Question about on board credit . . .

Travelling2Some

We have friends who are due to sail in about a month. A group of us would like to give them an anniversary gift and I was thinking that an On Board Credit or Carnival Dollars might be a nice thing in view of their upcoming cruise. The amount would be about $300. I don't know their shipboard habits or what kind of a tab they usually run up on a cruise. Therefore, I want to make VERY sure that the $300 can be used for anything, including tips, when they settle their bill at the end of the cruise. Has anyone does this and can advise? Thanks in advance for info.

Funship Dollars are good for any onboard purchase, including tips. You can either give them to the couple directly or if you have their booking information, you can call Carnival and have your gift applied as onboard credit. They will put a notice in their cabin that you have gifted them the OBC.

This is just my opinion: I would give them the money in some form of cash, like travel checks or pre paid credit card. That way they can use it in ports or to pay off the cruise or however they want. You could package the gift in a fun way. Pack a box with some sand, seashells & toy ship along with the gift card or cash.

This might make it easier for them to spend & easier for you to give.

Hope they have a great cruise.

This is just my opinion: I would give them the money in some form of cash, like travel checks or pre paid credit card. That way they can use it in ports or to pay off the cruise or however they want. You could package the gift in a fun way. Pack a box with some sand, seashells & toy ship along with the gift card or cash.

I agree. There are too many unknowns for it to be OBC.

Once I had a $375 OBC for no particlar reason and had to spend it on board. I ended up in ther jewelry store and got a little bauble. I'd rather have had some tshirts or cute tops but they didn't have a good selection.

If you pay for OBC such as a gift or Es discounts. That OBC can be used for anything you need. Some OBC that is given as a comp must be used or lose.

Again if cash was paid for obc it good for anything. If you have extra OBC at the end of your cruise a check will be put under your door along with the final statement.

We give Fun ship dollars as gifts all the time.

Very good "save" that they might have already pre-paid the tips. I did feel a little bit "iffy" about giving them OBC but was thinking that if we just gave them cash or a pre-paid card it wouldn't feel like a real gift if they used it on something pedestrian like groceries. BUT, after thinking it over I'm going to take your suggestion and just give it to them in a fun way. A general gift card is much more flexible. Thanks for the answers. Aren't these boards great?

Grace

We have friends who are due to sail in about a month. A group of us would like to give them an anniversary gift and I was thinking that an On Board Credit or Carnival Dollars might be a nice thing in view of their upcoming cruise. The amount would be about $300. I don't know their shipboard habits or what kind of a tab they usually run up on a cruise. Therefore, I want to make VERY sure that the $300 can be used for anything, including tips, when they settle their bill at the end of the cruise. Has anyone does this and can advise? Thanks in advance for info.

All you need to do is call and have the Fun Ship Dollars added as on board credit.

You only need their names, sail date and ship. You do not need their booking number.

FSD can be used for anything on the ship from tips to a dinner at the steakhouse and everything in between. Any funds not used will be refunded to them at the end of the cruise.

Fun Ship Dollar representatives are available to answer your questions about our products, help you make a selection, and take your credit card order. You can reach our Special Programs and Promotions department by telephone; toll free, at 1-800-906-7603 during the following hours:

Monday - Saturday 8:00am - 8:30pm, Eastern Time

Phone orders are accepted up to one week prior to sailing. Visa, MasterCard, Discover® Network and American Express accepted.

Customer Service is closed Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day.

Just a note, if you buy them OBC for their cruise, they can go to guest services and take out cash for in port. We did that on one of our January cruises. We received OBC for xmas and for some reason we ran out of cash (mainly because I forgot the ATM card). We went to guest services to see what our options were and they were able to give us the OBC in cash we had on account. As long as it was paid for in cash/credit card/etc, you can get the money off the account in cash. Just something else to think about...

That's a fun idea. BTW, OP, can I be your friend??? :cool::D:p Very generous of you to think of them in this way.

Just a note, if you buy them OBC for their cruise, they can go to guest services and take out cash for in port. We did that on one of our January cruises. We received OBC for xmas and for some reason we ran out of cash (mainly because I forgot the ATM card). We went to guest services to see what our options were and they were able to give us the OBC in cash we had on account. As long as it was paid for in cash/credit card/etc, you can get the money off the account in cash. Just something else to think about...

Thank you for posting this, I didn't realize you could do that.

Archived