Fascination Man Overboard 8-27-12? (MERGED THREADS)

ThinkingWoman

Wow! Why would anyone jump overboard and risk death over just getting caught and dealing with the consequences?

There has to be far more to the "altercation." Something that could have got him in trouble both criminally and with the military. What he tried to achieve by jumping over, I have no idea, but alcohol can severely inpair judgement... :cool:

Edit: Would Carnival actually issue an official statement on the circumstances or, as you previously linked to Cruise Law, would they leave it as a person jumped overboard?

To tell you truth, I don't know. When a police organization goes hands-on, and the subject winds up injured or dead, regardless of fault, the police reserve comment. I would imagine Carnival is receiving the same cousel if their security went hands-on with Sgt Kemp. Just the fact a person is dead (presumed) from one of their ships, they are probably holding comment until the investigation is complete. In fact, they may be under orders from investigators not to give comment until the investigation is complete.

Cruise Critic is finally on the case and they have some interesting information...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4965

Thanks for the link - as Auquahoud had said - this is going to be a crazy story - waiting for "the rest of the story"

Maybe he thought he would be able to land on another deck - or float away from the boat and then ??? what? I feel bad for his family - here they worry and worry while he is on tour, then comes back to visit and does something so foolish....

Paul....seems like you don't want to say much more in regards to details. I just have a question for you....back when this first happened you said this one was a real crazy story....with what has been released in today's CC article it just sounds like a stupid drunk story....are we to assume there is still much more to this story that hasn't been released:confused:

Paul....seems like you don't want to say much more in regards to details. I just have a question for you....back when this first happened you said this one was a real crazy story....with what has been released in today's CC article it just sounds like a stupid drunk story....are we to assume there is still much more to this story that hasn't been released:confused:

If I were a betting man, I would put money on there being just a little bit more to it. ;)

You didn't think him entering staff areas, having an altercation and then jumping from deck to deck was crazy? That's wild enough for me.. but I am pretty tame !

Thanks for the link - as Auquahoud had said - this is going to be a crazy story - waiting for "the rest of the story"

Maybe he thought he would be able to land on another deck - ....

That is what the story said, he jumped off of one deck, and landed one deck below.:eek:

That not being enough, he jumped off of that deck .... and that is the rest of the story.:eek::confused:

I don't know that they get a "pass". It's quite striking to see a vet, 15 years post war experience, hear a noise and hit the floor so fast it makes your head spin because he thought it was incomming helicopters.

My boyfriend was a Navy Seal in Vietnam. I learned quickly not to wake him up suddenly when he was sleeping.

I have absolutely NO military background but I find your post to not coincide with plain old common sense.

It seems to me that it's against human nature to kill. If you are in active combat shooting away at people, or watching people get blown away no matter how much a threat those people are, it seems to reason that it would screw with your head. You don't need to be brilliant or even of average intelligence to see this.

Post traumatic stress occurs with simple things. I once pulled into the garage and didn't see my dog and literally hit him with my car. He was fine..I was not. For two solid years, I got nauseous every time I pulled into my garage. I will hear that 'thump' noise forever in my head.

That is only small PTS.

I once slid down my stairs and for a couple weeks cringed inside every time I went down them recalling how much that hurt like hell...small PTS.

I imagine being in real combat would screw up even the most strong minded person because what one does during combat goes against their soul. I cannot believe that it's rare. I am sure there are varying degrees but I imagine everyone who sees horrors experiences it...EVERY one.

First I want to say, I'm sorry about the incident with your dog; and yes that certainly is a case of PTSD.

Just to shed some light on those who don't think PTSD is real, here are some facts.

Any individual who has witnessed or is the victim of a traumatic incident can suffer from PTSD. In order to be diagnosed with this mental illness, a individual must experience flash backs, have intruding thoughts of the incident and feels a sense of fear or hopelessness. A person can also experience changes in their eating/sleeping and hygiene patterns. Person's who suffer with PTSD also may have a difficult time focusing on things or enjoying activities that they used to. The individual also has to experience any of the above for a period of 6 months before a diagnoses of PTSD is given.

So in short; yes any member of the military who has shot someone, been shot at or have witnessed others being shot at can most certainly have PTSD as can all the individuals who have been raped, witnessed a rape or witnessed a murder or a catasthropic even such as 911.

If I were a betting man, I would put money on there being just a little bit more to it. ;)

Wow Paul Really?????? Im going to have to bring my computer to Galveston this weekend so I can find out the rest:o

Given that the crew member with whom he had a Physical confrontation with was female, i am wondering if it was viewed as a sexual assault? If that were the case, would he not have put his whole future military career at risk? Ie a criminal charge? I cant imagine where he thought he could run to, on a ship?

Given that the crew member with whom he had a Physical confrontation with was female, i am wondering if it was viewed as a sexual assault? If that were the case, would he not have put his whole future military career at risk? Ie a criminal charge? I cant imagine where he thought he could run to, on a ship?

This occured to me as well.

Well if he was in the crew area he must have been looking for someone? Either after someone he was mad at, or someone he wanted to spend some time with?

Well if he was in the crew area he must have been looking for someone? Either after someone he was mad at, or someone he wanted to spend some time with?

A drunk soldier on leave and a woman is involved ......Hmmm.???????????.

Something so bad he jumped ship to avoid security:confused:

I guess I'm just a little more cold hearted than others in this thread. I don't have a lot of sympathy for "stupid". Of course we don't know the whole story or have a lot of facts but it seems likely that the guy had a little too much to drink, fought with his girlfriend, got mad and bailed. If that turns out to be the case then I'll be kind of Forrest Gump about it "stupid is as stupid does".

We'll just have to wait and see.

Your alot more....:rolleyes:

Archived