Which Western Caribbean cruise?

Tmaxx1

We have two options for Carnival leaving from New Orleans port:

1. Cozumel, Roatan, Belize

2. Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica

We've not been to any of these places. Keep in mind there are 4 in our family, so we don't have alot to spend on excursions. We like to snorkel and would like to be able to walk or take a taxi to snorkel spots.

Thanks!

Definitely #1. Roatan is the most beautiful place I've been to (out of 8 islands in 7 countries). Belize has a wonderful private island/snorkeling/manatee watch excursion you can book on your own that's breathtaking. Cozumel is ok, but not that great to me personally. Grand Cayman was decent. Jamaica is a pretty place, but can be a little scary depending on where you are.

We have two options for Carnival leaving from New Orleans port:

1. Cozumel, Roatan, Belize

2. Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica

We've not been to any of these places. Keep in mind there are 4 in our family, so we don't have alot to spend on excursions. We like to snorkel and would like to be able to walk or take a taxi to snorkel spots.

Thanks!

While I don't care for Jamaica at all, Cayman and Cozumel are very nice and are great for snorkeling so I would go with number 2.

Keith

For the number 1 option (which we are leaning towards) we would be going to Roatan and Cozumel as well. If we snorkel at Cozumel and Roatan, perhaps we do something at Belize that is unique to the area? If we were to pay for an excursion on Belize, what would be the most bang for the buck? Any suggestions? We have a 13 year old son and a 9 year old daughter.

For the number 1 option (which we are leaning towards) we would be going to Roatan and Cozumel as well. If we snorkel at Cozumel and Roatan, perhaps we do something at Belize that is unique to the area? If we were to pay for an excursion on Belize, what would be the most bang for the buck? Any suggestions? We have a 13 year old son and a 9 year old daughter.

Belize has a reef second only to the Great Barrier in Australia.That's pretty unique.

~Doris~

Belize has a reef second only to the Great Barrier in Australia.That's pretty unique.

~Doris~

The tour I mentioned earlier takes you snorkeling at the reef in Belize mentioned by Doris - it's extremely beautiful and you see so many types of fish and sea life (we were lucky enough to swim by a huge sea turtle even). You board a boat just up the pier from from where you dock and take a quick ride to the private island. Those who don't wish to snorkel are dropped off on the island then the boat continues to the reef. You snorkel for around an hour I think it was and then return to the island for some beach time (free floats, kayaks, etc., a self pay bar and restaurant, bathrooms, showers, and necessities). On the way back to the mainland, you stop for some manatee watching (kids loved this). The price was very reasonable too ($60/adult with snorkel, $50/adult no snorkel; $55/kids with snorkel, $45/kids no snorkel; under 3 free).

In Roatan we booked a private tour for $25 pp and could choose anything we wanted to do/see. We ended up touring most of the island, stopping to pet monkeys, lots of photo opportunities and then a couple of hours at the beach. Our guide's name was Jonathon and highly recommend him as well.

I have tons of pics of all the places on my Facebook. If you'd like to check them out, send me a PM on here and I'll add you.

The tour I mentioned earlier takes you snorkeling at the reef in Belize mentioned by Doris - it's extremely beautiful and you see so many types of fish and sea life (we were lucky enough to swim by a huge sea turtle even). You board a boat just up the pier from from where you dock and take a quick ride to the private island. Those who don't wish to snorkel are dropped off on the island then the boat continues to the reef. You snorkel for around an hour I think it was and then return to the island for some beach time (free floats, kayaks, etc., a self pay bar and restaurant, bathrooms, showers, and necessities). On the way back to the mainland, you stop for some manatee watching (kids loved this). The price was very reasonable too ($60/adult with snorkel, $50/adult no snorkel; $55/kids with snorkel, $45/kids no snorkel; under 3 free).

In Roatan we booked a private tour for $25 pp and could choose anything we wanted to do/see. We ended up touring most of the island, stopping to pet monkeys, lots of photo opportunities and then a couple of hours at the beach. Our guide's name was Jonathon and highly recommend him as well.

I have tons of pics of all the places on my Facebook. If you'd like to check them out, send me a PM on here and I'll add you.

There is no PM on here :(

I have been to all of these places several times and will be going again in a little over 3 months.

Snorkeling is our favorite thing to do.

Cozumel has been our favorite port to do this in and we went twice in 6 months (and it's a port on the cruise we have coming up as well) because we love it so much.

I can give you the links to both of my reviews from the last 2 cruises with tons of pictures if you are interested. :)

If you choose the itinerary with Jamaica, you can take an excursion either through the cruiseline or with a private vendor (www.knowjamaica.com, for example) to go river tubing. It is one of the best excursions we have ever done, especially for the kids, and both the cruiseline guides and private tour guides Marva and Javia Shaw took excellent care of us. We felt safe and at ease at all times. (We didn't want to do a full package excursion in Jamaica, so Marva did a custom tour for us just river tubing and gave us an excellent price - she is very accomodating, flexible and easy to work with)

I'd probably do # 1, mostly because we've only done that itinerary once while we've been to the other places multiple times.

That said, probably # 2 will probably be cheaper for a family. On Grand Cayman you can taxi or even walk to 7 mile beach. There is some snorkeling in walking distance of port, though I haven't done that. We've done the stingray excursions twice.

Cosumel has many different options; snorkeling is not great here, or in Jamaica.

Belize has great snorkeling, though we did the cave tubing expedition here. Roatan has decent snorkeling right off the beach.

In each of these ports private excursions will be much more affordable than ship excursions (usually).

Archived