Can I bring a beach umbrella??

KI Cruiser

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I am sailing to Bahamas in Jan. and want to carry on my own beach umbrella for use in port beaches. I am on Pride. It's in a plastic carry case too.

Anyone know if that's allowed on ship and in ports??:confused:

Yes it is! We have taken ours to Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

Yes it is! We have taken ours to Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay.

If yours was too big for your suitcase, and it's in that plastic carrybag they come in, did you check it or carry it on? I pulled mine out yesterday thinking I could put it diaganolly in my suitcase, but it won't fit, so I'm not sure which would be easiest...

Guest LoveMyBoxer
If yours was too big for your suitcase, and it's in that plastic carrybag they come in, did you check it or carry it on? I pulled mine out yesterday thinking I could put it diaganolly in my suitcase, but it won't fit, so I'm not sure which would be easiest...

We carried it on, has a strap to go over shoulder. It is just like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLap6r6MaPrb5U1YsxP2fTYNEkbyZ_fEyyO1eIfWhWEABXx-1R

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR1sOAmk39CiB23_UI4nN_jXMIeKD099bt93CN5z__tmhNv-i9uow

Thanks!

I'd thought about putting a luggage tag on it, but thought it might get bent or such going with the suitcases. Then wondered just how crazy I'd look going through security with an umbrella on my shoulder. Kind of like I should have a tube around my waist and flippers on my feet - LOL!

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Thanks!

I'd thought about putting a luggage tag on it, but thought it might get bent or such going with the suitcases. Then wondered just how crazy I'd look going through security with an umbrella on my shoulder. Kind of like I should have a tube around my waist and flippers on my feet - LOL!

It's really light and nobody even questioned it. Like it much better than the hot and stuffy clam shells. We even had people come up to us in HMC wanting to buy it! Hubby was sorry he didn't bring two! LOL

It's really light and nobody even questioned it. Like it much better than the hot and stuffy clam shells. We even had people come up to us in HMC wanting to buy it! Hubby was sorry he didn't bring two! LOL

Yes, everyone probably thought how smart you were (and that is too!).

We have the same one. I know DH will say I'm crazy, but I'm thinking of taking it for Grand Cayman 7 Mile Beach and Roatan.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
You can rent umbrellas at those ports, if you don't want to bring one.

Not sure which ports others are going to, but in HMC and Grand Turk there are no umbrellas to rent

Not sure which ports others are going to, but in HMC and Grand Turk there are no umbrellas to rent

I'm looking specifically for HMC, so I"ll be bringing my umbrella. We did a clamshell for mom one time, and it was so unbearably hot. She eventually just got out into the sun. and she paid for it later.

My husband laughed when I pulled out the umbrella this week, but then as he says "If it will make my mother-in-law happy, by all means, bring it!" (he knows where to suck up :) )

Thanks!

I've seen people carry large fans and bed pillows. I don't think an umbrella in a case will look crazy at all.

I've seen people carry large fans and bed pillows. I don't think an umbrella in a case will look crazy at all.

That makes me feel better :)

I used to laugh when people would bring their own pillows places, until all the nice places started putting those big flat fluffy pillows... I'm a stomach sleeper and have a hard time sleeping without my thin flat pillow.

As to how to get the cabana on the plane: If the carry bag is sturdy enough, I'd just try to check it as luggage. See online what the "maximum dimensions" are. Sometimes it's just add the length to the width, and what the cabana adds in length (compared to regular suitcases) it loses in width, so migbht just work.

Archived