TS / (Hurricane?) Isaac

Scott34787

That'd be the one. Except I never evacuated. I was living with my BFF and her now DH in their 1950s cement block house that had just been completely redone by her dad the general contractor. We trusted it to be pretty safe. We also had pets. Still do, and they aren't current on their shots, vet isn't sure it's good for them given their age and health issues. Actually, I've never evacuated and I'm Florida born.[/quote

In 04 we lived right on the water so itwas mandatory..Well atleast we thought it was..lol we evacuated for the frist 2 then we stopped it just got to be to much. We are now 15 blks from the water so we in much better shape. I guess we will be doing lots of yard prep sunday..oh fun,

I live in an apartment, so no yard work. My biggest concern is how heavily wooded the property is. Great in hot weather, I can pretty much always find a tree to park under. But for a storm, well, not sure what I'm gonna do.

And flooding, always have to worry about flooding.

I'm sailing on the Valor on Sunday. Will we be able to leave port? Is this storm REALLY that bad?

It's not how bad it is so much as how big it is. It will probably only be a Cat 1 hurricane when it makes landfall in FL. But right now it looks like Miami may be in the storm's path. As I understand it, it isn't safe for ship to dock in rough seas, which Miami may have on Sunday. But I've read from the true cruise vets that it's very rare for a cruise to actually be cancelled. Carnival will figure something out. Be patient. The models will have more agreement and the picture will clearer tomorrow, and even more so by Friday.

I doubt any ships are going to be doing a western caribbean itinerary this weekend. There is now way they are going to pass thru the Straight of Florida. Remember it's not the center of the hurricane that is bad, it's the outer bands that cause the most destruction!

Question... We are flying into Port Canaveral Monday the 27th for our 5day Bahamas cruise shoould we fly in a day earlier (sunday) just to be sure we make the ship because of possible flight cancellations monday or it really looking like it doesn't matter

To be truly prepared, you should have three gallons of water per person per day for, depending where you live and where you are "in line" to get power back, about a week. You should also have canned and non perishable food items for each person that will feed them for that long. At least enough medication and oxygen for 2 weeks-good luck persuading the pharmacy to give you that. Then you should also have adequate food and water for your pets.

Don't forget some perishables that will hold a day or so in the fridge do you can still have bowls of cereal the first day without power. (If you don't open it often food should hold for around 24hrs.)

Don't forget that full tank of gas, never know how long the stations might be without power.

Now look at that list. A bit daunting for a family of 4 or 5, even with disposable income. Now picture a just barely scratching by family who is trying to keep everyone fed on the best of days, and because they go to work everyday, make too much to qualify for any assistance. And, oh yeah, that tree that they can't afford to cut afford to have cut down might come crashing through the roof or send a limb like a missile through the window.

It is NOT just sinking the pool furniture and slapping plywood on windows.

my plan

all outside stuff comes in or in the pool ( alot of work, and then you have a neighbor who leaves all thier stuff out) My neighbor has tiki torchs that make great missles!

so i lock up, gas up and get out of town , mini vacation or better yet get a pack and go rate

I dont do no power very well so Im outta here

small price to live in paradise

Question... We are flying into Port Canaveral Monday the 27th for our 5day Bahamas cruise shoould we fly in a day earlier (sunday) just to be sure we make the ship because of possible flight cancellations monday or it really looking like it doesn't matter

No flights should be cancelled prior..its during and after that you have to worry about.

Scott, the models are coming together but they keep slowing it down! The last thing we need it to do is sit and churn just offshore with those outer bands coming in for 2 days.

I remember one storm did just that - can't remember

which one it was but it was just crazy. Calm for a while

and then pounding rain.. calm.. rain.. on and off like that for

a couple of days - the storm was just parked in the Gulf and

fed off that warm water.

We live in a relatively new neighborhood with great

drainage but I am worried about those in low lying areas.

I know the ground is already saturated from in a lot

of areas from the recent rain.

