CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

We're a party of 5 landing at EWR at 10 am on Mar 5, 2013 same day as the cruise.

How easy is it to find a van taxi to the cruise terminal ? For 5 pax + 5 luggage + carry-ons.

Or do we need to book a car service ?

Thanks

I'd book a car service, or if you wish, you could take two taxis (which might be a bit more money than a mini van from a car service).

when the ship leaves dock does it sail past statue of liberty?

No....because Cape Liberty is south of the Statue of Liberty. You can see it from the ship, but the closest you get is while the ship is docked. When it moves out into the harbor, it turns away from the SoL.

Does anyone know if the parking lot floods? On our roll call for this Sunday's departure on the ExOS the question came up if we're going to have driveable cars to come back to after our high seas adventure with Sandy.

No one has ever reported a flooding problem...but no one knows exactly where this storm is going to hit and it's not inconceivable that a direct hit in that area could cause enough of a storm surge for flooding.

No one has ever reported a flooding problem...but no one knows exactly where this storm is going to hit and it's not inconceivable that a direct hit in that area could cause enough of a storm surge for flooding.

I have not been at Port Liberty before. Is the port parking lot all on the ground or do they have a parking garage where you are above the ground level?

You are in for a rude awakening at Cape Liberty. Bring up Port Terminal Blvd on Google Earth and take a look. The pier is at the end of a 2 mile long peninsula. There is barely a terminal let alone a parking garage. The advantage is that this is a secure area that is relatively inaccessible to random car or foot traffic but it has a very low glamour level.

No....because Cape Liberty is south of the Statue of Liberty. You can see it from the ship, but the closest you get is while the ship is docked. When it moves out into the harbor, it turns away from the SoL.

thanks for the info

if we want to do this site it would be day before or day after

thanks

I just wanted to share our experience cruising in and out of the Cape Liberty cruise port. We stayed at the Residence Inn in Elizabeth, NJ which I highly recommend. Safe area, free shuttle to/from Newark airport, restaurants and outlet mall within walking distance.

We took the hotel's complimentary shuttle to the airport the morning of the cruise. Then we called Dial 7. A car came within ten minutes. There were four of us with four suitcases and two backpacks for a sedan which worked out perfectly. I had a validated coupon for $5.00 off so the cost was $45 plus a tip. There was no extra charge for any tolls.

Upon our return, Dial 7 said they were 45 minutes out so we ended up taking a taxi into Times Square. This cost us $70 plus $15 for tolls plus a tip. With Dial 7, it would have been $50 minus a coupon of $3-4 plus tolls and tip but we had reservations so couldn't wait. If you have the time, please wait for Dial 7 as it is so much better!! If they have to wait for you, however, they said that they charge $10 per 15 minutes. Since you don't know what time you will actually get off the ship, that might not work out. Or do a shuttle service booked ahead of time.

megr1125 & 138east

I just wanted to thank you both again for all the great information you provide. We had no trouble following your directions to the pier and my husband was actually chuckling at me when I ignored the map quest printout and the gps and was reading from information I had printed from cruise critic. They were perfect directions! We also visited the Memorial beside the ship. Thanks again and happy voyages to you both!

Does anyone have word if the Port Liberty Cruise Port parking lot flooded or received the effects of the storm surge? I am wondering if I should be there to assist my son, his wife, and friends when they arrive home on Sunday.

I read on another thread that an email response fron the Mayor of Bayonne's office stated that there had been some flooding at the Cape Liberty Cruise Port, and that it depends where vehicles are parked as to what impact that flooding had.

Alma

Edited by englishlady

Hi. Would you offer some recommendations for NJ car/van/limo services? Multiple people on the roll call for my mid December roll call are wish to share economical transportation from Country I&S in Elizabeth to Bayonne cruise port. So far we have about ten people, half needing one way and half wanting round trip; more people may join the transit if the arrangements are desirable. or we can keep it small. we hope it will be less than $35pp RT shuttle reportedly offered by hotel.

I read the name of independent driver here. Do they handle larger groups? I am also hoping for some more recommendations to compare price options.

