Packing ****s- just curious.

basil1

I was just reading a thread where someone was sharing their packing list and asking if it sounded OK. I thought it sounded very light but there were several responders whose replies were the equivalent of OMG you have an extra shirt...take it out! Why is taking a few extra things a no-no? I don't understand. There is a baggage fee on most airlines, but really, people are willing to wear 2 pairs of pants and 3 or 4 tops over and over again to save a few dollars? I always take a few things I end up not wearing but I want to have a choice.

BTW I am going to Alaska next week and am probably taking too many clothes. I have no intention of wearing the same things aboard the ship in the evening that I do out in port. I have heard it rains a lot in Alaska so why would I risk wearing wet dirty pants to dinner after I wore them in port and then wear them again later in the cruise. I just simply do not understand.

PLease explain.

Thanks!!

I agree, I always take too much, no matter what holiday I'm going on! But i would much rather have too much and cover all eventualities than have too little! I never go over my luggage allowance but always take my maximum allowance.

I'm with you....I don't care if I have too much stuff....rather more than not enough! I can understand if you have to watch weights for airlines....but I can spread the weight through several bags and still have plenty of stuff!

I know there are folks who take great pride in traveling with 2 pair of pants, 2 shirts and washing underwear in the sink nightly.....good for them! I don't want to handwash...I and love my choices!

I don't get why some people are so proud of the fact they travel with very little and manage to cram it into one carryon. As Shania Twain says "that don't impress me much". I take what I think I will need and ususally a few extra just in case. I can't be the only one who spills on themselves, can I? I like to be prepared.

Also, if I'm spending several thousand dollars on a holiday, what's a few more dollars for luggage fees? ;)

My title was bleeped, but I didn't use a bad word- very strange!

Well that's bizarre! What was the word? Styles?

Sign me up as an over packer. I'd rather have too much than not enough. It helps that I don't fly. Driving affords me the luxury of bringing whatever I want.

I get it if you're trying to just pack in a carry on, but otherwise, it's just packing bragging rights I guess. We always fly SWA or drive, so # of bags is not an issue for us. I like selection as well, but I do try to stick to a color palette. We've also had laundry done on the ship. Fewer # of bags is easier to manuever - since we have an 11yo who can only handle his carry on. We each take a carry on (I've had 2 before) and we try to only have 2 large checked bags, though for Alaska we had 3. I've gotten better at packing less, but that's just for our sakes, not the "who packs the least" contest.

We try to pack carryon now since the debacle in Anchorage after a cruise. The whole baggage conveyor belt system for Alaska Airlines went down. No luggage could be checked once the secured areas were full. What was a three hour window became a rush to the gate.

(This has become a great travel story, complete with a checkin gal telling her long line that she had to leave and the crowd out for blood.:eek:)

I think it's just personal preference. If someone asked me for packing advice, and I'm a light packer, that is the advice I would give. I have packed my friends bags for their vacations because I'm good at it.:)

I pack light not for bragging rights, but because I usually end up moving around a lot (lots of trains, subways, buses, taxis, etc.) and I have to carry my own bags. Back in the days of showing up to a port and hopping on a cruise ship then hopping off and going straight home- you bet I packed everything I could possibly need and then some. But now I try to get the most enjoyment out of my vacation time. For me, that means sometimes carrying my bag with me to a restaurant or walking with it to avoid doubling back or paying storage fees. This is just me, and it doesn't work for everyone.

Some people only pack what they need, some pack everything they want. If I can pack all my needs and some wants in a carry on bag, great! If it doesn't fit I either downsize or have to take another bag. Some have had their bags lost or delayed and don't want to worry if they make it or not. Some people just get adamant about their opinion being the only right one:rolleyes:. To each his/her own! :D

I was just reading a thread where someone was sharing their packing list and asking if it sounded OK. I thought it sounded very light but there were several responders whose replies were the equivalent of OMG you have an extra shirt...take it out! Why is taking a few extra things a no-no? I don't understand. There is a baggage fee on most airlines, but really, people are willing to wear 2 pairs of pants and 3 or 4 tops over and over again to save a few dollars? I always take a few things I end up not wearing but I want to have a choice.

