TS / (Hurricane?) Isaac

Scott34787

And a lot of wet republicans!

What a shame. Bless their hearts. Oh wait, never mind.

The mayor said on the news last night if we're projected a direct hit, he'll pull the plug on the convention. Whatever your politics, that's a HUGE financial hit-the city has spent a ton of money, businesses have been counting on thousands of conventioneers in the area...aside from the cost of actual storm damage, this one's gonna hurt if we do actually get hit.

Local news out of Jax is now saying its going over the mountains and predicting, at this point, coming over the northern Keys and Port Charlotte or Naples area. I still would be aware in the gulf, if it goes west just a bit it could go toward Mobile also.

Happy Sailing,

Well not all the models show this. Some show it going west into the gulf, but some show it going well East of Florida.. And other show it going up the middle of Florida. I do see a consensus model on Weather Underground that does put it into the Gulf (the white line in the spaghetti chart below).. so that is a glimmer of good news.

But... it is still way to early to say what will happen until it get into open waters after Cuba.

at201209_ensmodel.gif

As you can see it's anyone's guess at this point. Just be prepared for anything! :)

I'm rooting for the one that has it coming through here in Detroit!!! :D:D:D

Local news out of Jax is now saying its going over the mountains and predicting, at this point, coming over the northern Keys and Port Charlotte or Naples area. I still would be aware in the gulf, if it goes west just a bit it could go toward Mobile also.

Happy Sailing,

That sounds consistent with the projected path posted above. Could be a FL double whammy. Have you seen the size of this thing on the sat images? The eastern side is huge. Even a "miss" will be a hit.

I am sailing out on the Freedom Sat Afternoon. We get into Ft. Lauderdale Friday evening so I don't think that will be an issue. I'm wondering if this my be going *just* far enough west as to not need an itinerary change. We will be at sea on Sunday and then arrive at Grand Turk on Monday and Dom Republic on Tuesday. It seems like it may have passed at that point but I do not claim to be an expert. Thoughts?

I also live in Florida in 04 dealt with one hurricanes for years.... also in 04 lived with hurricane shutters on house just one hurricane after another 4-5 lol

You need to be patient and give it more time, its too early to tell what will happen because hurricanes are so unpredictable, fronts come and go changes movement of these hurricanes and they wobble constantly. I say around friday we have a better idea where it will go.

For those cruising out of Florida especially south Florida you will make it out thats the main thing to get on that ship! You will beat the hurricane out and probably will make your ports.

I am sailing out on the Freedom Sat Afternoon. We get into Ft. Lauderdale Friday evening so I don't think that will be an issue. I'm wondering if this my be going *just* far enough west as to not need an itinerary change. We will be at sea on Sunday and then arrive at Grand Turk on Monday and Dom Republic on Tuesday. It seems like it may have passed at that point but I do not claim to be an expert. Thoughts?

I think predicting any ports right now would be sketchy at best.

Anyone out near the Lesser antilles, especially up near St Marteen and towards the USVI, wow. Waves of 16-20 feet out there especially on Atlantic facing side, that is for Fri night. Same with the Bahamas for Fri and Sat, seas anywhere from 14-19 feet. Going to be some rocking and rollin for sure

FROM CARNIVAL:

TROPICAL STORM ISAAC UPDATE – 11:00 AM (EST)

We are closely monitoring the forecasted path of Tropical Storm Isaac in the Caribbean. At the moment, there are no changes expected for any sailings departing on or after Thursday, August 23, 2012. In the event we need to make a deviation to an itinerary, we will update our guests.

As always, the safety of our guests is our number one concern and our ships are maintaining a safe distance from the storm at all times.

This storm could go anywhere from the Bahamas to the Yucatan. The most accurate Model, ECMWF, shows Issac going South of Florida and into the gulf and then turning to the North making Landfall near NOLA. The GFS model is closer to what the NHC is predicting. The GFS is the second most accurate model.

FROM CARNIVAL:

TROPICAL STORM ISAAC UPDATE – 11:00 AM (EST)

We are closely monitoring the forecasted path of Tropical Storm Isaac in the Caribbean. At the moment, there are no changes expected for any sailings departing on or after Thursday, August 23, 2012. In the event we need to make a deviation to an itinerary, we will update our guests.

As always, the safety of our guests is our number one concern and our ships are maintaining a safe distance from the storm at all times.

In other words, we're waiting for the weathermen to decide where this thing is going, then we'll get back to you.

