How noisey are the engines?

hopefrog

The quietness is one of the first things that I noticed when we were on our first cruise this summer. I did expect some low background noise from the engines, but if it was there, it was at a very low level (and this was on a 20-year old ship, which is likely noisier than newer ships).

As a matter of fact, I'd say that the background noise of the engines seemed quietier than the background noise of an average house at night.

Cruise ships are generally powered by multiple engines which drive generators to make electricity to drive motors that are connected to the props. Because the engines are very heavy they are located amid ships on the lowest deck. The electric motors that drive the props are either located further aft on the same deck of below the ship in Azipods (which are located towards the aft end). So the cabins located on lower decks amidships are the most likely to hear any engine noise (rare these days) and feel any vibration from those engines. The cabins aft are the most likely to experience vibration which is usually caused by cavitation of the props. The quietest cabins are often located towards the bow....but many don;t like these cabins because they experience the most motion in rough seas. So take your choice :)

We actually love cabins towards the bow because it is much quieter. On ships where we can feel the thrusters this is normally a good thing since it only wakes us when the ship is docking (time to get up) or lets us know when the ship is leaving. As to the motion, DW and I love the feel of a moving ship and when its rough the motion simply rocks us asleep :)

Hank

You might, as has been said, feel some vibration on a lower deck aft, but you are unlikely to hear the engines themselves. They are generally separated from guest cabin decks by at least one deck, if not more. If you are closer to the bow or stern, you will feel the thrusters when going in and out of port, and (particularly forward) you will hear the windlasses used for the anchors or dock lines.

The diesel engines are extremely loud. Ear protection is mandatory for anyone in either of the engine rooms. :rolleyes: :)

But only the excellent people who keep them running really hear them.... you won't hear the diesels at all. You may feel slight vibration from the propellers (or azipods), and when mooring and unmooring you may feel momentary vibration from the bow (and stern) thrusters.

The only two times I've really noticed vibration on Arcadia (an azipod ship) were -

1) When there was a problem with the azipods, quickly fixed by the engineers, and

2) When Arcadia was doing a speed trial to determine maximum speed, maximum power/RPM to the pods (limits 17.6MW / 146rpm), and she achieved a constant 24.5 knots. Pretty fast for a cruise ship, but she was then drinking fuel faster than the passengers were drinking beer and wine.

Personally I like to feel a ship move.... it's one of the best things about being at sea!

VP

Most times the 'noise' we hear are bands playing too loudly. :D

Sometimes I think I'd rather loud engines to horridly too loud music. :)

You should not be bothered with engine noises but an understandable question to ask. IMO

The diesel engines are extremely loud. Ear protection is mandatory for anyone in either of the engine rooms. :rolleyes: :)

VP

I was fortunate to be one of 12 that got to stand beside the engines on an Engine Room tour of the Ms Oosterdam. We wore no hearing protection and could carry on a conversation without shouting.

This is my only reference to ship noise. Now the propellers turning in the water can produce some noise but that just makes for a truly sound sleep.

As stated earlier, the thrusters used to move the ship while docking can be noisy but only for the few minutes that they are used.

You hear many things on a ship. However, you also feel the motion. You can feel the ship cut the waves. You can hear the bow break each wave. You can feel the pulse of the engines and props. You hear and feel the bow thrusters but that signals docking. It is time to get moving.

I like the motion as it reminds me I am on a ship. It often looks like a hotel or resort, but it is that and more. My 'hotel' is moving to a new place tomorrow and ever bow wave is closer to the next adventure.

Depending on your cabin and ship, you will hear and feel the ship. It is not only minor for me but part of the special effect of cruising. I hope you can enjoy what is special about it.

Archived