foreign currency

threeedogmedia

Would any of you recommend that we purchase some currency for Israel, Egypt or Turkey or do they usually take US $ or Euro's? We were in Egypt a number of years ago and it was fine at the time to use US $ but not sure what our economic situation is doing to the ease of using our currency. I know we can get additional Euro's on the ship and that's fine but I know that they don't offer "specialty" currency....

Karen

You shouldn't have a problem in Israel or Turkey with dollars or euros. Shouldn't be a problem in Egypt either, except you'll likely get gouged on the price (unless it's like pre-arranged excursion or something).

We were on the Riviera cruise in July-August which made these stops. There was no problem using US or euros in Egypt or Israel. In Turkey I was surprised to see ATM's which offered US, Euros, or Turkish Lira. Or course for small purchases have small bills. The ship is excellent for getting smaller bills for your 50's or 100's in dollars or euros.

Egypt and Turkey I never had problems using dollars. In Israel I think it depended on where you were, but if you were off the beaten track they wanted Shekels. However I think the worst you're likely to do is get change in local currency.

Egypt: any currency is good for small businesses (street vendors, camel rides, taxi rides). However, for government or big business thing (library, museum and monument admission tickets, bus rides) you will need Egyptian pounds. There are some ATMs, or it is easy to exchange euros or dollars for Egyptian pounds from any street seller outside the museum, but the rate will not always be the best.

In Alexandria there is a reliable ATM inside the Cecil Hotel (where the Oceania shuttle drops you off) and another outside the library (Bibliotheca Alexandrina). I used both of those ATMs, no fees and safe, reputable banks.

In Port said, there are several banks with outside ATMs abut 3 blocks from the port. Walkable, but it helps if you know where you are going.

You can also exchange leftover Egyptian pounds back into Euros or dollars with any street vendor. Again, the exchange rate may not favor you.

Israel: Same, but even less of an excuse to need to use street changers because there are plenty of reputable ATMs everywhere. Some ATMs were in Hebrew only.

Turkey: Same, and lots of ATs, but you absolutely need Turkish lira for publish transportation (2 TL for the trams, which you could take a lot). There are ATMs everywhere in Istanbul, as well as just outside the port in Kusadasi.

at Travelex. They do not charge if you buy a substantial amount, and they take it back within 90 days without a charge. They take it back for what you paid for it. You keep your receipt. Recently I paid more for Euros and the Euro fell, but I didn't lose as they gave me what I paid.

at Travelex. They do not charge if you buy a substantial amount, and they take it back within 90 days without a charge. They take it back for what you paid for it. You keep your receipt. Recently I paid more for Euros and the Euro fell, but I didn't lose as they gave me what I paid.

They do charge...it's built into the poor exchange rate that they give you.

Archived