- From the 1 p.m. ZNS report in Nassau.

Deteriorating conditions are expected in the SE Bahamas on Friday night / Saturday morning. Major rainfall event especially for Inagua, with 50mph + winds, is expected. Sat / Sun should see TS conditions spread into the Central and NW Bahamas respectively.

NEMA [our emergency agency] is on standby / alert mode. Defence Force is doing their prehurricane checks and planning meetings today.

Leaving this Thursday to fly to Miami for a 3 day Bahamas cruise embarking on Friday. It arrives back in Miami on Monday, 8 am. Uh oh. Then I supposed to embark on the same ship for a Caribbean cruise that same Monday afternoon. As long as I get to Miami and am off of work for a few days, I'm good.

Leaving this Thursday to fly to Miami for a 3 day Bahamas cruise embarking on Friday. It arrives back in Miami on Monday, 8 am. Uh oh. Then I supposed to embark on the same ship for a Caribbean cruise that same Monday afternoon. As long as I get to Miami and am off of work for a few days, I'm good.

Sounds like you'll be on the Imagination, 3 Day cruise to Bahamas then off to Key West and Cozumel on Monday. If the current forecast remains the same, don't see how you'll be able to head out Monday given that's the day the storm is supposed to be near or over the South Florida area. The trip back from Nassau over the weekend and your departure on Monday to Key West will sure be rough, if Carnival decides to go ahead with it. The other thing is, Port of Miami will likely close come Monday if the storm is near. It's going to be interesting to see what happens come the weekend and Monday of next week, three ships are supposed to be in port come Monday (Majesty of The Seas, Norwegian Sky and Carnival Imagination).

That sounds consistent with the projected path posted above. Could be a FL double whammy. Have you seen the size of this thing on the sat images? The eastern side is huge. Even a "miss" will be a hit.

IMO (Floridian) I am not yet convinced that its going to do alot of damage. Looking at the wind span on it, it does not span very wide, the buoys they placed out there yesterday did not register any info, meaning the winds were not expanding very wide.

I think its going to hit those mountains and at the rate of speed it is traveling, may barely be a Cat 1 which is no more than a good FL thunderstorm and move really quickly off the coast if it does make it to the FL coastline. It will probably be mostly a rainmaker & take down some trees. Worst case is it gets in the gulf and picks up some that warm water and re-energizes, only time will tell. Let's hope for the best. I'll try and keep updates from the local hurricane experts. (I trust them more than TWC,(they exaggerate too much).:D

IMO (Floridian) I am not yet convinced that its going to do alot of damage. Looking at the wind span on it, it does not span very wide, the buoys they placed out there yesterday did not register any info, meaning the winds were not expanding very wide.

I think its going to hit those mountains and at the rate of speed it is traveling, may barely be a Cat 1 which is no more than a good FL thunderstorm and move really quickly off the coast if it does make it to the FL coastline. It will probably be mostly a rainmaker & take down some trees. Worst case is it gets in the gulf and picks up some that warm water and re-energizes, only time will tell. Let's hope for the best. I'll try and keep updates from the local hurricane experts. (I trust them more than TWC,(they exaggerate too much).:D

I live in a low lying area, see my clients in their homes, many of which are on dirt or gravel roads with grass driveways. They are likely to be flooded in place, as am I. Your definition of a hit and mine probably differ. I'd prefer the wind over a foot of rain. You're also a couple hundred miles north of me.

Being a newbie here (sorry if this is already well known), if the cruise line does happen to change things or start times, how much of advance notice will they give?

Reason asking is because I'm flying in the day of the cruise from California (flight leaves 12:50am local time). Wondering if they will enough advance notice so that I can rearrange flights, etc.

I'm more worried about the system behind Isaac. It'll probably end up in the Gulf by just after Labor Day like the <i>Farmer's Almanac</i> has predicted, which means it'll rain on my wedding day. :( At least we don't leave for our honeymoon cruise until 2 weeks later - hopefully nothing else will pop up!
Right now it is tracking to head up the Atlantic coast line. I know what you mean about raining. It rained on my wedding two weeks ago. They say it's good luck.....we should have boat loads of it!! LOL.

Congratulations and good luck on a great day weather wise for your special day.

I have not read this whole thread but i am extremely worried about this storm. My niece, her husband and 4 children are trapped in the Dominican Republic. They tried to get out but could not...they are stuck there and they are at the tip of it island. Please keep them in your prayers!

Archived