CAPE LIBERTY 411 - Version 3!

megr1125

Hey Meg, thanks for all the info on driving to a from the Port. We left this morning, we took the early departure and were at our car and leaving the port by 7:50am which was great. We were the third couple through customs and we used the express departure.

Now I have a question, we used our AAA trip ticket and GPS to go home and did fine but obviously we were traveling during rush hour. We took I78 west to NJ RT 24 to I287N to I80W. Now.... we sat in traffic on I78, NJ24 and I287 for about a total of 20-25 minutes in addition to the 40 min the ride took. Is that unusual during the morning rush hour for that trip to take an hour or is that just the way it is? I know you said that although longer, take I78w to 95n to 80w, is that any faster during the morning rush hour? Just wondering if the route AAA and the GPS sent us is bad during morning rush. There were no wrecks just lots of stop and go traffic.

Mike

I95 north is 6 lanes split between the eastern and western Turnpike spurs. I've driven north from the port on a weekday morning to go to the GW bridge and it was fine all the way to I80 - traffic but no stoppages until I got to the bridge. I would think I80 west would be better as well. I78 has a really bad rep no matter what direction you are taking it.

We are looking at a Sept 14 night cruise leaving and arriving on a Saturday.We will be driving in from Cleveland(staying Friday night) and want to use a hotel with free parking.

From what I have read it sounds like the Country Inn would be the right choice.

What do you think?

Look at stay123.com for a country inns park/sleep for your date. You can buy a rt port transfer from them for $35/pp or arrange your own transportation through Independent Driver. CI offers a cruise package, but I'm betting doing it yourself will be cheaper.

To MikeB...yeah, those are all nasty routes you took. Normally heading west during rush hour is not a problem...it's the people heading East into NYC thats the problem. But 78, 24 and 287 all get ugly that early in the morning, regardless of direction. To me, 95 would've been the way to go. Not sure how long you're on 78 out of the port to get to 95. I seem to think that 95 can be jumped on right from the port...but hey, it's been awhile. :)

To MikeB...yeah, those are all nasty routes you took. Normally heading west during rush hour is not a problem...it's the people heading East into NYC thats the problem. But 78, 24 and 287 all get ugly that early in the morning, regardless of direction. To me, 95 would've been the way to go. Not sure how long you're on 78 out of the port to get to 95. I seem to think that 95 can be jumped on right from the port...but hey, it's been awhile. :)

Thanks, yep it was just across the river to get on 95. Guess I will be doing that in September when I go home next time. I assume on the weekend it doesn't matter which way you go, is that correct?

Mike

We are looking at a Sept 14 night cruise leaving and arriving on a Saturday.We will be driving in from Cleveland(staying Friday night) and want to use a hotel with free parking.

From what I have read it sounds like the Country Inn would be the right choice.

What do you think?

Besides stay123.com look at trinityreservations.com. We are from Cleveland and have used the stay/park at Newark. It works well.

Edited by CarolRick

Yes - absolutlely look at trinity. They quote tax included whereas stay 123 quotes without tax. Please don't just pick the cheapest option you find - some places are more acceptable than others for a variety of reasons. You have to be picky about where you ditch your car at Newark.

Yes if you're flying out of Newark a 12:05 flight should be fine qs long as the ship arrives bwck on time. When are you sailing?

Thanks 138east. We (DD, DGS and I) are sailing March 15. There are several flights leaving later in the afternoon, but it would be adding another $400 to our bill. I’m assuming there will be ample taxi’s available….can you tell me the @ cost of a taxi to the airport.

Joann and I stayed at the Country Inn when we cruised on the Explorer two years ago and have no complaints what so ever. I have reservations there again for our cruise 15 March. We used their shuttle service and the cost is $35.00 per person roundtrip. You pay when you check in and you will get a voucher for both ways. I am thinking it was somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes from the motel to the port. The van that took us was a bit crowed but we made it just fine and they were there when we picked up our luggage and a larger van. Is there a cheaper way to get there? Probably.

I did make a call to 888-816-0973 and I hope the guy was in error because he told me the cost is $45.00 per person one way.

quote=138east;36382850]Look at stay123.com for a country inns park/sleep for your date. You can buy a rt port transfer from them for $35/pp or arrange your own transportation through Independent Driver. CI offers a cruise package, but I'm betting doing it yourself will be cheaper.

My family of four, consisting of my parents, my daughter and myself, is cruising on Feb 1 for a 9 day cruise.

I'd like input on the shuttle from the hotel vs driving and parking myself. A little background: My parents are 80, and my father is both legally blind and seriously hearing impaired. He also gets VERY anxious when traveling.

From what I can tell, it would cost us at least $140 round trip for the shuttle, and approximately $190 for parking. I don't mind the driving at all - and frequently drive from Maine to Manhattan by myself.

So - is it worth saving the $50 or so to take a shuttle from a hotel?

Thanks!

Susan in Maine...given your father's issues I suspect you will be better off driving to the port in your own car...however no one can really answer that question but you.

Parking for a 9 night cruise is $171, so the price differential is even a little less than you thought.