Headed to grocery store now to stock up - will be back for the 11am

update.

my plan

all outside stuff comes in or in the pool ( alot of work, and then you have a neighbor who leaves all thier stuff out) My neighbor has tiki torchs that make great missles!

so i lock up, gas up and get out of town , mini vacation or better yet get a pack and go rate

I dont do no power very well so Im outta here

small price to live in paradise

Great plan if you can afford it. As you can see by my cruise history, I'm not exactly flush with disposable income. I can't just pack up & go, especially not with 2 elderly cats. They won't do well without power-though one loves to sit in the heat all day-but they wouldn't do well in a far away hotel room. And who knows, really, how far I'd have to go to get out of this one's way, and in which direction? And $$$ spent on gas, food and motel could easily go to the next vet visit. Which won't be long. Enjoy your mini vacation. I'll be here at home, hoping my upstairs neighbor will shelter me from any trees crashing through my ceiling!

I remember one storm did just that - can't remember

which one it was but it was just crazy. Calm for a while

and then pounding rain.. calm.. rain.. on and off like that for

a couple of days - the storm was just parked in the Gulf and

fed off that warm water.

We live in a relatively new neighborhood with great

drainage but I am worried about those in low lying areas.

I know the ground is already saturated from in a lot

of areas from the recent rain.

Headed to grocery store now to stock up - will be back for the 11am

update.

I thInk that was Jeanne. And depending in what county you over in *ahem Pasco/Hernando ahem* I'm not sure there actually is such a thing as great drainage. I have clients in 'nice' newer neighborhoods that I couldn't get to after that last really bad batch of rain.

*sigh*

Let's just get it over with! The drawn out induced panic foreplay is SO tiresome.

Good Luck to all those cruising this weekend! We are anxiously awaiting our turn next weekend, so keeping an eye on the Tropics. So glad to see that TD 10 looks to be behaving herself....and hoping the next wave coming off the African coast does nothing. That said, just get me on the ship and I will be a happy little camper!!! Don't care where we go or what we do......we won't be at home!!!:D

Central fl here...we have been notified about possible school closings on Monday and Tuesday and possibly Wednesday. We were asked at work to give our home and cell numbers incase the close on Monday. Let the waiting and wondering begin and what not begin. (sigh)

Yeah, our call down list got verified/organized yesterday too. Told to keep our work phones all weekend since that's the first number they'll call. But if I leave my phone on, people will CALL it! Why would I encourage that? I don't work weekends.

I am a nurse at a huge medical center here in Tampa. But I am on Hurricane Team B which means I can ride out the storm at home, then report to work after 2 days, when the staff on Team A get to go home.

BUT, the newest "spaghetti models" show Isaac heading a little west of Tampa, which means we will probably be on the rainy, rainy east side of the storm. Isaac is moving a little faster than Debby did a month ago, so hopefully will not stay too long.

If it was me I would fly in on Sunday just in case.

It's not how bad it is so much as how big it is. It will probably only be a Cat 1 hurricane when it makes landfall in FL. But right now it looks like Miami may be in the storm's path. As I understand it, it isn't safe for ship to dock in rough seas, which Miami may have on Sunday. But I've read from the true cruise vets that it's very rare for a cruise to actually be cancelled. Carnival will figure something out. Be patient. The models will have more agreement and the picture will clearer tomorrow, and even more so by Friday.

Will do. I just hope we can get on the ship soon enough. Been waiting for this the entire year.

I am a nurse at a huge medical center here in Tampa. But I am on Hurricane Team B which means I can ride out the storm at home, then report to work after 2 days, when the staff on Team A get to go home.

BUT, the newest "spaghetti models" show Isaac heading a little west of Tampa, which means we will probably be on the rainy, rainy east side of the storm. Isaac is moving a little faster than Debby did a month ago, so hopefully will not stay too long.

Exactly, which is what I said was going to happen, westerly move, its going to ba a rainmaker for FL, Key West will probably take the brunt of it, but I would pay close attention between Pensacola and Mobile, could be a 2 by then. We are still feeling the effects of Debby. Anything 1 and under we sleep thru, lol. :p

Archived