squishable carry on?

Sea Hag

My DH and I are flying out on Alaska Airlines, and we're trying to manage our packing. We both need a carry on, since we're doing a trip to Prudhoe Bay in a small plane. He doesn't necessarily want or need to have a carry on for the flight to Anchorage. We both want to bring heavy jackets, since we're doing a glacier day cruise out of Whittier and want to be outside for the entire cruise.

Getting tired of reading? I'm coming to the point. :D

If he puts his big jacket into his intended carry on for the Prudhoe Bay trip, it's likely to be too fluffy to fit into the carry on qualifier box (even though I've never seen this used). Do airlines, Alaska specifically, allow for a "squish" factor for carry ons? The bag would still fit under the seat in fron of him, since it's definitely squishable, and he wouldn't need to lug around a heavier carry on during the long layover we have in Portland.

Any thoughts on this?

I honestly am not really sure you need to bring a "heavy" jacket for this excursion. But, if you need one, I'd also just carry it on and cram it ontop of people's bags in the overhead bin.

Or, you can purchase a jacket that "squishes" up into its own carrying bag if you don't mind spending the money for a new one.

Thanks rugrats. We know from experience that we do need heavy jackets for glacier watching. We're old and live where it doesn't ever get very cold, so we're really wimps. I think we'll just turn up at the airport with the jacket in the duffel and if we're told it's too big then he'll take it out and put it on. They can't complain of that! :)

Thanks rugrats. We know from experience that we do need heavy jackets for glacier watching. We're old and live where it doesn't ever get very cold, so we're really wimps. I think we'll just turn up at the airport with the jacket in the duffel and if we're told it's too big then he'll take it out and put it on. They can't complain of that! :)

You should be fine, as you can always take it out, and I honestly doubt anyone will pay attention to it anyway.

If your going to Prudhoe Bay on Alaska Airlines, youre still going to be on a 737. You won't need to worry about the carry on size any more than normal.

San Jose to Anchorage, drive to Fairbanks, small plane to Prudhoe Bay. :)

If the big jackets get to go to Prudhoe Bay - and I imagine they really want to go - they'll get worn or carried onto the little plane.

It was only the carry on in San Jose and Portland that I was wondering about. I think we've got it covered now. We put it into the bottom compartment of his rolling duffle. Didn't think we'd have room but it turned out that we did.

Thanks to everybody who replied! :)

Archived