Ventura transfers in Venice

ed the dog

On our next cruise, we are stopping in Venice.

I have heard some reports of it taking passengers, who were not booked on shore excursions, over 2 hours to disembark.

But passengers on P & O shore excursions were given priority and disembarked from a different side of the ship.

I assume this is because transfers are made on local water taxis etc and not the ships tenders?

Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

I wasn't going to book an excursion at this port, but might have to reconsider, if it saves me 2 hours waiting to get off.

We have been to Venice 4 times, always been docked and walk off as soon as the ship is cleared. The docks take about 6 cruise liners, and I have never seen any tendering.

You can use the People Mover and or the Vaporetto service to get into St Marks. We have walked it, its a long way and easy to get lost!

Richard

I think the delay you mention might not be to disembark as such but to wait for the chargeable boat transfer to St Marks Square. It did seem very popular when we we there. However, much better to take the free port transfer bus to Piazalle Roma where you can get the vaperetto service down the grand canal, something you would miss on the ships boat transfer.

Archived