junior year in college living in Belgium. No money to shop and buy new things (poor student, you know, my money went to food, beer & travel!) and I did get rid of most of the things I had with me that year. Some things didn't fit (I lost weight due to all the walking -certainly not my healthy eating or drinking habits:rolleyes:) and I was just plain sick of most things. So I get that. But that was a year - 14 days is no problem. (ironically, I still have the duvet cover from that year, as well as a hair dryer & curling iron:p)

I am not a light or a heavy packer more a medium packer . I take one bag no matter how long the trip is and I do send out some laundry if necessary but a 22" suitcase holds plenty .When I first started cruising I wore a different dress & shoes every night now I take a few shoes that can be worn with several outfits . I also take items that can be mixed and matched.I have no interest in hauling more than one bag and no interest in trying to pack in a backpack.

I was just reading a thread where someone was sharing their packing list and asking if it sounded OK. I thought it sounded very light but there were several responders whose replies were the equivalent of OMG you have an extra shirt...take it out! Why is taking a few extra things a no-no? I don't understand. There is a baggage fee on most airlines, but really, people are willing to wear 2 pairs of pants and 3 or 4 tops over and over again to save a few dollars? I always take a few things I end up not wearing but I want to have a choice.

BTW I am going to Alaska next week and am probably taking too many clothes. I have no intention of wearing the same things aboard the ship in the evening that I do out in port. I have heard it rains a lot in Alaska so why would I risk wearing wet dirty pants to dinner after I wore them in port and then wear them again later in the cruise. I just simply do not understand.

PLease explain.

Thanks!!

I like to take my luggage as carry on even though I can check up to three bags free. The peace of mind is well worth it. And particularly in a place like Europe where getting to ports or from the airport to your hotel can be very expensive if you don't use mass transit, it's easy knowing you can easily manage your luggage without assistance and don't need to rely on very expensive cabs.

I wouldn't travel with just two pair of pants, that's kind of nuts--although I know people who have done so. On my recent trip I had a couple pair of pants and a couple of skirts that could do daytime or evening, plus another pair of pants and skirt only for the evening. I also had two pair of shorts for daytime. That means on a one week trip I'd repeat one bottom in the evening and one during the day. Very different from your two pair of pants for the entire trip scenario.

Ships have laundry services--some have DIY--and I have no problem spending three minutes each morning washing delicates in the sink and hanging them to dry in the shower or a couple of items out for cleaning. For those who need to pay to check a bag, it's cheaper to get three or four items cleaned over the course of the cruise than it is to pay the checked bag fee.

For Alaska I'd probably take a couple pair of jeans, a couple pair of chino type pants that could be worn on casual evenings, a pair of black dressy pants and a black tea length skirt with a few sparkly tops to cover the other dinners. Add in four long sleeve and two short sleeve silk knit tops which are hand washable, take zero packing space, and can be dressed up with a scarf or jewelry for dinner and are perfect under a fleece during the day and the packing list is complete.

It's all about thinking about the various uses that each item of clothing offers, sticking with a lot of neutrals and using things like scarves to add color, and finding clothing that packs small. There's no reason to bring six bulky sweaters when six silk knits that can be worn under a single fleece will keep you just as warm and offer the opportunity to remove a layer if you need to.

critterchick: where is your big vacation this time? If it is over in Europe, just be mindful of how small those taxis are! Two of you, two checked bags, two carryons and 2 "personal items" can be problematic in a taxi... If it's possible to get into one checked bag, it would be helpful for your land-based portion of the trip. Just sayin'....

We're taking the train, as we've done several times before with no issues, but thank you.:)

There's no reason to bring six bulky sweaters when six silk knits that can be worn under a single fleece will keep you just as warm and offer the opportunity to remove a layer if you need to.

I have finally gotten my husband to buy into this! I got him merino long underwear and silk long underwear, and on a trip to Amsterdam in November - he was convinced. He packed fewer pants, used the long underwear & stayed plenty warm ( we had snow & sleet every day but walked miles anyway).

We rented an apartment and had a washing machine (and dryer) so we were easily able to do carry-on only - which was great because we took the train from the airport to town and then walked to our rental, which was in the 2nd canal ring.

(of course, it's easier to pack light when you're wearing a winter coat - who sees what you're wearing? You can literally wear the same thing every day and no one would know:p)

I think I'm going to do a trial run on the packing next week while DH is out of town, just to see how it all fits. I believe I have everything figured out that is going on this cruise and have almost all of it here. With what I have I'll be able to tell if the extra skirt and top will fit easily.

