What's in you carry on?

Herbaltees

I'm a follower of Rick Steves, and go by his packing list on RickSteves.com. You can travel indefinitely with a 21" rolling bag.

But, I always end up wearing about 1/2 what I take. On a cruise, I'll predominantly use a bathing suit, 2 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of khaki pants and 5 golf shirts.

I've got to the point where I'd just about as soon skip the dress up nights--except for the food's especially good and my wife expects me to dress up.

I carry a rolling backpack that fits under the airplane seat and put my purse in this as well. I carry my passport and other important docs, meds for my diabetic husband, his tester,snacks so that if we get stuck unexpectently my hubby will have something to eat, my contacts (use daily so no solution to carry), hubby's reading glasses and most importantly--my KINDLE!!!

Usually carry on all our documents, valuables/electronics, meds and our wine.

There is no limit to the number of carry ons you can bring, the only size limitations are that it must fit thru the X-ray machine or be checked.

Just remember that anything you bring on, you have to carry around until your rooms are ready - generally around 1:30pm

We only pack and bring the suitcases that are carry on on flights and also fit through the x-ray machines. I do not mind dragging my bags around, as I always want to be able to unpack as soon as I can get to our cabin and I am not good at waiting for my bags, if I checked them. 1 bag each for shorter cruises and 3 total fpr 7-13 days.

Yes, meds, extra clothes, books etc... BUT the most important is my wine. The wife doesn't drink, so I have 2 bottles all mine. That way when I get on board I can have a drink while opening a book, then my wife and daughter go explore.

Last cruise it was right to the Sports Lounge to drink my wine and watch football playoffs. First 2 cruises it was a quiet lounge chair outside the game room or library. I watch all 3 of are carry-ons, read and sip wine while wife and daughter explore ship and go to buffet lunch. It has become tradition.

On boarding, the last place I want to go is the crowded Lido deck for buffet or the crowded pool area with the pushy waiters. I let the relaxing begin right away!

What do you usually carry?

Are their size and quantity limitations for items in your carry on like at the airport?

is their a limit to the number of items?

Small roll on with water, meds, reading material, change of shoes, hip pouch, and cameras, plus change of clothes.

As long as you don't mind dragging it with you until your cabin is ready and it fits on the scanner, you can bring as much as you like.

I cruise with just a carry on. All of my clothes and everything. I've learned how to pack to max my space and have what I need for my cruise. I wear cocktail dresses to dinner. no formal wear. 3 pairs of shoes and one of them are usually on my feet at all times.

Wow...I'm gonna show your post to my wife! She wont believe this is possible! Actually, I'm almost as bad as her when it comes to overpacking...almost!:)

~Elation, NOLA, 9/22nd ~ CLOSE!~

:confused: Okaaaay - I have purchased a small rolling SOFT-sided cooler, which will fit thru a scanner, 12 x 9 x 15 (same "net" as 12x12x12), will fold *somewhat* ~and the Carnival person I just talked to said it MIGHT be allowed, since it's not a "hard sided" cooler - Anyone have exp with this type of a cooler ?

Also I asked him if I can take wine AND water on board in this - he says No - Only ONE or the OTHER - you can't take BOTH on board ~?!?~:confused:~

I had understood from some other people that you CAN take some water or soda, AND one bottle of vino per adult in cabin - we have two adults -

!!? WHAT ??!! Of course won't even TRY to put either in checked bag~ if I HAVE one ~

I just want to know for sure before I pack stuff FOR the trip, coming down the pipes PRETTTTY Soon ! ! YEAAA !!:D Thanks for anyone's input !!

Also I asked him if I can take wine AND water on board in this - he says No - Only ONE or the OTHER - you can't take BOTH on board ~?!?~:confused:~

I had understood from some other people that you CAN take some water or soda, AND one bottle of vino per adult in cabin - we have two adults -

!!? WHAT ??!! Of course won't even TRY to put either in checked bag~ if I HAVE one ~

I just want to know for sure before I pack stuff FOR the trip, coming down the pipes PRETTTTY Soon ! ! YEAAA !!:D Thanks for anyone's input !!

You are allowed to bring a 12 pack of 20oz sodas or water AND your bottle of wine. We typically bring a 12 pack of water, a 6 pack of diet coke, a 4 pack of energy drink and a bottle of wine for each of us.

Everything LOL

Us too.

The only times we check thru a bag is when DH decides to bring the office with him.:mad: He owns his own practice and somethings he cannot delegate.

If you decide to check thru also include a complete change of clothes in case your luggage goes on it's own vacation.

~Elation, NOLA, 9/22nd ~ CLOSE!~

:confused: Okaaaay - I have purchased a small rolling SOFT-sided cooler, which will fit thru a scanner, 12 x 9 x 15 (same "net" as 12x12x12), will fold *somewhat* ~and the Carnival person I just talked to said it MIGHT be allowed, since it's not a "hard sided" cooler - Anyone have exp with this type of a cooler ?

