TS / (Hurricane?) Isaac

Scott34787

I certainly hope this isn't the case.

We cruise every year during hurricane season because our birthdays and anniversary fall in Sept. and Oct. We do this knowing the chances we are taking.

Anyone who books during this time and expects all to be as advertised are nuts. Don't plan a wedding on a paticular date and time on an island. Don't buy independent shore excursions that are not refundable. Do buy cruise insurance just in case the ship doens't sail on your sail date. (generally a good idea no matter what time of year anyway.)

Amen to that, we never book in Sept.(peak month) We cruise in May and October and have never encountered a storm but theres always a first time

My DH works for one of the big box DIY home supply stores. He's expecting a VERY busy day at work today. I worked for the same company back in 2004 and remember customers sleeping on lumber carts overnight in the store waiting for the emergency deliveries of plywood to arrive. People get crazy...fights over lumber carts, parking spaces, buying partical board as a last resort against our warning that it breaks down when it gets wet, sheriff deputies trying to keep some semblance of order.....:eek:

Best of luck for those leaving out of Florida this weekend. Go with it and hope you have a great time.

I live in Tampa, work for the Disaster Services of The Salvation Army and I am cruise September 2nd out of Tampa on The Legend!

I'm just keeping positive that it will all be "blown" over before I leave! :D

On a serious note: I've cruised a few times during this weather, had some great times! We take our chances when booking this time of the year, but the prices can't be beat!

Good luck for all....:)

Welcome to August & September in FL and the other Gulf states, ladies and gentlemen...buckle up.

Yup.. this set-up with Isaac and potentially Joyce behind it is looking eerily similar to 2004 when Charlie & Company came in back-to-back-to-back-back.

We never book during hurricane season either except for when my parents took us on Oasis of the Seas in Nov 2010 and Tomas was a pesky late season storm that changed the order of our stops but did not affect us other than that.

That was our first cruise that early and I have to say the weather was not great. It was cool most of the time compared to our normal Feb cruising. But we had a great time with my parents and for that I am grateful.

Yup.. this set-up with Isaac and potentially Joyce behind it is looking eerily similar to 2004 when Charlie & Company came in back-to-back-to-back-back.

Except by the time we got to Jeanne, I'd already been hit twice. I lived in the sorta almost boonies, and our power was out longer with each storm: 3 days for Charlie, 5 for Frances, over a week for Jeanne. I was FLAT broke and everytime I bought more than $10 in groceries, we got hit again.

Except by the time we got to Jeanne, I'd already been hit twice. I lived in the sorta almost boonies, and our power was out longer with each storm: 3 days for Charlie, 5 for Frances, over a week for Jeanne. I was FLAT broke and everytime I bought more than $10 in groceries, we got hit again.

Also, few people remember how completely jacked up they had the path of Charlie projected. It was gonna be "the big one" for Tampa. Meanwhile, folks in Charlotte county, including my relatives, had about 3 hours notice that it was heading into Charlotte harbor and rip roaring up along the Peace River.

Also, few people remember how completely jacked up they had the path of Charlie projected. It was gonna be "the big one" for Tampa. Meanwhile, folks in Charlotte county, including my relatives, had about 3 hours notice that it was heading into Charlotte harbor and rip roaring up along the Peace River.

I've lived in South Florida since 72 and up until 2004, only been in the "skirts" of the Hurricanes. I was at Walt Disney's Contemporary Resort for a weekend event during Hurricane Charlie. As I was driving up the turnpike on that Thursday, I was talking to my brother in Largo as he prepared for Charlie. Little did I know that I would soon be in the eye. Props to Disney for how they handled the Hurricane. The campers from Fort Wilderness were given cots in the ballrooms at the hotel. Those with campers were allowed to move them in to the basement garage area for protection. They brought TV's in the ballrooms so we could all watch the news and the storm progress. Later I was told, the Contemporary is one of the safest buildings for a hurricane in Florida.