If the stars align correctly it will all fit in a 22" pullman with a bit of room to spare, if not, I'll bump up to a 25". I'll also have my carry on, but only want to use that for jewelry, DH's medicine, ipad, ipod and kindle, and MAYBE a swimsuit for each of us. DH will not need a carry on, and should also be able to use just a 22" pullman. I do intend to pack a duffel in one of our suitcases so DH will have a carry on on the flight home that holds the souvineers for the kiddos.

I know the "one palette" idea, but what if I'm in the mood for orange, but I've only brought a blue palette? What if I want bright pink? Maybe it is me - maybe others are happy with limited choices. Maybe I'll learn it. But I'll still yearn to be that 1950s traveler with all her luggage.

Beth

When I say color palette, I define color palette in terms of temperature and clarity...I wear every color in the rainbow that is warm and muted. I have warm and muted blues, reds, yellows, oranges, greens, purples and with few exceptions...I COULD mix and match just about everything in my wardrobe. I don't mean to hijack this thread...so I apologize here if this post feels like this to anyone...BUT

I've been in the process of getting physically fit and healthier since Sept 2010...to date, I've lost around 60 pounds and over 13 inches from my waist alone...this has translated into needing new clothing, repeatedly...and since I do not have unlimited money to spend on clothing...I've had to make strategic clothing purchases for the past, well, almost 2 years now. I began by deciding that I wouldn't buy anything new until I had shrunk out of everything I owned for that type of clothing (i.e. jeans...) and then, and only then, I might buy some new jeans in my new size. And because the journey is still going...I literally own/owned one pair of jeans at a time. And I wear the heck out them...and I shop around like mad to find just the right pair in the first place.

What has ended up happening is this...because I get so picky about what I will spend my money on, because of my transitional wardrobe needs...when I want/need to wear jeans...it's the one pair...and if I owned more than one...I would wish that the ones I loved best were clean...same for most other items. So it isn't a hardship for me to have favorites...and for my favorites to be the only item like that I own. For instance, I own one maxi skirt...it's a pattern with some of my favorite colors...and I can make multiple different outfits based on this same skirt. When I'm in the mood to wear a long skirt...this is the one I want to wear...and it doesn't make me sad that it's the only long skirt I own.

My wardrobe is built like this...which is why it is so small to begin with...and why I'm one of those happy people with limited choices. I think the key is to find WHERE you want your choices to be in your wardrobe. Pick your go to staples and just get the variety in certain pieces...for me, that's shirts, earrings, and scarves.

Pack that rainbow......I take colors in my casual tunics, tees, tank tops, and shorts. My formal nights will be two different dresses....one is plum...the other us a white with plum roses. One pair of heels. Lay everything out u want to pack, then edit it as you pack it.

When I say color palette, I define color palette in terms of temperature and clarity...I wear every color in the rainbow that is warm and muted. I have warm and muted blues, reds, yellows, oranges, greens, purples and with few exceptions...I COULD mix and match just about everything in my wardrobe. I don't mean to hijack this thread...so I apologize here if this post feels like this to anyone...BUT

I've been in the process of getting physically fit and healthier since Sept 2010...to date, I've lost around 60 pounds and over 13 inches from my waist alone...this has translated into needing new clothing, repeatedly...and since I do not have unlimited money to spend on clothing...I've had to make strategic clothing purchases for the past, well, almost 2 years now. I began by deciding that I wouldn't buy anything new until I had shrunk out of everything I owned for that type of clothing (i.e. jeans...) and then, and only then, I might buy some new jeans in my new size. And because the journey is still going...I literally own/owned one pair of jeans at a time. And I wear the heck out them...and I shop around like mad to find just the right pair in the first place.

What has ended up happening is this...because I get so picky about what I will spend my money on, because of my transitional wardrobe needs...when I want/need to wear jeans...it's the one pair...and if I owned more than one...I would wish that the ones I loved best were clean...same for most other items. So it isn't a hardship for me to have favorites...and for my favorites to be the only item like that I own. For instance, I own one maxi skirt...it's a pattern with some of my favorite colors...and I can make multiple different outfits based on this same skirt. When I'm in the mood to wear a long skirt...this is the one I want to wear...and it doesn't make me sad that it's the only long skirt I own.

My wardrobe is built like this...which is why it is so small to begin with...and why I'm one of those happy people with limited choices. I think the key is to find WHERE you want your choices to be in your wardrobe. Pick your go to staples and just get the variety in certain pieces...for me, that's shirts, earrings, and scarves.

Anita, I would love to know what you did to lose the weight. I am trying, but struggling. If you're willing to share info: janandarno@gmail.com, email me so we don't hijack. Thanks!