Independent Driver will handle a larger group. Coming back from Cape Liberty we were in a small bus like a rental car bus that held about 20 people plus all the luggage in storage racks. Be sure you provide the amount of luggage folks will have. Going over we were in a van that held had seats for 9 people, but with all the luggage it barely held just the seven of us.

I just wanted to check in with the folks that have been so helpful here...a couple months back I asked questions and got great advice on taking public transit to Cape Liberty.

Well, sometimes the best laid plans need to have a backup! We've made it in to NYC - flew in via Newark this afternoon...and after lots of traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel, made it to our hotel at 35th and 6th.

Lucky that our hotel has power...half a block away is the blackout zone...it was surreal to take a taxi in the pitch black down Fifth Avenue. Most of Midtown west (including Times Sq) has power, but from 5th > east between 35 and around 40: all dark.

Next test will be tomorrow...an it's been clear for a couple days that taking the PATH and NJ light rail would not be an option! Hoping our prepaid car from dial7 will be here on time (all sorts of issues with gas shortages), how long it will take to get to Bayonne, and whether we really do go ahead with boarding Brilliance of the Seas.

It's been an adventure these last few days checking the status of things and altering plans as needed, but well worth it!

Noel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know some people were asking about the Port and the parking lot, I will be on Explorer in a few weeks so I was also interested. Here is a link to someone who checked into the parking situation at the Port because they are picking family up this Sunday. Interesting comments, hopefully things will begin to work out for all soon.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35933632&postcount=33

Mike

Hi jmca110! Also from MD and heading on the ExOS on the 28th. Join our Roll call, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1567298

Ed

Sorry Ed, I didn't get back on after I posted this! I was with a group of photographers this time. You may have seen us shooting throughout the ship. We had several models with us.

Does anyone have any feedback on how Cape Liberty held up with Hurricane Sandy?

We just returned from the Hurricane Sandy experience on the Explorer of the Seas. It was an experience I'll not soon forget!! I have to say our Captain had only our safety in mind when he chose his path. As you saw, the Norwegian went the wrong way. Our Captain explained why he chose the path he did and warned us it would be rough. True to his word, it was very rough the first two days. No one expected Sandy to go from a Cat 1 to a Cat 3 though. That was the first time I used a patch for seasickness. I knew this would not be the usual sail. I'm glad I used it, I didn't have a minute of seasickness. It was a challenge to just walk around on Day 2 and we used the rails all day. I plan to write a letter to RC praising their Captain. I'm so glad we didn't get stranded like the Norwegian. We arrived in Bermuda on time too! The sail home was rough also but manageable. The cars that parked at the Pier were totaled from water over 5 feet during the storm. We had parked at Premier Parking and had no water at all. They had arranged for transportation for everyone that had to go to the airport. Royal Caribbean has earned my respect!!

We just returned from the Hurricane Sandy experience on the Explorer of the Seas. It was an experience I'll not soon forget!! I have to say our Captain had only our safety in mind when he chose his path. As you saw, the Norwegian went the wrong way. Our Captain explained why he chose the path he did and warned us it would be rough. True to his word, it was very rough the first two days. No one expected Sandy to go from a Cat 1 to a Cat 3 though.... I plan to write a letter to RC praising their Captain. I'm so glad we didn't get stranded like the Norwegian. We arrived in Bermuda on time too! The sail home was rough also but manageable. The cars that parked at the Pier were totaled from water over 5 feet during the storm. We had parked at Premier Parking and had no water at all. They had arranged for transportation for everyone that had to go to the airport. Royal Caribbean has earned my respect!!

What Norwegian went the wrong way? I have heard of some rough rides...not sure there was a "right" way that would have avoided the rough stuff. I heard an NCL ship was delayed as the Manhattan dock was closed. But who went the wrong way?

I am workin overnight getting out @ 8am on the 15th. I work in prov. Ri, does anyone know if leaving at this time will be ok? I have no idea about driving to nj. The computer tells me 4 hours but i have no idea how the traffic is.

Thanks for the help