Why is a "sale" never a "sale"..?

hannahsmomtoo

See! I said it in the thread with the "insider info" that this sale was coming. I absolutely knew there'd be a thread complaining about how the sales aren't sales.

But of course they're sales! It's all marketing, people!

It's to get NEW cruisers to cruise! Sales aren't designed to give already-booked Cruise Critic members price drops.

Sheesh. Every single time we have threads like this.

Do people only book hoping the price will drop? Maybe I just have really excellent timing, but the prices for my cruises rarely drop.

Maybe I'll start booking when the price seems high so I can get really excited because I get a few dollars drop! Woot! :rolleyes:

Nahhh! really wasn't expecting to gain on a "sale" but had to look anyway.

The good thing is you mentioned it yesterday which reminded me to look. Yesterday the price was down another $10 PP so I submited for $20 OBC. This make a total of $60 savings since we booked.

Bottom line is, we booked at $759 PP initially and thought that was a decent price for an 8K. We wouldn't have booked it otherwise. Any breaks we get are just icing on top.

Thanks for making me look!

Our 4B went down $130 but there's only 1 room left in this category so I can't get the $130 price reduction. I could only move up to a 4H. Decided to stay where we are. I like the lower floors for disembarking on the last day. And no view from an inside so why bother. TA said the ship sways more the higher up you get and our friends have never cruised, thought it best to keep them on the lower floor just in case.

Booked our cruise in February for October sailing. Haven't seen a decrease in price yet. In fact, the price went up $l50 per person. I guess we got a good rate when we booked. Keep looking though. I wonder what price these people paid who get a $200+ OBC?

My cruise went down $300 for my obstructed balcony plus still had the $200 OBC. I had booked online as past guest and called customer service and got the price knocked down.

Easy Peasy.

I always check every now and then for a price drop, have never had trouble getting it applied to my current reservation as long as final payment hasn't occurred.

I also have an NCL cruise booked for the same kind of trip (haven't decided which I'm doing) and got $100 knocked off of that price about a month ago, but now it's a few hundred more expensive. That's a pure balcony and they do have nice balconies on NCL, but the difference in price plus the OBC (only $30 on NCL) is starting to make the Carnival more attractive.

Mine didn't change, however, there was an option on the Carnival booking site to get a VIFP discount of $200 for 2 people (although I'm not sure I could do that after full payment), and I also checked out an upgrade that had an option for senior discount that was not there before. Actually, it happened last night, not today. I was able to upgrade from a 8a balcony to a Ocean Suite for $80.

I'm very pleased with this "sale".

So I was all excited.. to "watch out for Thursday"... "big sale"..

ummm... sure.. the prices skyrocketed $200 overnight on each cruise I am watching.. to accomodate the "sale" discounts..

sigh :mad:

ok vent over.

It's called "marketing" :D.. making something seem special when it isn't.

and actually, most all retail business to that. Your grocery chains all do, you just don't know it.

A local store frequently here has a big sale on cola.. two for the price of one... at the regular price

...except their sale price for one is substantially lower, such that you can buy 2 and be cheaper than their 2-for-1 sale.

They actually make more money when they sell them 2-for-1... but people think they are getting a steal and load up on them.

It's the same with Royal Caribbean. Whenever they have a "Wow" sale it turns out to me a "Meh" sale. You do much better with their weekly specials.
Everyone has mentioned the sales which aren't sales from the cruise lines.

Just as bad, perhaps worse are the internet TA's and their continual sales.

Both of the ones I've used have one sale leading directly into another sale.

Big whoop. Waiting for the free gratuities sale.

We got two price drops of about $80 right after we booked, but prices have been going up steadily, ever since. It is now about $190 more than we paid, and with just over two months left I'd be pretty surprised to see it drop that far. But , you never know, so I will keep checking!!

We are on the Breeze Dec 22 cruise booked on the Early Saver price. Our cove balcony - 7A has gone up quite abit. On the Carnival site, I have being seeing the same cabins available for the past while, so they have not be selling.

You would think they would reduce the price to get people to buy instead of increasing the price.

On the Carnival site, you can book a cove balcony with a VIP rate but when you go on the Fare Finder site, there is no VIP rate showing.

$60 drop on L-shaped extended balcony. Probably not the best room to some, but we are certainly excited about it.

Is this your first L-Shaped cabin?? If not how did you like the cabin? We have our first "L" on our B2B in Jan. We could upgrade but really want to try the "L"

Archived