The Unloved Solo

thephantomsgirl

This is all very strange! We have cruised on Carnival several times. My sister goes solo and for every cruise she has booked she was charged 200%! The only difference in her fare and ours traveling as 2 passengers is she pays a little less in port charges.

So I'm really confused. Is it different in different parts of the US? She has never paid 175%.

This is all very strange! We have cruised on Carnival several times. My sister goes solo and for every cruise she has booked she was charged 200%! The only difference in her fare and ours traveling as 2 passengers is she pays a little less in port charges.

So I'm really confused. Is it different in different parts of the US? She has never paid 175%.

Carnival is 200% and you pay deposit for two people even though only one is traveling. Royal Caribbean is 150-175% and you pay deposit for only one person. Both you only pay port charges and tips for one person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Edited by MrFunInTheSun

I think people are too hung up in the percentages. I look at the total cost and what seems fair. Yes, you can cruise solo on Carnival for less than the cost of a studio on Epic or Breakaway. However, the solo experience on Epic (and I would assume Breakaway) is FAR superior to any solo experience I've had on Carnival (and I've LOVED my Carnival solo cruises). I've done 3 solo cruises in studios on Epic, and I don't want to go solo on any other line! I will only do Carnival again if I have someone to sail with me.

What were your experiences on RCCL? I have cruised Carnival twice as a solo and neither time was bad. The crew has always been super and very protective towards me

Actually your sister pays for 2 port charges which are embedded in the cruisefare.

A lot of people use the term port charges when they are talking about the add on fees and taxes and somehow assume those are port charges?

Some cruiselines take out the 2nd port charges from the cruisefare if you cruise solo. Carnival used to do this, but now you pay two cruisefares in total which include two port charges.

Carnival is 200% and you pay deposit for two people even though only one is traveling. Royal Caribbean is 150-175% and you pay deposit for only one person. Both you only pay port charges and tips for one person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Symantec's......Pay now or pay later...Deposit is a portion of the total cost anyways. I do not care if I pay for 20 percent or 60 percent up front...I still have to pay for 100 percent some time before I cruise.

Yea it sucks that a solo has to pay more then 100%, but hey, if they did not, then all the rooms would be single booked (don't tell me if you had the chance to have 175 sq ft alone or share with a friend, you would pick share.....) and the company would lose big time.

On day of sailing the question I would ask myself is after it was all paid, how much did I really pay... With prices cheaper on CCL but higher deposit, and RCCL higher priced but lower deposit, I would think it was a wash.....

As the tax man says....Pay now or Pay later....:o

On RCL you actually do in most cases pay 200% base fare.

The difference between RCL and Carnival pricing for solos is that on RCL you pay 1 port charge, known as non commissionable charge that is included in the main fare that you see when you book. This hidden charge is usually more than the tax that is not hidden.

Carnival charges for 2 passengers even with a solo booking.

Both line charges for 1 set of taxes.

Edited by SeaUs

Symantec's......Pay now or pay later...Deposit is a portion of the total cost anyways. I do not care if I pay for 20 percent or 60 percent up front...I still have to pay for 100 percent some time before I cruise.

Yea it sucks that a solo has to pay more then 100%, but hey, if they did not, then all the rooms would be single booked (don't tell me if you had the chance to have 175 sq ft alone or share with a friend, you would pick share.....) and the company would lose big time.

On day of sailing the question I would ask myself is after it was all paid, how much did I really pay... With prices cheaper on CCL but higher deposit, and RCCL higher priced but lower deposit, I would think it was a wash.....

As the tax man says....Pay now or Pay later....:o

My last cruise on RCL had 0% solo supplement on RCL. The poster was just giving a average/range of what RCL charges solos. It could also be nothing extra, such as my last cruise. I paid $319 plus taxes and fees, $410.XX total.

Carnival always charges me 200%, so sometimes for solos Carnival is not always cheaper. Check around.

My last cruise on RCL had 0% solo supplement on RCL. The poster was just giving a average/range of what RCL charges solos. It could also be nothing extra, such as my last cruise. I paid $319 plus taxes and fees, $410.XX total.

Carnival always charges me 200%, so sometimes for solos Carnival is not always cheaper. Check around.

Thanks that's good to know...

My sister is looking for a cabin mate now for an Alaska cruise with us next year on CCL. I will have her call RCCL to see if they currently charge a supplement. If she does not have to pay the supplement, I will canx the CCL and book on RCCL to help her out. I like both lines anyways....

