Bloody Caesars

jocelysue

I like Bloody Marys - I like Clamato - is that the only difference in the Bloody Ceasar?

basically.

All sorts of riffs on the Bloody Mary. This is one of them. The riff being the Clamato instead of plain tomato juice or bloody mary mix,

I wonder if the kitchen would have clam juice. Maybe they would use it in some seafood dishes/soups.

They don't sell Irn Bru ( scottish soda) so taking a few bottles with me :D only way to drink vodka. Also a good cure for a hangover:D :eek:

So are Bloody Caesars :p

Jocelysue...before I even opened this thread, I knew you were Canadian :cool:

They don't sell Irn Bru ( scottish soda) so taking a few bottles with me :D only way to drink vodka. Also a good cure for a hangover:D :eek:

That's understandable though as only Scots seem to like this! Takes me back to the days of those WKD knockoffs some great hangovers from them!

Amazingly they sell IB here in my local supermarket in the ethnic aisle!!!!! However it is the old it's available so don't crave it scenario. (Only thing I crave is those Scottsh rolls the chewy ones that used to come in on those big trays at dark o'clock yum).

Back to clamato juice.....yuck!

Actually, the rim on a Bloody Caesar is usually thicker with celery salt than is a Bloody Mary. Plus, a slight dash of lime juice is added instead of lemon and a slice of lime instead of a lemon slice. Always both Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce. Of course a celery branch plus a sprinkling of hot ground blackpepper.

Difference can seem to be quite subtle and, for non-afficianados,totally insignificant BUT ,for connoisseurs, NO COMPARISON whatsoever. Statistically, Bloody Caesar is Canda's most popular bar drink and, at the same time, one of Canada's but best kept secrets. I'm not about to make a commericial, but "Mott's" is the clamato juice of choice.In addition to tomato juice, it contains dried clam broth which cannot apparently be identified (even by non-fish or non-seafood eaters ) but which carries an absolutlely wonderful "je ne sais quoi" kick which creates a really happening drive.

HTH. For me, I won'y buy a "Bloody Mary" in a bar;just ordinary tomato juise plus vodka; I will spring for a "Bloody Caesar" though. Anyhow, try one at home. Let me know your conclusions: momgirardatgmaildotcom.

Cheers.

They can make you any drink your little heart could ask for and then some......:p

Haven't been on a ship yet that could make a Bloody Caesar. Clamato juice is the secret. This is a Canadian favorite cocktail.:D

@OP

You could bring some single serve cans and teach a bartender.

I've never seen Clamato on any RCL ship, and most of the bar staff never heard of it.

Correct!

Wrong......clamato is available on ALL RCI ships and most of the bartenders know how to make a Caesar. Like land bars some are better than others but if the ship has a Boleros on board those will be some of your best caesar making bartenders. :)

The Clamato on the ships is small individual cans of it and if one bar doesn't have it just request it and they will stock it for you. Generally they all do but when they do stores the pool bar, sky bar, boleros, English pub and Schooner bar are generally the ones that have the most stock of it. The pool bar always has lots. Generally most of the Canadians, Mexicans and crew members are the Clamato hogs. If you like the Caesars get your bartender to hide some cans and let them know when they do stores to stock up and they will.

One thing that I do is bring a few bottles of Caesar rimmer and leave them at my bars that I like my Caesars from. They are more than happy to use it to Caesar rimmer to salt the rim as it makes a difference in the way a proper Caesar is made. Also if you find a bartender that just cannot make it right then just tell them to put in the vodka and the clamato and hand you the worcestershire, and tobasco, lime, a bit of salt and pepper and you can put in the right amounts. A very good bartender will even drum you up some horseradish to keep behind the bar for the added "extra" for your caesar. :D

I would bring the clamato juice on board. The small cans would be easiest, and make get by the beverage police. Vodka in rum runners for sure!

There is no comparison to bloody Mary's (they are just nasty and horrible) to nectar of the gods bloody Caesar!

Nothing beats a perfectly rimmed glass with the right combo of vodka, mott's caesar mix, Worcester sauce, hot sauce and a celery stick. Ahhhh a meal in a glass!

I never knew this drink had a special name, I always thought it was a Bloody Mary with Clamato. My SIL introduced me to these. I guess if it's a Canadien thing I should be surprised, they have a vacation house in Canada (& live just over the border in grand Island NY)

I went to Publix to pick up a bottle of Clamato to take on with me just in case they didn't stock it on board... The US version of it was much thinner (ie pinkish red water) than what we get up here in Canada even after shaking it up to get the 'sludge' off the bottom of the bottle.... Had to make due with Bloody Mary's on board :(

Probably a good thing.... Caesars go down wayyyy too easy ;)

Sent from my Speak & Spell using Tapatalk

OK I'm game to try one. I LOVE a good Bloody Mary and that is not vodka and tomato juice. It's voddy, tom juice, worcestershire, tabasco, pepper and perhaps salt on the rim. BUt I like clams so I'd try a Bloody Caesar.

