Port Strike Possible??

Thanks for posting this. Till now I was confusing the porters with the longshoremen too.

The information was untrue; the people serving as "porters" at U.S. ports are longshoreman. You can call or e-mail customer service for any of the ports and they will verify this.

We were talking with RC employee who was responsible for negotiating the contract with the baggage handlers at a certain port. She said that they came away with a very nice setlement and the workers would be paid very well. They agreed not to look for tips as part of the agreement. A couple months later she decided to take a cruise out of that port. After she left her bag with a porter, he kind of hung around as if he was waiting to be tipped. She started to tell him that she knew what he was being paid and that he wasn't supposed to look for tips...however...she changed her mind because she wanted to see her bags again during her trip. Remember that the work they do is hard and hot. I don't think it's going to hurt anyone too bad to turn loose of a couple bucks.

They all split the tips at PC. They all give the money to a supervisor who takes care of them all at the end of their shift. They must make a good living for some of them to drive so far for a couple hours of work.

So because someone works hard in the heat they should be tipped?? Guess I should ride thru the constructions zones handing out singles for making our roads better.

No where in that article did it say anything about porters & there salaries. Last time I been at a port none of the porters looked relatives of the mob , just saying . So I think your wrong on this one , sorry.

What do relatives of the mob look like?

Unless something has changed in the past few years, Baltimore is Teamsters. I worked in the shipping industry with all the unions at the various ports in North America.

The Port of Baltimore has never used Teamsters .

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Porters at any port are traditionally the lowest paid employees.

I always tip them well, usually $2/bag.

Better safe than sorry...:)

That is so true. Besides, do you realize the back problems they will have later in life? I also tip $2 per bag.

• 4 weeks later...
That is so true. Besides, do you realize the back problems they will have later in life? I also tip $2 per bag.

Blah. They have a choice to not dO that job and not have back problems. Tipping them because the bag may not make it seems seems like ghetto blackmail. I'll tip a dollar per just to be certain but tipping them is ridiculous.

Archived