TS / (Hurricane?) Isaac

Scott34787

How many posts will be made about CCL screwing them over and demanding a free cruise because itineraries had to be changed? I hate when people do this when CCL is thinking of their safety.

I certainly hope this isn't the case.

We cruise every year during hurricane season because our birthdays and anniversary fall in Sept. and Oct. We do this knowing the chances we are taking.

Anyone who books during this time and expects all to be as advertised are nuts. Don't plan a wedding on a paticular date and time on an island. Don't buy independent shore excursions that are not refundable. Do buy cruise insurance just in case the ship doens't sail on your sail date. (generally a good idea no matter what time of year anyway.)

I'm more worried about the system behind Isaac. It'll probably end up in the Gulf by just after Labor Day like the <i>Farmer's Almanac</i> has predicted, which means it'll rain on my wedding day. :( At least we don't leave for our honeymoon cruise until 2 weeks later - hopefully nothing else will pop up!

I wish you sunshine for your wedding and a wonderful vacation!

We sail on the Elation this Sat. out of New Orleans. I don't care where we go as long as we are on the ship, are safe and our home is safe. We live in the Fl. panhandle.

Peggy

I am also sailing on the Elation Saturday and I agree 100% with what you said. As long as everyone is safe I really don't care where we go.

Tampa, eh? Hmmm, is Mother Nature giving away her political party affiliation on this one? :rolleyes:

*random, I know

If I weren't directly in the path, east of Tampa, I would quite enjoy the irony myself.

I work for a major grocery chain in their Information Systems dept here in FL and this one is already getting attention - definitely worth tracking. I wish all those heading out next week a safe journey

Would that begin with a P? I know someone there who is already quite busy with preparations! people just don't realize what goes into preparation. We sail Saturday so may have to prepare the house Friday before we leave and hope for the best.

Even if you are a weather expert, I would be very carefull making predictions.

^^ Fixed. :D

NOAA admits that their 5-day track predictions are 'off' by an average of 225 nautical miles*, so anything beyond 3 days is not much more than guesswork.

-----

* in their "forecast discussion" on Isaac, but oft repeated elsewhere, too

Wednesday - 8/22 - 5am Update

THE SHEAR IS

FORECAST TO GRADUALLY DECREASE TO VALUES BELOW 5 KT BY 24 HOURS...

WHICH SHOULD ALLOW ISAAC TO STRENGTHEN TO A HURRICANE BY 48 HOURS.

AT 72 AND 96 HOURS...THE INTENSITY HAS BEEN DECREASED DUE TO

EXPECTED LAND INTERACTION WITH HAITI AND EASTERN CUBA. AFTER 96

HOURS...HOWEVER...ISAAC SHOULD BE MOVING BACK OVER THE VERY WARM

WATER BETWEEN CUBA AND FLORIDA.

085616W5_NL_sm.gif

This is looking real folks!

You really want to know when and where its going to go? SO DOES THE NHC!!!!! They are taking a guess. Yes it is an educated guess, but a guess all the same. It will go where it wants to go and there is nothing to do but wait. If you arent already prepared for a storm like this, why did you wait?

Every April, we go out and start buying supplies just in case of a storm. We keep a packed suitcase in the car if we have to get the heck outta here. Plenty of cash in a standard safe ( non electronic lock ).

I will never understand people that wait until the last minute to get what they should already have. Well, I guess if thats what you choose to do. Good luck getting what you need.

Oh yeah, my trick knee says its going to get ripped up over the islands and cuba while making a turn northward and missing florida all together.

Tim

Well Tim, I didnt mean that kind of prep. We have standard Hurricane supplies and food. I was talking about prep for the yard, putting chairs and tables away, making sure everything is put up or tied down...but thanks for the scolding.

Lol...sounds like he got up on the wrong side of the bed today...NOW GO TIE ALL YOUR STUFF DOWN..(scolding) :o:o:o:o:o

Well Tim, I didnt mean that kind of prep. We have standard Hurricane supplies and food. I was talking about prep for the yard, putting chairs and tables away, making sure everything is put up or tied down...but thanks for the scolding.

:D Touche!

That is the kind of prep I hate, I hope we don't have to do it... It is nice to know I won't be the only one.

Do you know how much money I have wasted over the years stocking up on hurricane supplies? I don't do it any more; if it was a cat 5 I would, but other than batteries and water and don't do it anymore. With Publix in my back yard and their new generators they got since 04 I am willing to take my chances. Then if my gamble is wrong it will be a lesson learned.

Archived