Slightly dif ?-If using Oceania's hotel package so not paying deviation, do we have

true45

any control at all of the flights (we are doing Rome to Venice) and spending 2 nights extra at each end. We were told by Oceania and TA no deviation fee is necessary with their hotel package.

Thanks for all the answers -- I lurk often and have learned lots.

Linda

any control at all of the flights (we are doing Rome to Venice) and spending 2 nights extra at each end. We were told by Oceania and TA no deviation fee is necessary with their hotel package.

Thanks for all the answers -- I lurk often and have learned lots.

Linda

The official position is that using the Oceania hotel package does not give you control over the flights, however, in the real World, if you give the Air Dept your suggested route ahead of time, they will usually accommodate your request.

If there is a difference in cost between what they had planned for your travel cost, and the cost of the route that you prefer, you may be asked to pay that difference.

Thanks Jim & Stan -- will do.

Is the best time when I have my credit card in hand for final payment (and info about flights at same time)?

We are beyond excited to sail on Riviera and 1st time to Europe. Love all the pics.

Linda

Thanks Jim & Stan -- will do.

Is the best time when I have my credit card in hand for final payment (and info about flights at same time)?

We are beyond excited to sail on Riviera and 1st time to Europe. Love all the pics.

Linda

The best time is anytime from 270 days out do not wait until final payment

Yes have that CC ready just incase ;)

i am thinking you may be charged the deviation fee for selecting specific flights but I could be wrong

We request a specific carrier & were charged the fee as well as a small upcharge when we did the hotel package through O many yrs ago

Lyn

Just a thought - if you have to pay a deviation fee for your preferred flights, why not book your own hotels and save tons of money (even in those hotels where O would place you with the package).

These packages are notoriously overpriced (you pay per person, not per room) and some hotels (like in Rome) are far from ideal in their location.

Do some research and you will likely save a lot of money.

Enjoy the Riviera!

Just a thought - if you have to pay a deviation fee for your preferred flights, why not book your own hotels and save tons of money (even in those hotels where O would place you with the package).

These packages are notoriously overpriced (you pay per person, not per room) and some hotels (like in Rome) are far from ideal in their location.

Do some research and you will likely save a lot of money.

Enjoy the Riviera!

Paul, I have learned through the years, that there are many people that dont want to book their own hotels and arent interested in saving the money..and are not comfortable making their own plane reservations..,getting their luggage alone and taking a taxi..I am sure you have met people like that..thats why all of the cruise lines offer the nice hotels and transfers for people who like to be completely taken care of..as we always say..different strokes etc.

Jancruz1

Paul, I have learned through the years, that there are many people that dont want to book their own hotels and arent interested in saving the money..and are not comfortable making their own plane reservations..,getting their luggage alone and taking a taxi..I am sure you have met people like that..thats why all of the cruise lines offer the nice hotels and transfers for people who like to be completely taken care of..as we always say..different strokes etc.

Jancruz1

Jan,

Couldn't agree with you more about different strokes....

However, equally importantly, many people are not fully aware of all the options available to them.

This is OP's first post here on CC and judging by her question it is not unreasonable for me to assume that she may fall into this category.

Just trying to help her save some money :D

Jan,

Couldn't agree with you more about different strokes....

However, equally importantly, many people are not fully aware of all the options available to them.

This is OP's first post here on CC and judging by her question it is not unreasonable for me to assume that she may fall into this category.

I know everyone always appreciates your good advice and to be honest with you..I always forget to look and see how many posts people have made..Have a great holiday weekend,

Jancruz1

First post ..at 501 posts :confused:

Maybe you meant first time on Oceania forum

First post ..at 501 posts :confused:

Maybe you meant first time on Oceania forum

I wish I could use that as an excuse but it's just one of those senior moments (all too common lately) - I looked up and saw number 1 (as in first post in this thread) :D

I wish I could use that as an excuse but it's just one of those senior moments (all too common lately) - I looked up and saw number 1 (as in first post in this thread) :D

Ok understand ...age seems to catch up with all of us sooner or later :D:D

Lyn

I always forget to look and see how many posts people have made..Have a great holiday weekend,

Jancruz1

Thank you - you too, have a great holiday weekend.

It turns out it was my bad and it is not her first post - but perhaps she will benefit from this anyway (or maybe not :)).

Hi, as you can probably tell by my signature, I have some cruise experience (none on Oceania) but no experience travelling in europe either land or cruise. Also, haven't travelled on a plane in many years so don't know the ins & outs.

This is our big cruise for 45 wedding anniversary and don't expect to be able to make repeat trips. We started looking at prices for hotels and priced transportation from airport to hotel & hotel to cruiseport in rome and also venice port to hotel & hotel to airport with porterage. We also looked at the air deviation fees which are not charged if using Oceania's package. So, if we did it ourselves, hotel + 2 legs transportation for each of 2 ports + air deviation fees 2X-- there wasn't much difference in price. We know which hotels Oceania is using and chose the ones we liked. We know even seasoned world travellers who have chosen the wrong hotels and been very disappointed. It means something to us to have a bit of peace of mind in all these arrangements. Our lives right now are a bit crazy (we take care of our 1-yr old granddaughter while her parents work and DH is a musician and teacher) and look forward to a "package".

I do thank you all for your input and advice -- I appreciate all suggestions.

Linda

Hi, as you can probably tell by my signature, I have some cruise experience (none on Oceania) but no experience travelling in europe either land or cruise. Also, haven't travelled on a plane in many years so don't know the ins & outs.

This is our big cruise for 45 wedding anniversary and don't expect to be able to make repeat trips. We started looking at prices for hotels and priced transportation from airport to hotel & hotel to cruiseport in rome and also venice port to hotel & hotel to airport with porterage. We also looked at the air deviation fees which are not charged if using Oceania's package. So, if we did it ourselves, hotel + 2 legs transportation for each of 2 ports + air deviation fees 2X-- there wasn't much difference in price. We know which hotels Oceania is using and chose the ones we liked. We know even seasoned world travellers who have chosen the wrong hotels and been very disappointed. It means something to us to have a bit of peace of mind in all these arrangements. Our lives right now are a bit crazy (we take care of our 1-yr old granddaughter while her parents work and DH is a musician and teacher) and look forward to a "package".

I do thank you all for your input and advice -- I appreciate all suggestions.

Linda

Thank you for confirming my post that some people PREFER to be taken care of and not "DIY" I know you will have a great time!!

Jancruz1

Archived