We pack ours in our carry on. We bring a total of 12 cans of soda, 6 small bottle waters, 2 big bottle waters (for beside the bed), Wine and 14 energy drinks. We dispurse them evenly (except the wine is usually with the hubby) among me and my hubby so we each have 6 sodas, 3, waters, 1 big water and 7 energy drinks. Last year my carry on got picked to be searched and they didn't say a thing to me about them. If they did they can take the sodas but they better not touch the energy drinks!!! LOL

;) Thanx for all the good replies on liquid "nourishments" we can take on; you all pretty much confirm my *original* notions of what can/can't take. Not a KLU as to what that feller I talked to on the 1-800 number was referring to!:eek:

:confused:Question on that cooler ~ it might go into a suitcase, but I'd MUCH rather use it as a carry-on ~ anyone else used one? Soft Side, will flatten to an extent, has extendable handle, like luggage, and wheels, and all SORTS of compartments on the outside ~ is NOT hard Plastic ! 12 x 9 x 15 size, same net size as 12x12x12 ~ will fit thru scanner easier then my rolling carry-on suitcase! the same "expert" on phone call said it MIGHT go thru, since it's not HARDside, and is small enough for scanner ~~

What's the general consensus on THAT ? THANKS so MUCH !

reading and getting a good laugh,

a lot of you bring a swim suit then you say i carry about what i would carry when i get on a airplane.

how do a swim suit help on a plane ?

and noticed alot of meds out there ??

Usually carry on all our documents, valuables/electronics, meds and our wine.

There is no limit to the number of carry ons you can bring, the only size limitations are that it must fit thru the X-ray machine or be checked.

Just remember that anything you bring on, you have to carry around until your rooms are ready - generally around 1:30pm

Same and in addition we bring a change of clothes just in case our luggage is delayed.

What is the size allowed of carr on? All I found on carnival site was checked luggage size.

Is it 11x17?

Any size that fits through security screeners and that you feel comfortable dragging around the ship. I've seen backpacks up to suitcases on wheels. I take a small suitcase on wheels with a large purse. I put my hip pouch in the bag and transfer stuff into it when I get into the cabin.

;) Thanx for all the good replies on liquid "nourishments" we can take on; you all pretty much confirm my *original* notions of what can/can't take. Not a KLU as to what that feller I talked to on the 1-800 number was referring to!:eek:

:confused:Question on that cooler ~ it might go into a suitcase, but I'd MUCH rather use it as a carry-on ~ anyone else used one? Soft Side, will flatten to an extent, has extendable handle, like luggage, and wheels, and all SORTS of compartments on the outside ~ is NOT hard Plastic ! 12 x 9 x 15 size, same net size as 12x12x12 ~ will fit thru scanner easier then my rolling carry-on suitcase! the same "expert" on phone call said it MIGHT go thru, since it's not HARDside, and is small enough for scanner ~~

What's the general consensus on THAT ? THANKS so MUCH !

My best advice is to have a back up plan for if they deny your cooler, if you are going to have stuff packed in it and it's denied you will not only need to repack everything in another bag, but you'll either have to trash it or be able to take it back to your car.

It's really hard to say what is going to happen. So much depends on the mood of the screener, how difficult the day has been up to that point, how much cr*p the other passengers have put the screeners through........

Good luck

As for what I bring in my carry on it's all the important stuff that I can't replace on the ship, plus a complete change of cloths and about a dozen protien bars.....these really saved my bacon when we were 6 hours late being able to board due to fog once, and one time the ship was delayed being cleared to debark passengers at the end and once they put breakfast away around 9:30 there was NOTHING to eat and we didn't get off the ship until after 1pm.

meds, makeup, jewellery, styling gel and mousse, blowdryer, hairbrushes, facial cleanser and moisturizer, a pair or two of underwear and socks just in case, toothbrush/toothpaste, antiperspirant, paperback novel. All this fits with room to spare in a 12" duffle. Sometimes I'll use a bigger duffle and cram my own pillow in.

I also carry a small purse containing passport, money, credit card, mag strip card for the safe (usually my library card), glasses, flashlight, cellphone.

Clothes fit in a 20" roller. I'm sailing from my homeport in a few months, and might take more stuff. Maybe the 24" roller with my pillow inside. We'll see.

I am able to get my pillow into a very large spacebag and squish into a rolling backpack/airport size suitcase. I personally use a Vera Bradley carry all and it really does! I have read all the items and most are the same -just be sure with electronics to include the chargers too -hard to find a camera charger that matches your own on board if luggage is lost.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my little roll on cooler 12 c 9 x 15 made it onboard JUST FINE ! We did not have a hitch with *that* ~ my only problem was that I took SOMEone's advice on the boards here, and attempted to SNEAK onboard, some "clear liquid refreshment" in a Water bottle ~ ha ha ha ~ what was I thinking!? Dude checking liquids took ALL my water bottles & SHOOK them ~ Got me! That One "special water" BUBBLED when he shook it ~ and TOOK it ! nothing else said - As for Size of Wine bottle? We saw one guy hand carrying his MORE than 750 Ml bottle of Sutter Home - nobody said a peep to him ! Well - first cruise behind me and a bit wiser on what TO carry on ~or NOT!

I have my prescription meds, jewelry, jacket or sweatshirt cuz I usually get cold on the plane, a couple of days worth of clothes, pajamas, small bottels of overnight essentials in case my luggage gets lost, laptop and/or ipad, camera. I have everything I need for a couple of days. The airlines have lost our luggage numerous times so I carry everything I need for at least 2 days.

Also, on checked bags, we pack half of DHs stuff and half of my stuff in each suitcase instead of "mine" and "his". That way, if one suitcase is lost, we'll still both have clothes, instead of one of us has everything and one of us has nothing.

On my last cruise, two women table mates only traveled

with a single carry-on bag each for a 7 day cruise.

They flew the day before the cruise and did not want

to pay the airline checked baggage fees.

I can't imagine cramming everything into

a carry-on bag for a 7 day cruise.

Archived