How about a Michelada?? aka Bloody Beer.

Recipe

This recipe serves 4

lime wedges, for garnish

celery salt or plain salt, for garnish

1 6oz can tomato juice

2 limes, juiced (about 1/3 cup juice)

1/4 teaspoon celery salt

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 -1/2 teaspoon Tabasco or preferred hot sauce

2 12oz bottles or cans of beer (Modelo is ideal)

several handfuls of ice cubes

Prepare the glasses: rub the rims of four tall glasses with the lime wedges then coat the rims with either celery or plain salt.

In a bowl or measuring cup, combine the tomato juice, lime juice, celery salt, Worcestershire and Tabasco (or desired hot sauce) and mix well. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Add a handful of ice to each of the prepared glasses, then divide the tomato juice mixture between them (each should have approximately 4 tbsp/60ml of juice). Top up the glasses with half a bottle of beer each, then garnish with a lime wedge.

• 5 months later...
OK I'm game to try one. I LOVE a good Bloody Mary and that is not vodka and tomato juice. It's voddy, tom juice, worcestershire, tabasco, pepper and perhaps salt on the rim. BUt I like clams so I'd try a Bloody Caesar.

How about a Michelada?? aka Bloody Beer.

Recipe

This recipe serves 4

lime wedges, for garnish

celery salt or plain salt, for garnish

1 6oz can tomato juice

2 limes, juiced (about 1/3 cup juice)

1/4 teaspoon celery salt

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/4 -1/2 teaspoon Tabasco or preferred hot sauce

2 12oz bottles or cans of beer (Modelo is ideal)

several handfuls of ice cubes

Prepare the glasses: rub the rims of four tall glasses with the lime wedges then coat the rims with either celery or plain salt.

In a bowl or measuring cup, combine the tomato juice, lime juice, celery salt, Worcestershire and Tabasco (or desired hot sauce) and mix well. Adjust seasoning to taste.

Add a handful of ice to each of the prepared glasses, then divide the tomato juice mixture between them (each should have approximately 4 tbsp/60ml of juice). Top up the glasses with half a bottle of beer each, then garnish with a lime wedge.

I'm a big fan of cheladas (aka Micheladas) too. Anyone else? I am not too optimistic about the onboard bars being able to make me one. :(

I've never seen Clamato on any RCL ship, and most of the bar staff never heard of it.

Correct!

Interesting. Every single Royal Caribbean ship I have been on (and I've been on quite a few of them) has had Clamato and served Bloody Caesars. They don't always stock a ton of it though; I've actually been on a ship or two that ran out, so for a while I always brought a few cans just in case. Still smile when I think of the pool bartender on Enchantment, I think it was, who said he was out of Clamato. I said ok, went to my cabin to get a can, came back and set it on the bar. He asked where I got it and I told him I brought a few emergency cans onboard with me. He got a good laugh at that.

Actually, the rim on a Bloody Caesar is usually thicker with celery salt than is a Bloody Mary. Plus, a slight dash of lime juice is added instead of lemon and a slice of lime instead of a lemon slice. Always both Worcestershire and Tabasco sauce. Of course a celery branch plus a sprinkling of hot ground blackpepper.

HTH. For me, I won'y buy a "Bloody Mary" in a bar;just ordinary tomato juise plus vodka; I will spring for a "Bloody Caesar" though. Anyhow, try one at home. Let me know your conclusions: momgirardatgmaildotcom.

I take it you are Canadian, so I will leave the details of a "correct" Bloody Caesar to you, although I would guess that the "correct" Caesar varies as much from person to person as does the "correct" Bloody Mary. Having said that, 1) You seem to be of the impression that Bloody Mary's are typically served with a lemon wedge, but more often than not it is actually a lime. I prefer lemon, and almost always have to ask specifically for a lemon, as most bartenders automatically add a lime wedge. Also, while Bloody Mary's may have originally been made with ordinary tomato juice, most bars now make them with Bloody Mary mix, and these mixes can vary quite a bit from one brand to another.

Cheers! :)

A very good bartender will even drum you up some horseradish to keep behind the bar for the added "extra" for your caesar. :D

I bring my own jar of horseradish! :D

I used to ask the bartenders, but inevitably they would have to go all the way to the kitchen and it took a while; meanwhile other pax were left waiting for them to return, so now I just bring my own jar and leave it in the fridge in the room. I like to start the day onboard with a Bloody Caesar, so I scoop a spoonful of horseradish into my Tervis tumbler, then take my tumbler to the pool bar and ask the bartender to add the vodka and Clamato to the tumbler with horseradish, squeeze a lemon into it, and give me the worcestershire and pepper (no tabasco for me.) :)

Archived