Edited by njhorseman

My family of four, consisting of my parents, my daughter and myself, is cruising on Feb 1 for a 9 day cruise.

I'd like input on the shuttle from the hotel vs driving and parking myself. A little background: My parents are 80, and my father is both legally blind and seriously hearing impaired. He also gets VERY anxious when traveling.

From what I can tell, it would cost us at least $140 round trip for the shuttle, and approximately $190 for parking. I don't mind the driving at all - and frequently drive from Maine to Manhattan by myself.

So - is it worth saving the $50 or so to take a shuttle from a hotel?

Thanks!

Susan - we are on the same cruise! Please join us on the Roll Call forum for the EX and sign up for the Meet and Mingle.

This will be my 10th cruise on the EX. The first five cruises were with my mobility impaired mother who was almost 92 when she passed away. Please feel free to email me at cc138east at gmail dot com. I would like to know more details about your plan for getting to Cape Liberty. In your situation I would tend to agree with njhorseman that it is worth the money to park at the pier.

I came up with 2 seperate web sites (see the links) that indicate parking at Cape Liberty is run by "Central Parking."

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=315&faqSubjectId=331

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/dirpark.htm

If you go to their web site and search for parking at Cape Liberty, you won't find anything. I tried calling their 800 number (800-836-6666) today

(Sunday) but they are closed on weekends. I suggest you try contacting

them during the week to see if they operate the parking right at the pier and ask them about your motorhome.

http://nyc.centralparking.com/Contact.html

We are driving from Maine, staying at Country Inn & Suites. After talking it over with my parents, we decided that parking at the pier was the best choice for us. I have a GPS and am used to driving in both Boston and NYC, so I'm not concerned about the driving.

My parents have cruised several times before, so they are familiar with the drill. I've booked them a Handicapped cabin, and we have a 6PM dining time, so we're all good.

At this point they can't handle driving to the airport, flying somewhere, hotel, shuttle to ship, etc. so we're pretty much stuck with sailing from drivable ports.

I think you've made the right decision. It's very easy to drive to Cape Liberty from Country Inns. You just get on the NJ turnpike north and go one exit and follow the signs to exit 14A. I just posted the directions from the toll booth to the port at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1757873

You can drop off your luggage with the porters. Everyone can stay in the car, particularly if it's cold. You continue on the access road and make a left and a left to get into the parking lot. You prepay the parking. Drive halfway through the lot and make a left towards the break in the fence. You cross the access road you just came in on and go to the parking area on the other side which is where all the handicapped parking is. Your parents should be able to easily walk to the security entrance. If your father can stay with you, it should ease his anxiety. There is no easy inside place for your parents to wait while you park the car.

I would advise leaving the hotel about 10 am knowing that you might hit traffic getting into the port or might have to wait a bit in the lounge. If your father is willing, I might also ask for wheelchair assistance so that you get special help boarding the shuttle bus out to the gangway and on to the ship. This should also help ease his anxiety about the various transitions and will be a lot safer for him overall.

Do you have the cars only directions through NYC to avoid I95 through the South Bronx?

Wow! What a helpful post! I'm going to be printing it out and taking it with me.

Am I to understand that once we get checked in, we will be taking a shuttle to the ship itself?

My plan was to leave the hotel no later than 10AM. Thanks for confirming that's a good time.

I don't know what my GPS is going to say. I'll plug in the address to the hotel in the next couple of days and see where it's planning on taking us. I will check back if I have any questions.

I haven't been on CruiseCritic for a couple of years - I'm remembering what a great resource you all are!

Susan in Maine

Yes you will take a large shuttle bus across the tarmac to the ship. Even when my mom was more mobile, I insisted she go in a wheelchair for her own safety and comfort. It's just too crowded and there are too many inattentive people with rolling luggage who your dad can't see and who will not know your dad is has both visual and hearing impairments.

GPS can suck though NYC. It's also not super reliable in the Newark area. What time do you expect to hit the NY/CT border when you come down on a Thursday?

Here's another option for your cruise that was recently discussed - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1700694

Parking at the pier is $19/day and is inconvenient when you return even if you could get your car from the pier. I wouldn't want to be looking for my car in the dark out on Cape Liberty. You can make much less expensive parking arrangements at an airport hotel and you have to pay for a cab or car service at some point anyway. If you have a lot of luggage, you can always spend an additional $20-25 and take a cab from the airport terminal directly to the hotel instead of the monorail to P4 to get the hotel shuttle.

I think I missed something, somewhere. I'm thinking of driving to Bayonne - it should be 4 hours from my house - and parking at the pier. I'm traveling alone so I like to keep things simple (nobody to share the hassles with ;)). How is the parking inconvenient, as I bolded above? Do you just mean when there are no ships in port? I'm doing a closed loop, not a repositioning. Thanks.

I'm sure that was a discussion of retrieving a car after a repositioning cruise, which is a moot point because you can't park at the pier anyway for one of those cruises. It sounds funny when you take it out of context.

Parking at the pier is super convenient. I always did it when I cruised with my mom. As a solo cruiser I've done park/sleeps, public transit, and finally settled on the cruise bus from Boston.