Edited by FireEater

Thanks that's good to know...

My sister is looking for a cabin mate now for an Alaska cruise with us next year on CCL. I will have her call RCCL to see if they currently charge a supplement. If she does not have to pay the supplement, I will canx the CCL and book on RCCL to help her out. I like both lines anyways....

And Ive seen them charge one amount for insides, another for OVs and then 0% for a balcony, making the balcony cheaper?

Im solo to Alaska myself, too bad I didnt know your sister, lol, she could have come with me. Im on Miracle though, like you.

At least you live in Florida and can do other cruiselines some of which when you dig for the ones not 200% can be cheaper than Carnival, but they are usually on the last minute tuesday deals... almost all of those are less than 200%.

Living in Dallas TX, Carnival is about the only choice I can drive to year round.

tell em fire fly

actually, went with two friends (married) so I got my own cabin. My complaint against CCL: I paid more for my interior cabin than they did for a room with a view! We booked the same weekend, same rate plan, etc.

Yes, I understand there is one person less to potentially gamble, drink, buy items in the onboard shops, use the spa, book excursions.

However, I am just one person to eat food, clean up after and entertain. Good point about the port fees for singles....I never saw a credit for the "second" of those.

I wouldn't choose to cruise solo again - I'll take a friend, any friend and pay their way now that I know it would have actually been cheaper!

What were your experiences on RCCL? I have cruised Carnival twice as a solo and neither time was bad. The crew has always been super and very protective towards me

I've only done one RCI cruise, and I was not solo, so I can't speak of the solo experience on Royal. I've done 3 solo Carnival and 3 solo on Epic. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Carnival solo cruises; I just enjoy the Epic solo experience better. I met a great group of people on my cruise last month; we're doing a reunion cruise next year! So much of the solo experience is based on who you meet; the Epic makes that easy. Age ranges from late 20s to 70s+. The last night of my last Epic cruise, I ate dinner with 6 fabulous ladies ranging in age from 36(me) to 74. Another night I ate with a group where I was the oldest. The lounge and happy hours make it easy to meet others.

I am one that thinks that getting charged double because I am traveling alone is unfair. But I will tell you what made it a little easier to pay for two while cruising solo. My first cruise was supposed to be 4 friends from work. By the time the cruise went 2 had backed out so I went with one other friend. We had fun but every night I had to hear his horrible snoring. Earplugs and even trying to listen to music with those inside of the ear head phones didn't work. I was miserable every night.

My second cruise I went solo and slept in peace, did what I wanted when I wanted. So the way I think about it is, I guess I am paying to have my own room, my privacy, and freedom. Yes, it sucks that Carnival and others may charge double. But I try to find the lowest price I can and deal with it. If I had a significant other to cruise with then I would love cruise with her. But being single now I'm not going to skip a nice cruise. I just try to make the best of it. But my next cruise I will be going on the EPIC in one of the studio rooms.

I don't think the number of solo's is enough that if we all stopped cruising on lines that charged 200%, that they would notice the difference. And yes we have a choice. Either we pay and cruise or we avoid them and make a point. I don't think they'd care really.

Hey Firemedt,

I know this isn't directly related to cruising solo, but your friend who snores probably has sleep apnea. My ex would sleep on the other side of the house because I snored so loud. Turns out a sleep study and a CPAP machine kept me from suffocating. And now I have so much more energy from getting quality sleep. That said, there is something to be said for sailing solo and doing whatever you want whenever you want. Especially if you meet people easily...i still keep up with a group I met a couple of years ago on the Epic.

I haven't minded sailing solo on Carnival I've met great people at meals (I do ATD). I've also met people at trivia and karaoke. I just wish the cost was lower!

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

If you travel when school is in session, you can get get some very good deals on Royal Caribbean.

Last May, I booked an eight night Brilliance of the Seas cruise for 699 including taxes and port fees. About 3 weeks before, I upgraded to an oceanview for an additional 105.

It was the first cruise to leave NJ after Hurricane Sandy. Had a great time on my first solo cruise.

200 % !! It just goes to show that people like me are odd-balls who nobody loves. Something must be wrong with us not to have a soul-mate who shares our travel interest :p

Edited by Thoth

I've really enjoyed ready hreads about solo cruising. It's not something I considered until recently.

I travel with my husband but also travel alone as I get more holidays and he's not interested really.

We just did 2 cruises and he really likes to just lay around in the room reading etc whereas I want to get out and explore.