BTW I am going to Alaska next week and am probably taking too many clothes. I have no intention of wearing the same things aboard the ship in the evening that I do out in port. I have heard it rains a lot in Alaska so why would I risk wearing wet dirty pants to dinner after I wore them in port and then wear them again later in the cruise. I just simply do not understand.

PLease explain.

Thanks!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of online forums. If someone asks for an opinion, others are going to answer based on their own perspective. The poster is free to take or leave the comments.

I don't understand what is hard to understand about people giving their viewpoint when someone else asks. It's not as if it is unsolicited.... :confused:

Everyone's got their own packing style. Some feel better taking less and some like to take more. Sounds like there should be understanding on BOTH sides of the issue.

I am trying to pack lighter with each trip I take. I've become disenchanted with dragging lots of luggage around (I travel mostly solo) and I enjoy the challenge of putting together a wardrobe that will give me a lot of different, appropriate looks from fewer pieces. No, I don't bring two pairs of pants only, and no I wouldn't wear dirty clothes to dinner. And I certainly don't do it to save a few dollars.

P.S. If the term you used has to do with a certain mid-20th century political party in Germany, it will be automatically zapped by CC's software as a negative and offensive (to some) term.

It is never about the luggage fees. In the scheme of things even $50 is not what makes or breaks a trip. Lugging heavy luggage and having to deal with small elevators, taxi trunks that won't hold 2 suitcases or have the driver's items flowing out (not to mention taxi drivers who won't lift your bag in because of "bad back"), cobblestones and tall curbs, dirt/stone/gravel/brick or etc paths to get back to the better sidewalk, trains with no place for luggage, broken wheel on the bag:(. I never take more than I can carry or drag and for me last year was 42 pounds but I'm not as good this year after a broken foot so 40 pounds is the max! Carryon will be a medium Ameribag back saver bag (10 pounds).

Next trip is 30 days. I will not be dirty. I won't be flashy but I will have what I need for temps between freezing and 95 degrees F. Hardest is cosmetics, shoes and heavy winter coat but even harder is dragging too much stuff. It ruins the trip faster than any other factor.

I don't think one way is right and the other wrong, and honestly there are people in the middle as well. We are planning a trip to Europe next summer, including a 12 night Med cruise, a couple of days in port on either side, and then two weeks in Paris. I'm planning to take one carry on. Just one! Not sure how I'll manage, and yes I'll most likely be doing laundry while on the trip, but I'm packing light not to save a few dollars (since I can take a checked bag free of charge overseas) but so I can get from point A to point B easily, quickly, and hopefully (if I pack correctly) stylishly.

Plus I figured then I have the leeway to buy a few things while over there and if I need to get a duffle bag and check it on the way home, no worries, I'm just going home! :D

It is never about the luggage fees. In the scheme of things even $50 is not what makes or breaks a trip. Lugging heavy luggage and having to deal with small elevators, taxi trunks that won't hold 2 suitcases or have the driver's items flowing out (not to mention taxi drivers who won't lift your bag in because of "bad back"), cobblestones and tall curbs, dirt/stone/gravel/brick or etc paths to get back to the better sidewalk, trains with no place for luggage, broken wheel on the bag:(. I never take more than I can carry or drag and for me last year was 42 pounds but I'm not as good this year after a broken foot so 40 pounds is the max! Carryon will be a medium Ameribag back saver bag (10 pounds).

Next trip is 30 days. I will not be dirty. I won't be flashy but I will have what I need for temps between freezing and 95 degrees F. Hardest is cosmetics, shoes and heavy winter coat but even harder is dragging too much stuff. It ruins the trip faster than any other factor.

