TS / (Hurricane?) Isaac

Scott34787

Question... We are flying into Port Canaveral Monday the 27th for our 5day Bahamas cruise shoould we fly in a day earlier (sunday) just to be sure we make the ship because of possible flight cancellations monday or it really looking like it doesn't matter

Yes, Yes, Yes! I work for a mjaor airline, and we have already been notified that there will be a high amount of cancellations and extensive delays going into and out of Florida and the Caribbean this weekend, through mid week. Airlines don't want the risk of their $30-$100 Million machines getting damaged.

So has or is this thing hit the Bahamas (nassau,freeport) ?

No.. it will stay well to the west of the Bahamas.

I'm sure there will be some wind and rain though

from the outer bands spinning off.

Carnival will have an itinerary update at noon - will post here

when that happens.

It's still to far out for any real / accurate trac

The models are going to change more than lady gaga outfits during a show

For now all one can do is pay attention to the cone and not the line

Travel/ plan wisely

Hahaha! I never worry about where the eye is, I always worry about the bands. Those cause the most destruction. The ocean is going to be all sorts of churned up this week(end).

It's still to far out for any real / accurate trac

The models are going to change more than lady gaga outfits during a show

For now all one can do is pay attention to the cone and not the line

Travel/ plan wisely

Very true- I should have said the current models

do not have it hitting the Bahamas.

BMF is correct - There is still a lot of time, and when a storm

interacts with land it can get as unpredictable as the end of

a M Night Shyamalan film (sorry, had to do my own simile :))

Very true- I should have said the current models

do not have it hitting the Bahamas.

BMF is correct - There is still a lot of time, and when a storm

interacts with land it can get as unpredictable as the end of

a M Night Shyamalan film (sorry, had to do my own simile :))

I would think at this point the ones who have to worry are those on ships like the Imagination, RCCL Majesty and NCL Sky, which do turnaround on monday's in miami

Except by the time we got to Jeanne, I'd already been hit twice. I lived in the sorta almost boonies, and our power was out longer with each storm: 3 days for Charlie, 5 for Frances, over a week for Jeanne. I was FLAT broke and everytime I bought more than $10 in groceries, we got hit again.

I live "next door" to you and remember them well! What people tend to forget is that power is off EVERYWHERE!! Even if you have to get to work, if you need gas, you are screwed!! Make sure to fill up those gas tanks ahead of time.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-1235022

TROPICAL STORM ISAAC UPDATE – 12:00 PM (EDT)

We are closely monitoring the forecasted path of Tropical Storm Isaac in the Caribbean. At the moment, there are no changes expected for any sailings departing on or after Thursday, August 23, 2012. In the event we need to make a deviation to a future itinerary, we will update our guests.

If you have not done so already, we strongly suggest guests complete their online check-in as soon as possible. Please ensure to provide your email, as well as sign up for text alerts for updates on any changes to your cruise.

CARNIVAL VALOR - 8/19/12 departure

In order to stay ahead of the storm and for the safety and comfort of our guests, the Carnival Valor cancelled the call into Curaçao and replaced it with a visit to Nassau on Friday from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - 8/18/12 departure

Due to high winds and heavy swells, the Carnival Liberty cancelled the call into Grand Turk today and will replace it with a visit to Nassau on Friday from 10:00 AM to 6:00PM.

All other ships are operating on their scheduled itineraries.

As always, the safety of our guests is our number one concern and our ships are maintaining a safe distance from the storm at all times.

Another web update will be posted today, August 23, at 8:00 PM (EDT).

I live "next door" to you and remember them well! What people tend to forget is that power is off EVERYWHERE!! Even if you have to get to work, if you need gas, you are screwed!! Make sure to fill up those gas tanks ahead of time.

I lived in Lake Alfred in '04. Talk about end of the line for getting power back! The PD was on the other side of the road so our neighborhood was not a priority. I remember the Taco Bell at 17 & Cypress Gardens being the only thing open. Suddenly everyone had a craving for tacos.

Sailing Sunday out of Miami on the Valor. Don't mind itinerary changes as long as we make the ship. Flying to Miami on Saturday from DCA.

