TS / (Hurricane?) Isaac

Scott34787

Did you mean to say the Gulf Coast? The Atlantic coast would be on the East side of Florida and most of the models are tracking towards the West side of Florida.

I believe this was a comment about the storm behind Isaac, which at this moment, is tracking more eastward. Too soon to tell though.

We got a memo from the airline that I work for, stating that they expect System Disruptions starting this weekend until mid week, as a result. That means Cancellations, and extensive delays. Please plan ahead. Safe Journey to all!

This makes me glad we are driving to port...really hoping we are right in between the two.

CARNIVAL VALOR - 8/19/12 departure

In order to stay ahead of the storm and for the safety and comfort of our guests, the Carnival Valor will cancel the call into Curaçao and replace it with a visit to Nassau on Friday from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

All other ships are operating on their scheduled itineraries.

As always, the safety of our guests is our number one concern and our ships are maintaining a safe distance from the storm at all times.

Another web update will be posted tomorrow, August 23, at noon (EST).

They are shifting the track more east now looks like Miami and the upper Keys on Monday with the models this morning

Drat! Suppose to sail out of Miami on Monday. And the one time. . .the only time in 9 cruises that I didn't buy trip insurance since we just booked last weekend! :eek:

This is one of the wettest summers we've had in years.. luckily our neighborhood didn't flood through all the 2004 storms. Just had a tree

bend.. but some surrounding areas looked like a war zone.

Sorry, but we have welcomed the rain. We live about 30 minutes outside of Tampa. I'm over my $300 water bills. This summer my highest was $187!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

For the weather junkies:

This is the "Spaghetti" Model Chart for Isaac

- it shows all the predictions from the different

forecasting programs.

You can see a lot more agreement in the models

compared to just 12 hours ago - most of the

predictions put it right over the Florida Keys

Late Sunday / Early Monday.

Still too early to say for sure.. a lot

can happen after land interaction!

al092012.png

Not sure. But, being from Florida, you're probably not going to want to be out in open water. Expect it to be extremely rough.

Yeah I'm planning on it. I guess we'll see what happens. I never get seasick and have been on about 15 cruises but this time I'm definately bringing something just incase.

I think Carnival is waiting for South Florida to be in the 3-Day cone to make a move on the weekend cruises departing from Port of Miami as well as the ones scheduled to return on Monday (3-Day). Looks like the storm is starting to get its act together even more and the latest model runs have not shifted west as some were expecting. Here's a good blog to follow, keep in mind it's updated daily by Dr. Jeff Masters. This usually happens around 10am every morning. Read the comments for good up to the minute info from some of the posters.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2198&&theprefset=BLOGCOMMENTS&theprefvalue=200

I am not going on cruise until Feb, but suppose to leave Toronto on Monday for an all inc to Cayo Coco, Cuba, I am watching and reading everything about Isaac, I really hope everything will be ok!!

I forgot Canadians are allowed to visit Cuba!

Please let us know how it is.. would love

to visit there someday!

CARNIVAL VALOR - 8/19/12 departure

In order to stay ahead of the storm and for the safety and comfort of our guests, the Carnival Valor will cancel the call into Curaçao and replace it with a visit to Nassau on Friday from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

All other ships are operating on their scheduled itineraries.

As always, the safety of our guests is our number one concern and our ships are maintaining a safe distance from the storm at all times.

Another web update will be posted tomorrow, August 23, at noon (EST).

I noticed Valor was still docked in port as of a few minutes ago...looks like they're riding it out overnight. (I'm assuming their itinerary doesn't normally include an overnight in Aruba.)

A lot of the model guidance for Isaac seems to converge right toward ME, near Atlanta Georgia. :eek:

A lot of the model guidance for Isaac seems to converge right toward ME, near Atlanta Georgia. :eek:

It does look like a lot of strands lead to ATL! The big

variable is how long it will stay and build the warm

Gulf waters.

Get ready to hunker down!

It does look like a lot of strands lead to ATL! The big

variable is how long it will stay and build the warm

Gulf waters.

Get ready to hunker down!

Good news is, Jim Cantore can just walk outside and in back of the Weather Channel studios and do his live reports from there with I-75 in the background! :)

(Last I heard, they were still based in Smyrna, just NW of Atlanta, although they very seldom let that slip on-air.)

As a Mama who is supposed to sail out on Saturday I am somewhat worried about leaving my college kiddos with our house in Lake County. Back in '04 we took a lot of wind and water damage thanks to those 4 hits and this one followed by Joyce has me worried.

We are currently living in Cleveland and I'm not sure if the Heathens can handle the prep by themselves...le sigh. Nothing to do but wait and see...

I wasn't trying to flame anyone. No I didnt wake up on the wrong side of the bed either.

All I was trying to say is what happens everytime a storm hits the states? They interview some no so smart guy that says I shoulda been prepared. Well yeah, If the hurricane comes to where Im at. Only thing we have to do is throw lawn furniture in the pool. That way it doesnt go anywhere. We have windows already shuttered.

Anyway, Im sorry if that person took it worng.

Except by the time we got to Jeanne, I'd already been hit twice. I lived in the sorta almost boonies, and our power was out longer with each storm: 3 days for Charlie, 5 for Frances, over a week for Jeanne. I was FLAT broke and everytime I bought more than $10 in groceries, we got hit again.

LOL I remember that. That was the summer you never kept more that 20 dollars of frozen food, What a pain in the butt, Seemed like we had to evacuate every weekend:)

LOL I remember that. That was the summer you never kept more that 20 dollars of frozen food, What a pain in the butt, Seemed like we had to evacuate every weekend:)

That'd be the one. Except I never evacuated. I was living with my BFF and her now DH in their 1950s cement block house that had just been completely redone by her dad the general contractor. We trusted it to be pretty safe. We also had pets. Still do, and they aren't current on their shots, vet isn't sure it's good for them given their age and health issues. Actually, I've never evacuated and I'm Florida born.

I wasn't trying to flame anyone. No I didnt wake up on the wrong side of the bed either.

All I was trying to say is what happens everytime a storm hits the states? They interview some no so smart guy that says I shoulda been prepared. Well yeah, If the hurricane comes to where Im at. Only thing we have to do is throw lawn furniture in the pool. That way it doesnt go anywhere. We have windows already shuttered.

Anyway, Im sorry if that person took it worng.

To be truly prepared, you should have three gallons of water per person per day for, depending where you live and where you are "in line" to get power back, about a week. You should also have canned and non perishable food items for each person that will feed them for that long. At least enough medication and oxygen for 2 weeks-good luck persuading the pharmacy to give you that. Then you should also have adequate food and water for your pets.

Don't forget some perishables that will hold a day or so in the fridge do you can still have bowls of cereal the first day without power. (If you don't open it often food should hold for around 24hrs.)

Don't forget that full tank of gas, never know how long the stations might be without power.

Now look at that list. A bit daunting for a family of 4 or 5, even with disposable income. Now picture a just barely scratching by family who is trying to keep everyone fed on the best of days, and because they go to work everyday, make too much to qualify for any assistance. And, oh yeah, that tree that they can't afford to cut afford to have cut down might come crashing through the roof or send a limb like a missile through the window.

It is NOT just sinking the pool furniture and slapping plywood on windows.

Archived