My wife and I are also leaving on the Dream out of Port Canaveral this Saturday. TNot the kind of excitement I was expecting for my very first cruise. haha. One thing I know for sure is that I'm keeping my arm floaties on at all times. :D

My wife and I are also leaving on the Dream out of Port Canaveral this Saturday. TNot the kind of excitement I was expecting for my very first cruise. haha. One thing I know for sure is that I'm keeping my arm floaties on at all times. :D

Don't forget your noodle and inflatable!

5880-Man-With-Sunscreen-On-His-Nose-Floaties-On-His-Arm-And-Float-Toys-Ready-To-Swim-Poster-Art-Print.jpg

Need to post pic so you don't get the wrong idea!

I'm more worried about the system behind Isaac. It'll probably end up in the Gulf by just after Labor Day like the <i>Farmer's Almanac</i> has predicted, which means it'll rain on my wedding day. :( At least we don't leave for our honeymoon cruise until 2 weeks later - hopefully nothing else will pop up!

Wishing you the best on your wedding day. If it does rain, just remember that " A wet knot is harder to untie" My "wet knot" has been tied for 48 years on Sept. 8th.

I've lived in South Florida since 72 and up until 2004, only been in the "skirts" of the Hurricanes. I was at Walt Disney's Contemporary Resort for a weekend event during Hurricane Charlie. As I was driving up the turnpike on that Thursday, I was talking to my brother in Largo as he prepared for Charlie. Little did I know that I would soon be in the eye. Props to Disney for how they handled the Hurricane. The campers from Fort Wilderness were given cots in the ballrooms at the hotel. Those with campers were allowed to move them in to the basement garage area for protection. They brought TV's in the ballrooms so we could all watch the news and the storm progress. Later I was told, the Contemporary is one of the safest buildings for a hurricane in Florida.

I don't think I'd heard that particular story before. Of course, I had no news or radio for several days (gas was saved for running the car just long enough to keep a mnimal charge on the phone!). Very cool on Disney's part.

All the models are showing a turn into the Gulf. You'll at least make it out of port. No guarentees after that, but you'll be on the ship anyway!

That's the part a lot of people forget - that the path can change at any time. I totally evacuated for Floyd (1999) to Tampa, with my mother in NJ worried sick about me. NOTHING hit here, (to speak of) and mom got major floods.

As for a cruise, as long as I can get on my boat, I'm happy. I don't care if we go in circles to avoid hurricanes and never get off the boat :)

A few of us in this thread are sailing on the Freedom out of Lauderdale on Sat. My main concern is getting to FLL since we are flying from ATL the morning of the cruise. Like others, as long as we can get on the ship we will roll with whatever happens.

Our first few ports are areas that area in a direct path of the storm. I wish them well!

All the models are showing a turn into the Gulf.

Well not all the models show this. Some show it going west into the gulf, but some show it going well East of Florida.. And other show it going up the middle of Florida. I do see a consensus model on Weather Underground that does put it into the Gulf (the white line in the spaghetti chart below).. so that is a glimmer of good news.

But... it is still way to early to say what will happen until it get into open waters after Cuba.

at201209_ensmodel.gif

As you can see it's anyone's guess at this point. Just be prepared for anything! :)

Ok, fair enough, *most* projections have it taking a turn into Florida and/or then the Gulf. ;)

Also, given the size of that thing, even with the eye off the coast, we are going to experience some reasonably strong effects, buckets of rain at least. Maybe more depending on strength by the time it finally gets around to rolling our way. This is the part I hate-the speculation and waiting. Let's just on with it, the rain, wind, power loss and the rest. The foreplay is tiresome.

Thank you, misstopgun! And, coincidentally, Top Gun is one of my all time favorite movies! ;)

LOL. Everyone makes that connection. It has nothing to do with the movie. I used to be really good at throwing darts. They always gave a "topgun" award at the end of the league.

Now that was years ago, and I am no longer a "miss", but it was the nick I have used for so many years and just never changed.

Ok, fair enough, *most* projections have it taking a turn into Florida and/or then the Gulf. ;)

No worries- I agree the consensus models show it going

more westward. Will have an official NHC update at 11am

and I think it will show a "nudge" towards the Gulf.

I just want to point out that it's still a long ways off.

Isaac gonna go where Isaac wanna go... models schmodels.:)

Archived