OMG-that is Europe in a nutshell-what you said. We thought we packed light ( a carry on and 1 checked bag each for a 2 week trip)-but still the 4 of us and our luggage could not fit in those dinky elevators-we went up in pairs. Of course we already knew this from previous trips which is why we wanted to check 1 bag.

To the OP-when flying overseas you are allowed one checked bag at no extra fee-and when we fly Delta it is free also in the US because of our AMX card. So that is not our problem. It is more as this post above said-keeping up with the luggage. I can handle a rolling bag in each arm okay-I do not want to carry more than that.

Lightweight jersey and nylon materials drys fast too-so it it is easy to rinse out a few things-which I did this last cruise-of course we had intended to use the ship's laundry service but it was unavailable until we got to Naples-which was the 3rd to last day of our 12 day cruise-by that point we figured why bother (although we had sent out things to be pressed-ship's irons still worked I guess-not sure what the problem was with the laundry)-I was sure glad I had packed the liquid Tide travel packets which I had meant for "just in case."

I would rather have too much than too little, you never know when you are going to burst that dress zipper, spill red wine over your only sweater or snap a heel.

My latest challenge will be to pack just enough for our short cruise on the Disney Dream next month, I am going to try and get the balance just right, including the outfit for Pirate night:eek:!!!!!

We're like a lot of you folks. We each take one piece of checked luggage and we have learned to use lighter weight fabrics enabling us to take more so we can have more choices in what we're wearing. We have learned to package personal products into smaller, disposable containers. We take as much as we can but always stay under the 50 pound limit. So far it hasn't been a problem to have a checked piece and a carryon but if you can do it that's wonderful.

I travel light (one carryone usually) because i am a control freak when i travel and don't want to risk my stuff being lost or misdirected :eek: Also, I am usually doing several cities and lots of trains etc and it just makes life easier. PLUS i am also a big shopper and one bag limits my splurges!

Happy packing and travelling whatever your "style"

My golden rule, half the clothes, twice the money! :D

I also have noticed people/posters believing their way is the only way to pack.

I am finding that as I'm starting to think about what I will be taking on my September cruise my packing style is evolving from last years cruise. I'm packing smarter, for ME. Less? No. More? No. Just different. I came home with a lot of things last time that I didn't wear, and I'm sure I will this time too. Here are a few of my changes, both cruises are the same length...seven days.

~more dresses. I wished I had had more than two with me last time. This time there will be seven. :rolleyes:

~fewer shorts. I lived in swimsuits more than expected last time. :cool:

~smarter shoe choices. My feet swelled, a LOT, last time and shoes that I took didn't fit! :eek: this time I'll take that pair of tennis shoes that is a little big on a normal day!

~accessories. I wanted choices last time and didn't have them. :(

~yoga pants. I didn't take any lounge/comfy clothes last time. Some time you just want those veg out clothes for a late nite movie on the lido or a midnight snack run!:D

~make-up. I'll be taking less. Last time I took a lot of little extras that I don't usually wear day-to-day, and found I didn't use them on the cruise either. Tis time I'll take my normal daily stuff and that's about it.

I will still have more clothes than I'll wear because I like options, but like I said, the overall packing process will be smarter this time!

I also have noticed people/posters believing their way is the only way to pack.

I am finding that as I'm starting to think about what I will be taking on my September cruise my packing style is evolving from last years cruise. I'm packing smarter, for ME. Less? No. More? No. Just different. I came home with a lot of things last time that I didn't wear, and I'm sure I will this time too. Here are a few of my changes, both cruises are the same length...seven days.

~more dresses. I wished I had had more than two with me last time. This time there will be seven. :rolleyes:

~fewer shorts. I lived in swimsuits more than expected last time. :cool:

~smarter shoe choices. My feet swelled, a LOT, last time and shoes that I took didn't fit! :eek: this time I'll take that pair of tennis shoes that is a little big on a normal day!