Keep checking the website of the airline you are flying on Sunday. You should get updates there on whether they will be flying that day into Miami.

Central fl here...we have been notified about possible school closings on Monday and Tuesday and possibly Wednesday. We were asked at work to give our home and cell numbers incase the close on Monday. Let the waiting and wondering begin and what not begin. (sigh)

Just had a meeting. We were told we might need to be here 7a to 7p for one shift and other the pm shift 7-7. Then they said there was a shift more westwardly so maybe not. Little hard to plan...especially in a prison!

Everyone outside and blow real hard to push it away!!!

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx#q-1235022

TROPICAL STORM ISAAC UPDATE – 12:00 PM (EDT)

We are closely monitoring the forecasted path of Tropical Storm Isaac in the Caribbean. At the moment, there are no changes expected for any sailings departing on or after Thursday, August 23, 2012. In the event we need to make a deviation to a future itinerary, we will update our guests.

If you have not done so already, we strongly suggest guests complete their online check-in as soon as possible. Please ensure to provide your email, as well as sign up for text alerts for updates on any changes to your cruise.

CARNIVAL VALOR - 8/19/12 departure

In order to stay ahead of the storm and for the safety and comfort of our guests, the Carnival Valor cancelled the call into Curaçao and replaced it with a visit to Nassau on Friday from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - 8/18/12 departure

Due to high winds and heavy swells, the Carnival Liberty cancelled the call into Grand Turk today and will replace it with a visit to Nassau on Friday from 10:00 AM to 6:00PM.

All other ships are operating on their scheduled itineraries.

As always, the safety of our guests is our number one concern and our ships are maintaining a safe distance from the storm at all times.

Another web update will be posted today, August 23, at 8:00 PM (EDT).

Oh boy, I wonder how many ships will be in Nassau on Friday! YIKES! :eek:

I guess I'm a bit of a weather nerd. I check NOAA and NHC then come here to get lots of good first hand information.

Thanks everybody!

Another weather nerd here (duh!) :)

Besides, we are close to 200 posts here

and it is staying pretty civil (knock on wood)

so this thread is becoming "the place to be"! :cool:

You work for a major chain in central FL. Hmm, lemme think. :p I live in Lakeland, where there's one on every corner. I dread getting groceries this weekend as everyone will be flailing their arms doing the panic and hoarding supplies dance.

Yeah, still a little skittish around here since '04. But at least I live in a more densely populated area than I did then. More likely to have my power restored a little quicker. I hope.

I'm a vendor and am in this major chain everyday of the week..;). Already lots of pallets of water in the back ready to bring out on the floor!

Oh, and by the way, I love shopping here...no going to Walmart for me!:D

I have not read this whole thread but i am extremely worried about this storm. My niece, her husband and 4 children are trapped in the Dominican Republic. They tried to get out but could not...they are stuck there and they are at the tip of it island. Please keep them in your prayers!

They have just been lifted up in prayer for their safety as well as all the people in those areas.

LOL I remember that. That was the summer you never kept more that 20 dollars of frozen food, What a pain in the butt, Seemed like we had to evacuate every weekend:)

Right before it hit us in 2004, we emptied out all three freezers, pulled out the grill and had the neighbors come and get what they wanted. At least most of it didn't go to waste! I'll do the same thing this time if need be....I just wish I would remember not to load my freezer up during the height of the season!:rolleyes::D

Pulled this from the NHC "discussion" section of the latest update:

"IT SHOULD BE NOTED...THOUGH...THAT NEAR THE 96

HR POINT THE GUIDANCE MODELS ARE SPREAD BETWEEN SOUTHEASTERN

FLORIDA AND WESTERN CUBA...AND AT 120 HR THEY ARE BETWEEN

NORTHEASTERN FLORIDA AND THE CENTRAL GULF OF MEXICO. THUS...

SIGNIFICANT UNCERTAINTY REMAINS ABOUT THE THREAT ISAAC POSES TO FLORIDA."

This is turning into a real nail-biter!

at201209_model.gif

Archived