Port Strike Possible??

I wonder if this will affect embarkation/disembarkation at cruise ports:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/wrong_shoremen_rmsvi5BKSqP3WIG5lo4T6L

Don't crucify me, but this is why I stopped tipping porters -- they make plenty of money. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you don't tip your luggage will probably get lost.

Don't crucify me, but this is why I stopped tipping porters -- they make plenty of money. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Porters aren't.....

Ah, nevermind. I'd rather just watch this one. ;):D

Just print this out when you print your luggage tag, place clear packing tape on both sides(just like luggage tags) and attach to your luggage handle with a zip tie, again right along with your luggage tag:rolleyes:

Your bags will do just fine

k3002596.jpg.04d2ff267691f9e3ed40566d2ef87ce6.jpg

Am I getting this right? 1) They get paid for 24 hours when only being there for a few hours and 2) They make almost $400,000.00 a year? :eek: And 3) Possibly because they are mob related???

No where in that article did it say anything about porters & there salaries. Last time I been at a port none of the porters looked relatives of the mob , just saying . So I think your wrong on this one , sorry.

Be careful I got one point for a Nuisance Post by the mods for posting pass the Popcorn. And you know what they were right this adds nothing to any discussion.

So did I but this one should get real good. Pass the popcorn please!

Be careful I got one point for a Nuisance Post by the mods for posting pass the Popcorn. And you know what they were right this adds nothing to any discussion.

Thank you for letting me know this - you are so right and I apologize. :o

Porters and people working cruise terminals are NOT longshoremen.

Longshoremen are the people who load and unload cargo ships. They may load/unload supplies to some cruise ships, but you aren't ever seeing/tipping a longshoremen.

However, porters usually are teamsters.

Anyways, the whole article is just full of all sorts of fail. The NY Post is owned by a particular person that is vehemently anti-union. :rolleyes:

So did I but this one should get real good. Pass the popcorn please!

So did I!

And the next one will be for discussing board moderation. Another no-no...;)

The union of the porters is determined by individual contracts with the ports. They can be one union in NJ and another in Baltimore etc. The west coast has a different union from the east coast.

The ILA and Teamsters are both very powerful unions and other unions tend to follow their lead.

We always get a porter when diembarking because we have so much luggage. Since I am a Teamster retiree I usually strike up a coversation with them. All of them I have spoken to do say they belong to a union and all of them have worked very very hard for me so we tip them generously. This past year when embarking in SanJuan the porter ran all over the place to get our luggage and get us in the proper line. Just because you belong to a union doesn't mean you are overpaid.

Longshoremen are the people who load and unload cargo ships. They may load/unload supplies to some cruise ships, but you aren't ever seeing/tipping a longshoremen.

Maybe we can settle this kind of misinformation once and for all. The Porters at some if not most East and Southern US cruise terminals are in the I.L.A. Here is a webpage from the Miami Local:

http://ilalocal1416.com/ Click on I.L.A. at Work

PorterX2.jpg

I know for a fact that the Porters at Port Canaveral are in the local at Fort Pierce:

http://www.portcanaveral.com/tenants/tenantpages/labor.htm

I have confirmed that in discussions with them when checking in my luggage. Many even drive from Fort Pierce to PC to work the cruise ships. About 180 miles round trip.

Can we move on now?

Maybe we can settle this kind of misinformation once and for all. The Porters at East and Southern US cruise terminals are in the I.L.A. Here is a webpage from the Miami Local:

http://ilalocal1416.com/ Click on I.L.A. at Work

PorterX2.jpg

I know for a fact that the Porters at Port Canaveral are and are in the local at Fort Pierce:

http://www.portcanaveral.com/tenants/tenantpages/labor.htm

Can we move on now?

Unless something has changed in the past few years, Baltimore is Teamsters. I worked in the shipping industry with all the unions at the various ports in North America.

We were talking with RC employee who was responsible for negotiating the contract with the baggage handlers at a certain port. She said that they came away with a very nice setlement and the workers would be paid very well. They agreed not to look for tips as part of the agreement. A couple months later she decided to take a cruise out of that port. After she left her bag with a porter, he kind of hung around as if he was waiting to be tipped. She started to tell him that she knew what he was being paid and that he wasn't supposed to look for tips...however...she changed her mind because she wanted to see her bags again during her trip. Remember that the work they do is hard and hot. I don't think it's going to hurt anyone too bad to turn loose of a couple bucks.

They all split the tips at PC. They all give the money to a supervisor who takes care of them all at the end of their shift. They must make a good living for some of them to drive so far for a couple hours of work.

Thanks for posting this. Till now I was confusing the porters with the longshoremen too.

Archived