~accessories. I wanted choices last time and didn't have them. :(

~yoga pants. I didn't take any lounge/comfy clothes last time. Some time you just want those veg out clothes for a late nite movie on the lido or a midnight snack run!:D

~make-up. I'll be taking less. Last time I took a lot of little extras that I don't usually wear day-to-day, and found I didn't use them on the cruise either. Tis time I'll take my normal daily stuff and that's about it.

I will still have more clothes than I'll wear because I like options, but like I said, the overall packing process will be smarter this time!

Thanks! I like your thoughts! I'm going on a 14 day trip. I just tried on my dresses & thought I should only take 3. Now I'll take more.

If it were just a few $ then it wouldn't be much of a concern, but it's more than a few $ to go over weight or to have a second bag. An extra $35 each way and I don't care to spend that much on luggage fees...a $70 bottle of wine, yes ;) Some people wouldn't blink at spending more than that for choices in clothing, it's an individual choice.

I have my own packing style just like most people do here. I'd bet that most who see me every night would have no idea that I wear the same pair of black (or other color) pants several times and I don't care if they do. For me it is more ease of handling our own bags more than anything else. I just resent having to pack/unpack/repack and haul all the extra clothes that go home clean, I want everything worn a couple times and come home dirty. BTW, I don't wear dirty or sloppy clothing, we spend maybe $25 on a week long cruise on laundry/dry cleaning a few things.

I really think that it's absolutely fine to let people know that packing light is a good thing, I wish I'd read it the first time I cruised. I wish I had known that I would wear less than half the clothing I took. It actually took me a couple more cruises to figure it out and the nice thing is, more practice (more cruises) perfects my packing :)

On the other hand, if you don't mind spending $70 or even more just to have a selection of clothing, go for it.

I have pared down a little through the years but still pack too much for DH and me. (I do his packing.) We don't wear the same clothes day and evening at home and don't want to on a cruise. I will rewear a pair of black pants a few nights as chances are very good they didn't get soiled from wearing them to a lovely dinner.

If we end up with an extra suitcase and have to pay $30 to the airline, we call it part of our cruise expense.

If I don't have at least a few choices in my closet, it would be less enjoyable for me. :)

No implication that being a super light packer is in any way wrong. I was just wondering the reasoning behind it and you have answered that question very nicely.

I have done 3 two week European cruises and my husband and I took a carry on each, one super fat garment bag and one (not each) large suitcase and were able to get everything we needed. We had to do one load of laundry mid cruise. I don't mind laundry during a two week cruise but one week isn't long enough to justify that time (for me).

I consider myself a moderate packer but I always have an extra something that I don't wear :-)

I like others enjoy having a choice each day.

On our first cruise we WAY over packed. Funny thing is DH packed tons more than I did, lol. I tried to plan out outfits but know that I'm very indecisive and need at least one other option for a few days. Our goal this time is to pack

less. I will have options for each day, no doubt but don't want to do what we did last time :-) am also planning for lots of linen this time around...it's cooler and looser and for me, it's more about comfort.

We've also purchased some space bags (for travel) and hope they work well. Everyone's needs are different, but I love reading the different perspectives as I can usually take something from the different POV.

First cruise...loads of stuff! Came back with lots not worn...2 large carryons, 4 checked bags (in the days before luggage fees *sigh*)

Last cruise, tried to go just carryon, but didn't want the hassle of buy toiletries in port, etc. So 2 carryons and 1 checked bag for the 2 of us.

Next cruise...2 week land vacation followed by 6 weeks at sea....crazy amount of stuff! Hoping to fit it all in 2 carryons and 3 checked bags...but it might be 4. It is not somuch clothes...as 'stuff'! We wear all the clothes we take, with exceptions of raincoats and sweaters...most gets worn a few times and laundered...Now, to just limit the *stuff*!

Thankfully we drive to the port, because I am an over-packer. I like choices, and to wear something to dinner most nights, and lots of shoes, and and and. I am going to pare down one suitcase next cruise.....or so I tell myself.

Archived