Elderly Couple Disappear During Cruise

makeup face

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050516/D8A4IB7O0.html

May 16, 6:58 PM (ET)

By FRANK GRIFFITHS

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) - An elderly Vietnamese-American couple disappeared during a Caribbean cruise and they probably fell overboard, officials said Monday.

The 71-year-old man and 67-year-old woman aboard the Carnival Destiny ship disappeared sometime Thursday between the islands of Barbados and Aruba, U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Omar Barrera said.

"The only logical conclusion it that they somehow fell overboard," Barrera said.

Investigators found a few of the couple's belongings, including a purse and sandals, out in the open on the third floor of the ship, Barrera said. There were no signs that it was a case of suicide, because the couple was reportedly in good health and did not appear to have any serious personal problems, he said, citing interviews with relatives.

Two Coast Guard planes conducted an unsuccessful search for the missing couple and the Coast Guard asked passing ships to be on the lookout.

The ship canceled its visit to Aruba in order to join the search and later went to St. Maarten instead, the company said. The cruise ended on schedule in San Juan on Sunday.

Carnival Cruise Lines spokesman Vance Gulliksen confirmed the couple's disappearance, but could not provide further details. Authorities did not identify the couple or say where they lived.

then again, you could have taken 30 seconds and found out that there already was a thread on the front page...and I clicked on it assuming that this was something new because most posters would check to ensure that they were not duplicating what has already been said......'nuf said!

makeup face.. Chrysalis is correct.

From the Cruise Critic Guidelines..

"Please Browse BEFORE You Post Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. This is your #1 best resource! And please post your messages in an appropriate folder so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to return misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics."

This post has been posted by someone else and it is off topic. No assumptions have been made..

I barely have time to read posts about my current cruise, let alone browse to notice an earlier post on another topice. I go to the boards first, I never look at the first page. What is the problem if such a tragedy is posted twice or not. CC members are getting picky, aren't we.

Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else.

Yes, I have read every post, every thread, every board and search to make sure the topic had not been discussed before.

In fact this very post was also posted 8 Jan 2004 at 1500.

I barely have time to read posts about my current cruise, let alone browse to notice an earlier post on another topice. I go to the boards first, I never look at the first page. What is the problem if such a tragedy is posted twice or not. CC members are getting picky, aren't we.

It's not just this board. Dare to double post anything anywhere and the people who spend just a little too much time ont he boards always go into a hissy fit.

There used to be a "locked" post at the very top of the Princess thread that stated something to the effect of:

Let the monitors do their jobs. If you see a post that is off topic or not allowed, etc, then let the monitors take care of it... Unless you are a monitor, it simply is not your job to point these things out. The post also said something about if you simply can't help yourself, send an email to one of the moderators.

Come on people, who cares if something is posted twice??? Is it really that big of a deal?

Back to the original topic...

That story is terribly sad... I read somewhere else that the couple's adult children were also onboard!

I think everyone needs to take a deep breath. It's not a huge deal if it got posted twice, clearly it was a mistake. I have done it myself too, not seeing another post, and luckily the other Princess posters were adult enough to kindly tell me there was a post elsewhere for it and not to yell at me. Maybe it was annoying to see it on there twice, but how do you know that when she (he perhaps? I'm sorry...) accessed the page it was on the first page? You don't know that, and do you think they're going to search through dozens of pages? It was an honest mistake. I can't believe that you are so rude as to say those things to them in that manner. But next time...why can't we all just blow it off? This is a stupid website, in the grand scheme of things, what does one little extra post matter?

Thank you for the post to inform me, I hadn't seen it yet, and this was the one on the top post for me. God Bless!

Every message board on the web has that... doesn't mean anyone does it or should do it. If you have enough time to browse pages of web speak to see if something has already been posted I pity that person as they have no life.

Geeezzz.. Both posts were on page one.. How hard was that.?? :rolleyes:

Archived