I would prefer to go with a girlfriend but I live in Australia so cruises nearby are limited. The airfares are prohibitive for most people so it looks like cruising solo is more likely.

I can understand also wanting to have a cabin to yourself. I have some good friends but I wouldn't want to be in a cabin with some of them. One never feels the cold and her house is always freezing. That would not suit me. Another gets up at 5.30am.:eek:

I haven't noticed a lot of single people on cruises but met 2 recently. One by choice, one because her husband left her just before the cruise and the cruise line wouldn't let her add anyone. Brave lady- cried a lot for first days.

I do travel alone and have recently joined some small group land tours that cater for singles and don't charge single suppliment (intrepid tours).

am loking at doing one with my mum and brother but think I'll have my own cabin. My brother can contend with mum. LOL:p

So now I'm searching for a cruise. I might have to wait until January to head up north though as that's when I have 5 weeks off. :D

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic so please don't take it that way. I guess I am fortunate that I have never been a position to ever have to cruise solo.

My question is, do those that cruise solo do that as a choice? Do they prefer to be alone? If that is the case I think that it would be a premium you would need to pay for.

Even if I didn't have my husband, I can always find someone to share my room, a sister or a friend.

Please explain to me why some would choose to sail solo, and why they should get breaks when they are in a cabin that could accomodate more people.

Once again, please do not take this as a flame, it is not intended to be. I just need a better understanding as to why this is such an issue.

Some of us cruise solo because we love cruising and prefer to have our own room and others have nobody to cruise with and do not care to share with a stranger. If you were on a business trip by yourself and stopped at a hotel and motel that had a sign that said "Double Room $95" and when you got to the desk and the clerk told you that because the room is for 2 that you must pay $190 -- would you stay there? Any cruise line that charges a solo cruiser less than 200% is not giving us "a break" it simply a more fair and reasonable price for the customer.

Some of us cruise solo because we love cruising and prefer to have our own room and others have nobody to cruise with and do not care to share with a stranger. If you were on a business trip by yourself and stopped at a hotel and motel that had a sign that said "Double Room $95" and when you got to the desk and the clerk told you that because the room is for 2 that you must pay $190 -- would you stay there? Any cruise line that charges a solo cruiser less than 200% is not giving us "a break" it simply a more fair and reasonable price for the customer.

Hi :) So you appreciate the lines for hitting you up at 200% :confused: ?

Comparing hotels to ships, hotels charge more per extra person. In a hotel that extra person is an extra mouth at breakfast and they will charge you more. Perhaps the problem is in marketing. Perhaps the ships should market the cruise as $1000 per room, not as $500 per person as they do. Considering that a solo cruiser is not eating enough food for two, maybe 150% is a fair compromise ?

All things considered I think charging a 200% rate is a bit discriminatory. :(

Edited by Thoth

Hi :) So you appreciate the lines for hitting you up at 200% :confused: ?

Comparing hotels to ships, hotels charge more per extra person. In a hotel that extra person is an extra mouth at breakfast and they will charge you more. Perhaps the problem is in marketing. Perhaps the ships should market the cruise as $1000 per room, not as $500 per person as they do. Considering that a solo cruiser is not eating enough food for two, maybe 150% is a fair compromise ?

All things considered I think charging a 200% rate is a bit discriminatory. :(

I do not appreciate getting "hit up" for 200% but I do understand why paying more than the double occupancy rate is reasonable and fair. I appreciate paying LESS than 200% and the lower the better. Paying double, as I have had to do on each CCL cruise I have ever taken, is not any bargain but it is not a horrible rip off either. :)

Edited by 42CruiseCrazy

I think it should be a bit cheaperr than 200% also.

When I stay in hotels I ask for a single price if one is not advertised.

I stayed in one hotel once and they refused my request for a slight discount. So at breakfast I ordered 2 pancakes (they weren't big). I ate them both. The next day they quieried my order for 2 as I was only one person. I had a word with the manager. As I was paying the same as 2 people I was entitled to 2 breakfasts.

You are not getting everything that 2 people pay for so I think a slight discount is appropriate.

I do not appreciate getting "hit up" for 200% but I do understand why paying more than the double occupancy rate is reasonable and fair. I appreciate paying LESS than 200% and the lower the better. Paying double, as I have had to do on each CCL cruise I have ever taken, is not any bargain but it is not a horrible rip off either. :)

I know what you mean. I'm pricing a Canada New England cruise and found Carnival a better bargain at 200% than Princess at 150%. CCL's double occupancy rate is about half Princess's. :cool: