Best hotel + transportation in Port Canaveral

MellieInWI

Hello all -

Looking for recommendations for lodging and transportation the night before our Fantasy cruise in October.

We flying into Orlando, arriving at 9:30 p.m. (booked our own airfare because we had Delta credits to use). We have two young children with us and are looking for a hotel that would ideally provide transportation from airport to hotel to port...although I suspect that's a longshot.

What have others done?

Thanks!

Hello all -

Looking for recommendations for lodging and transportation the night before our Fantasy cruise in October.

We flying into Orlando, arriving at 9:30 p.m. (booked our own airfare because we had Delta credits to use). We have two young children with us and are looking for a hotel that would ideally provide transportation from airport to hotel to port...although I suspect that's a longshot.

What have others done?

Thanks!

That late in the evening , hotels in Port Canaveral won't have a shuttle service . PC is an hour each way from Orlando .

I would rent a car from Orlando and then drop it off in PC the next morning. You could locate a hotel in Orlando for the night and then get a private shuttle the next day to PC.

I booked a hotel and transport in the cocoa beach area. Not exactly what you are looking for but close. I'll be sure to post a full review when I get back after the 3rd if you are interested.

I booked both with the Hampton Inn (which I had to cancel- long story- not their fault) and the comfort inn and suites. A few comments- don't worry about the time you come in. Both of these hotels work directly with a shuttle service which is run by another company, but do call and talk to them directly if you are nervous. The comfort inn and suites were very helpful. In fact both where easy to deal with. With the Hampton Inn it was up to you to arrange call the shuttle service and book those arrangements (but the package provided transport from the airport to the hotel, to the port, and then after the cruise back to the airport). The Hampton Inn arranged everything once they got the flight info but their standard package is just from the airport to the hotel; then from the hotel to the port (which you can do in reverse if you ask).

If you don't go over to the Port or Cocoa Beach area upon arrival, I would try to get transportation out first thing in the A.M. The "B-Line" to Port C. can be a nightmare. We have family in the area and are down there frequently. We've been dead stopped on the "B-Line" for an hour or more several times due to accidents. There's no other way to the port so you just have sit and wait it out. Granted, we've had no where to be when this has happened so we can wait it out, however; if I had to be at the port or somewhere else, I'd get a bit nervous. I'd rather get there early and figure out where to wait and what to do vs. calling it close. Just my 2 cents.

There are no hotels in Port Canaveral that provide shuttle service from MCO, you have to arrange that yourself. There are several that will shuttle you to the port in the AM though. The most economical route would be you renting a room at any Port Canaveral hotel and renting a car at MCO and driving yourselves out there upon landing. Have your husband drop you and the kids off in the morning at the port and return the rental car. The easiest and costliest would be to stay at the airport Hyatt and take DCL transfers. DCL takes your bags from your room, and you just head downstairs to the check-in and they take care of the rest. Of course, you have to pay for the Hyatt and the transfer fee of $30 per person, but it is worth it! There is no "Magical Express" for DCL, that's the free service provided for the WDW resort hotels.

Someone mentioned that Disney takes your luggage for you from the Hyatt? How does this work?

You tag your luggage with the tags DCL provides you with and you leave it inside your room. When you check into the Hyatt, mention you are using DCL transfers (you must use DCL transfers for them to take your luggage) and they will give you a sheet with all of the instructions on it. When you go downstairs in the airport in the AM, they will ask you your room number and how many pieces of luggage you left as a double check that they got everything. They say they pick up around 8:30AM, I've never been there at that time, but my luggage as always made it to the ship!!!!! Here is a copy of the letter the Hyatt will give to you.... Hyatt_Instructions_page1.jpg

Hyatt_Instructions_page2.jpg

If you don't go over to the Port or Cocoa Beach area upon arrival, I would try to get transportation out first thing in the A.M. The "B-Line" to Port C. can be a nightmare. We have family in the area and are down there frequently. We've been dead stopped on the "B-Line" for an hour or more several times due to accidents. There's no other way to the port so you just have sit and wait it out. Granted, we've had no where to be when this has happened so we can wait it out, however; if I had to be at the port or somewhere else, I'd get a bit nervous. I'd rather get there early and figure out where to wait and what to do vs. calling it close. Just my 2 cents.

If we come in on the day of the cruise the earliest flight will have us in at 9:30, I understand that coming in on the same day is always a risk but is 9:30 generally early enough to get there on time? I am thinking if the flight is on time we would get there around 1...

If we come in on the day of the cruise the earliest flight will have us in at 9:30, I understand that coming in on the same day is always a risk but is 9:30 generally early enough to get there on time? I am thinking if the flight is on time we would get there around 1...

Yep IF the flight is on time... I've had issues where we've been delayed SEVERAL hours.... If that were to happen, you could miss the ship. Unless you booked your air through DCL, they WILL leave without you. I also don't like those early flights, it ruins my whole day. I'm so exhausted, that I never enjoy any first day of vacation after one of those flights..... It's of course all up to you. We always fly in the day prior.....

Yep IF the flight is on time... I've had issues where we've been delayed SEVERAL hours.... If that were to happen, you could miss the ship. Unless you booked your air through DCL, they WILL leave without you. I also don't like those early flights, it ruins my whole day. I'm so exhausted, that I never enjoy any first day of vacation after one of those flights..... It's of course all up to you. We always fly in the day prior.....

You are kidding yourself if you think DCL will hold the ship for more than a few minutes for late arriving passengers, even if the air fare is booked through DCL. The harbormaster determines when a ship leaves. DCL can ask for a bit more time, but at the end of the day, faced with union overtime and a restless crew, the harbormaster has the final say.

What they will do is arrange for those late arrivals to meet the ship at the next port with a commercial airport and available flights (which means during a super busy holiday season you could potentially miss the entire cruise if they can't find seats) and cover the cost of the flight as well as hotel and food vouchers in between. If you book airfare on your own, you'd be responsible for these charges, however if your tickets were within the cruise lines "window" (ie arrive at MCO no later than noon) then you trip insurance will cover most if not all of the associated costs, and in some cases even given you a percentage of the cruise fare back by check. The big difference is that you need to put the cash out upfront and then seek reimbursement.

You are kidding yourself if you think DCL will hold the ship for more than a few minutes for late arriving passengers, even if the air fare is booked through DCL. The harbormaster determines when a ship leaves. DCL can ask for a bit more time, but at the end of the day, faced with union overtime and a restless crew, the harbormaster has the final say.

What they will do is arrange for those late arrivals to meet the ship at the next port with a commercial airport and available flights (which means during a super busy holiday season you could potentially miss the entire cruise if they can't find seats) and cover the cost of the flight as well as hotel and food vouchers in between. If you book airfare on your own, you'd be responsible for these charges, however if your tickets were within the cruise lines "window" (ie arrive at MCO no later than noon) then you trip insurance will cover most if not all of the associated costs, and in some cases even given you a percentage of the cruise fare back by check. The big difference is that you need to put the cash out upfront and then seek reimbursement.

It's not worth the chance, in my opinion. Though I have seen the ship wait for passengers in ports due to a late tour (our tour was 30 minutes late and the guide didn't understand why the cruise ship was freaking out and calling every 5 mins).

i've also seen smaller boats meet the cruise ship when it wasn't too far from the port and bring the people inside the ship. That's always amusing.

But I doubt that stuff ever happens at the port of origin. I mean you have to check-in for one and you have luggage. I've done the day of once, from the UK to Rome but we got a super early flight and the flight was pretty short. This time I am not taking the chance, going to stay at the Hyatt the night before and take a half day from work.

The Radisson Resort at the Port

Airport Transportation Pricing:

1 Person: $33.00 USD Flat Fee, One way

2 Persons $50.00 USD Flat Fee, One Way

Each additional person: $10.00 One Way, Flat Fee

Lincoln Town Car (max 2 people:): $105.00 Flat Fee, One Way

*Extra charge for pick ups between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. - $25.00 Flat Fee

These rates are from Orlando Intrenational Airport

Hello all -

What have others done?

Thanks!

The Radisson Resort at the Port

Airport Transportation Pricing:

1 Person: $33.00 USD Flat Fee, One way

2 Persons $50.00 USD Flat Fee, One Way

Each additional person: $10.00 One Way, Flat Fee

Lincoln Town Car (max 2 people:): $105.00 Flat Fee, One Way

*Extra charge for pick ups between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. - $25.00 Flat Fee

These rates are from Orlando Intrenational Airport

Edited by Crazy Ed
add more words

We're taking Royal Shuttle from MCO to Port Canaveral. I did a lot of calling around and pricing out of shuttles, and they seemed like the best option.

Did you check Happy Limo? They have a bus running that reasonable if you have just a few people.

Hello all -

What have others done?

Thanks!

Hi MellieInWI! We will be first-time DCL cruisers later this month. Never cruised out of Port Canaveral, but we are also flying in to MCO the night before and not using Disney transport services. For what it's worth, here's what my husband and I have lined up:

The night we arrive we are renting a car with Budget 1-way from MCO to Port C.—with a discount code I found online it ran us approx $40 after taxes and fees. Staying the night at Country Inn very close to the actual port, ran about $104 and includes a hot breakfast. TripAdvisor reviews for this hotel were overall very favorable.

Morning of cruise we will run a couple of errands for last-minute necessities, drop the car off at Budget, and take the car rental company's complimentary shuttle to the port.

BTW, we were also able to get a very reasonable rate on a return rental car fm Budget ($35) to take back to MCO—reasonable considering it's one way and no overnight.

Best of luck to you!!

You tag your luggage with the tags DCL provides you with and you leave it inside your room. When you check into the Hyatt, mention you are using DCL transfers (you must use DCL transfers for them to take your luggage) and they will give you a sheet with all of the instructions on it. When you go downstairs in the airport in the AM, they will ask you your room number and how many pieces of luggage you left as a double check that they got everything. They say they pick up around 8:30AM, I've never been there at that time, but my luggage as always made it to the ship!!!!! Here is a copy of the letter the Hyatt will give to you.... Hyatt_Instructions_page1.jpg

Hyatt_Instructions_page2.jpg

Great!! Any chance you can email me this? I have been trying to convince my wife to do the Hyatt, and this would help since she is a little worried about this. jimdicap@gmail.com

Thanks!!

Great!! Any chance you can email me this? I have been trying to convince my wife to do the Hyatt, and this would help since she is a little worried about this. jimdicap@gmail.com

Thanks!!

These aren't my letters. I found them on the internet, but they are the same ones I've received. If you right click on the images, you should be able to open them in another page window, which is the same thing......

• 2 weeks later...
These aren't my letters. I found them on the internet, but they are the same ones I've received. If you right click on the images, you should be able to open them in another page window, which is the same thing......

I was so excited to see these I didn't think of that...Thanks!!