TS / (Hurricane?) Isaac

Scott34787

Right now it is tracking to head up the Atlantic coast line. I know what you mean about raining. It rained on my wedding two weeks ago. They say it's good luck.....we should have boat loads of it!! LOL.

Congratulations and good luck on a great day weather wise for your special day.

It's way too early to start worrying or predicting on that one. We have to wait & see if Polk county is underwater by Tuesday first!

Right now it is tracking to head up the Atlantic coast line.

Did you mean to say the Gulf Coast? The Atlantic coast would be on the East side of Florida and most of the models are tracking towards the West side of Florida.

I live in a low lying area, see my clients in their homes, many of which are on dirt or gravel roads with grass driveways. They are likely to be flooded in place, as am I. Your definition of a hit and mine probably differ. I'd prefer the wind over a foot of rain. You're also a couple hundred miles north of me.

Gosh I hope you don't get a lot of rain, that always sucks to flood, and we have had so much rain, know the feeling, used to live on a dirt road myself.

I'm just hoping because it is moving so fast it won't have time to dump as much rain nor cause as much damage as a stronger hurricane would, because when they are slow movers we get really dumped on, its rained up here the last 18 days out of 21. :rolleyes:

Will keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Happy Sailing,

Gosh I hope you don't get a lot of rain, that always sucks to flood, and we have had so much rain, know the feeling, used to live on a dirt road myself.

I'm just hoping because it is moving so fast it won't have time to dump as much rain nor cause as much damage as a stronger hurricane would, because when they are slow movers we get really dumped on, its rained up here the last 18 days out of 21. :rolleyes:

Will keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Happy Sailing,

Please don't let it be a slow moving storm like Frances was. We evacuated West Palm and went to my DB in Largo. The storm was so big, we ended up being trapped at his house due to the bridges over Tampa Bay being closed due to the water crashing over the causeway. When they finally opened the Courtney Campbell Causeway, only one lane was opened due to the flooding. It was a mess trying to get home.

Talked with DH about if we would put the shutters up if we stayed in the cone with a category 1 storm. As someone stated earlier, a cat 1 is like our regular thunderstorms. Yesterday, we had a storm roll through with 65 mph wind gusts. Problem is if the storm strengthens suddenly like Andrew 20 years ago, you don't have time.:confused:

It's Florida in the summer, it's supposed to rain everyday! It's raining right now. Finally, after being gloomy and gray all day.

Frances was the storm that never ended. Then Jeanne sat out in the Atlantic and churned in place for a week, driving everyone into a true frenzy. Especially after the first two.

I got stuck east bound on the causeway last week with one lane open. I thought I was going to gouge my eyes out!

And Charlie moved plenty fast, but left a ton of damage behind. But it was a pretty compact storm.

The Coast Guard has closed all ports in Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. I'm guessing they'll be open again by the weekend.

Carnival Liberty has just departed San Juan; looks like she departed on schedule. http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/

EDIT: her AIS transponder indicates she IS bound for Grand Turk, also as scheduled. I figure it'll be a wet visit, though. Good time to book a poolside cabana. :)

Thank you for this thread! We're going out of Tampa on Sat. to Grand Cayman (Mon) and Cozumel (Tue). I'm watching this and the next storm very carefully!

TD 10 looks like it is tracking well north of Puerto Rico -

still too early to say for sure - could still impact East

Coast further north.

I HATE it when my town is in the center of the cone. The good news...mountains on the islands. I actually booked a three day cruise on the Sky for labor day weekend. What was I thinking????? I have only evacuated two times in 35 years! When you see Jim Cantore on your beach it's time to reevaluate. Altho they do tend to exaggerate. I am hoping the European hurricane model (tracking further west) is on the money. Good thoughts to all traveling during the next few days.

I HATE it when my town is in the center of the cone. The good news...mountains on the islands. I actually booked a three day cruise on the Sky for labor day weekend. What was I thinking????? I have only evacuated two times in 35 years! When you see Jim Cantore on your beach it's time to reevaluate. Altho they do tend to exaggerate. I am hoping the European hurricane model (tracking further west) is on the money. Good thoughts to all traveling during the next few days.

Maybe this time Sanibel Island will get split into 4 islands. Sorry, not funny at all. But you know it's all for dramatic effect. We never evacuated once when I was a kid. (I grew up about an hour north of Naples/Ft. Myers.)

On does wonder what impact this is having on the Victory Itinerary, since most of it is in the current point of impact.

Looks like she departed Bridgetown, Barbados a few hours ago. I suspect they're having a rough ride.

Her AIS transponder says destination is...Barbados. Ooops! :)

We got a memo from the airline that I work for, stating that they expect System Disruptions starting this weekend until mid week, as a result. That means Cancellations, and extensive delays. Please plan ahead. Safe Journey to all!

Down here in Florida, they said that there could be massive flooding where it hits.

This is one of the wettest summers we've had in years.. luckily our neighborhood didn't flood through all the 2004 storms. Just had a tree

bend.. but some surrounding areas looked like a war zone.

This is one of the wettest summers we've had in years.. luckily our neighborhood didn't flood through all the 2004 storms. Just had a tree

bend.. but some surrounding areas looked like a war zone.

I remember that! We're down here in Naples. It was a mess a few months ago with all the flooding. They said if this storm hits Tampa, expect major flooding downtown because of the storm surge from the Gulf into the Bay.

Reading this has me beating up on myself already- why oh why oh why did I book a cruise during hurricane season. Not until October but I really know better.

We cruise in Oct all the time it usually starts to calm down by then. Sept is usually the worst. I am leaving on the Sky Fri so we may be in for a fun ride lol. We'll be on the Sensation also the beginning of Oct hopefully it will have died down by then. Either way I'll have fun and make the most of it:D

What happens when your booked on a bahamas 3 day cruise it's not like you can reroute to anywhere else cause other than cuba every place else is too far lol. I'm guessing you just drift around in the water till the storm passes. Also if it does hit South Florida Monday what happens if your expected to return on that day if the port closes. Does your vacation get extended another day. Now that I wouldn't mind even if we are rocking and rolling:)

What happens when your booked on a bahamas 3 day cruise it's not like you can reroute to anywhere else cause other than cuba every place else is too far lol. I'm guessing you just drift around in the water till the storm passes. Also if it does hit South Florida Monday what happens if your expected to return on that day if the port closes. Does your vacation get extended another day. Now that I wouldn't mind even if we are rocking and rolling:)

Not sure. But, being from Florida, you're probably not going to want to be out in open water. Expect it to be extremely rough.

Archived