For me, if anyone really cares lol, it's a leaning process, I am getting better with every cruise. I do stick with a color scheme mainly so I don't have to take so many pairs of shoes. I enjoy dressing nice in evening so lots of skirts, or dresses and a couple of pair of heels to match (yes I know I am on a cruiseship but I am a glutten for punishment I guess). Shorts for daytime which I seem to have my favorites and wear more than once. Tops, probably will still take to many. I like to plan my week ahead by trying on all my outfits before packing. I may not stick to these on the ship but love having a good idea of what I am going to wear.

Beth

I wasn't going to answer, since I'm far from the lightest packer in this group. But in the scheme of packing for a cruise, it does seem that I am on the lighter end of the spectrum. Maybe it's better to say I pack "smart" rather than "light".

For example, my formalwear and evening outfits all go with black. I have a long silk knit skirt for formal (with 2 tops) and dressy black pants for less formal. I bring only one pair of shoes for evenings that goes with both, and one small clutch.

For daytime, I also try to stick with a color scheme (usually black and white with a bit of color). I do bring two pairs of walking shoes (my cruises are heavy on cities with cobblestones and ancient ruins that require good footwear) as I do a ton of walking.

I generally pack enough tops for 7 days, but these tops also run the range from short-sleeved lightweight tees to long-sleeved, more substantial tops. So I may not end up wearing all of them if the weather is uniformly hot or cool.

Still, I feel that I have enough "choice" for me. And I guess it is just a difference in outlook. I used to be a heavy packer on trips. I ended up spending too much time packing, unpacking, hanging up, deciding what went with what, etc. It felt like a burden, rather than a plus. So I've steadily tried to do better and take only what I think I will need.

Boring? Well.....let's just say that when I am in Egypt and about to tour the tombs in the Valley of the Kings, or in Pompeii, or up on the Acropolis, being bored with my clothing is about the LAST thing on my mind. :D

LOL! Yes- but they know us- when hubby ordered a taxi for Barcelona, they emailed us and said being we were 4 people we would need a large taxi because of our luggage! And they were right-the large taxi was the size of a small SUV-and with our luggage we had it crammed. I hate to think what it would have been if we had not parred down what we had taken.

Yes, we Americans are used to having more than Europeans and they are willing to do with less. If you order a cola-it is 8 ounces, sometimes 12 and no refills- no complimentary tap water and you better say " no gas" if you do not want mineral water but the bright side for wine lovers is in some areas in Europe such as Paris you can get a glass of wine for about the same price as coke.

We landed in Rome around 9pm, after 18 hours of travel time. Our taxi driver had a sign, it was easy to find him (no way did we want to hassle with a train first time, late at night, etc...). He took one look at our luggage and gasped. We each had a suitcase (ranging 26-29 inches) a carry on and we ladies had tote bags.

The taxi was similar to the size of a Toyota Corolla, the trunk held one suitcase and one of the carry ons, we held our totes in our laps and were almost sitting on top of each other. This was a typical taxi. Thank goodness the taxi driver asked the other drivers and one with a large van happened to be going to our same hotel, he took the rest of our luggage.

Why the heck would a taxi company think 4 adult Americans would show up with only carry on luggage, in a car too small for 5??? :p

We thought we had cut back to the bone on packing for our Med cruise! If you can do it with carry on only, that's the best way to travel to Europe.

I don't get bored with a cruise, trust me. I just feel boring when I'm wearing all one color all the time. I'll take the advice given though and adapt it to my use. Thanks. I think a few scarves and maybe vests will help.

Beth

I don't get bored with a cruise, trust me. I just feel boring when I'm wearing all one color all the time. I'll take the advice given though and adapt it to my use. Thanks. I think a few scarves and maybe vests will help.

Beth

If all you're interested in is paring down what you pack, and not going full-on "around the world in a backpack" packing, then limiting "bottoms" while including a few more options for "tops" - that all go with the bottoms - is a good way to start.

(I say "bottoms" because it's general enough to include whatever is appropriate for the climate and your style - shorts, skirts, slacks, caprs, etc)

I don't get why some people are so proud of the fact they travel with very little and manage to cram it into one carryon. As Shania Twain says "that don't impress me much". I take what I think I will need and ususally a few extra just in case. I can't be the only one who spills on themselves, can I? I like to be prepared.

Also, if I'm spending several thousand dollars on a holiday, what's a few more dollars for luggage fees? ;)

If we had a like button here I'd click on it. Bu instead I'll just say that I agree wholeheartedly.

Archived