Please explain cruise time versus island time

madeth313

Our Carnival Legend cruise leaves out of Tampa, FL. Our schedule looks like this:

Cozumel 9am to 5pm

Belize 9 am to 5pm

Roatan 8am to 3pm

Grand Cayman 10am to 6pm

Are those times cruise ship times or island times? And when I am booking excusions (not associated with the cruise ship), and I am presented with times (i.e. in Cozumel, I can choose 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm), are those island times?

I am sure its a silly question. But I am hoping someone will answer it for me.

Ship time for you will always be Eastern.

The times you posted will be Eastern

Posted time in Coz 9AM Real time is Coz 8AM

Best advise,,, don't even concern yourself with local time. Always communicate in ship time. Set your watch by ship time. The local excursions understand and deal with the difference every day. That's their jobs. Back up plan,,, your watch set to ship time.

You may have to wait until you're on board because I've been on some Carnival ships where they changed the clocks to reflect the change in time zones and other times where they never changed the clock and the ship stayed on the same time for the whole cruise. They will tell you if they'll be changing clocks. It seems to vary because the decision is made by individual captains, and some like to change while others don't.

The ONLY time that will matter to you is SHIP'S TIME...they will tell you if the time is changed on the ship, so set your watch accordingly...do not use your cell phone to keep track of time...it will show local time which may not match SHIP'S TIME.

If you book an ship's excursion, it will be on ship's time. No worries. If you book a private excursion, you go by ship's time...the guides understand how this stuff works.

ships follow the time zones for the "local" area....i.e., daylight savings time or non-daylight savings time. They will always tell you in the daily news you get in cabin to either set your clock ahead or behind. To avoid confusion when in dock everything is in LOCAL time that way any clock you may see is the same as your ship which means you will get back to the ship on time unless you mess up.

ships follow the time zones for the "local" area....i.e., daylight savings time or non-daylight savings time. They will always tell you in the daily news you get in cabin to either set your clock ahead or behind. To avoid confusion when in dock everything is in LOCAL time that way any clock you may see is the same as your ship which means you will get back to the ship on time unless you mess up.

I am afraid to say that some ships (many Carnival ships) go with their own time and not the local time. Bottom line, go with what the ship tells you.

Keith

Our Carnival Legend cruise leaves out of Tampa, FL. Our schedule looks like this:

Cozumel 9am to 5pm

Belize 9 am to 5pm

Roatan 8am to 3pm

Grand Cayman 10am to 6pm

Are those times cruise ship times or island times? And when I am booking excusions (not associated with the cruise ship), and I am presented with times (i.e. in Cozumel, I can choose 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm), are those island times?

Not a silly question! After 7 cruises I didn't know that ship time is not always the same as land time! Maybe they do it only in the Caribbean? I'm getting ready for the first Caribbean cruise.

This is a point that vexes even seasoned cruisers. Each line allows the ship's captain to decide what they wish to set the ship's time at for each cruise. Some will decide to keep ship's time for the time zone of the port that the ship departs from, others will choose to reset ship's time during the cruise to reflect the majority of port's to be visited. Since it's a personal preference of the captain this decision is subject to change, so relying on the advice of past cruisers from the same itinerary is only a guide not a hard fact.

Your best bet is that if you wish to contract a tour outside of the ones offered by the cruiseline is to "talk" (either by phone or email) directly with the tour company concerning what times are best suited for your ship's arrival and departs times. Most reputable tour companies will have bookmarked the local port's website that should list when the ship is expected at dock (arrival and departure) at the local time. This will help them help you plan what tour times will be best suited to the time you will have in port. Make sure the tour company knows you need at least 1 hour to disembark the ship apon arrival, most cruises give priority disembarkation to passengers that book tours directly throught them. Also let them know that you need to be back at the cruise terminal/pier at least 1 hour prior to what is listed as cast off, most reputable tour companies will take these 2 facts into account anyway but it is a polite way to alert them if timing is your biggest concern. Additionally do not hide the fact you are arriving by cruise ship, the tour company may want to know that you need transportation from/to the dock to their location/start/end point, some may even give you "recommendations" on which taxi or bus service to use.

Make sure they give not only the local time the tour starts and ends, but what that is in relation to how long after/before the ship docks/sails away, ex. the tour starts at 9:30am local time 90 minutes after the ship is expected at dock and should return to the port area 3 hours later at 12:30pm local.

Before finalizing the deposit or payment, double and triple check what their cancellation/no show and late arrival policies. The policies concerning individuals that arrive by cruise ship may be differ from the policies they enforce on guests they book from local resorts and it's easy for the person taking the reservation to forget how the tourist is arriving. Many tour companies realize that the arrival of a cruise ship is dependent on many factors; weather, harbor master/tug scheduling, mechanical problems, etc.; that are completely out your control. Notify the tour company as soon as you know of any itinerary changes that will effect their tour. The money spent on a ship to shore call or cell charges is well worth it if there is later a dispute that you did not cancel within the refund period. In case things go awry once ashore have secondary plan ready, that your day is not wasted on looking for alternatives. Another handy thing to do is get a local map & dispatch phone #s for third party transportation from the local port authorities in case something goes wrong with the tour ((injury, transport breakdown, or if informed that the ship will depart earlier than orginally scheduled) that you can make arrangements to return on your own to the dock. The map will help you locate bus stops or assist you telling the private transport where to meet you.

Haven't read other replies but all port times are ship's time. The ship stays on the time of the embarkation port.

Well, if you'd read the other posts you would have come across many seasoned cruisers who have stated this is not always true. The Captain is the one the decides which to use - not the people on the island/port. That is why, over and over again, people have stated to note the time your SHIP is on and not use your cell phone for time or rely on clocks from the island. Those that don't heed this warning might very well be the ones left standing on the dock waving to the ship as it sails from port.

Haven't read other replies but all port times are ship's time. The ship stays on the time of the embarkation port.

the Royal ships I have taken changed time to reflect the islands time.

(time of year will prevail with this)

I remember one cruise -- we were on a private excursion and there was three different times represented from people there.

do NOT ask anyone what time it is-- refer to your own watch. Do NOT use cell phones either

Well, if you'd read the other posts you would have come across many seasoned cruisers who have stated this is not always true. The Captain is the one the decides which to use - not the people on the island/port. That is why, over and over again, people have stated to note the time your SHIP is on and not use your cell phone for time or rely on clocks from the island. Those that don't heed this warning might very well be the ones left standing on the dock waving to the ship as it sails from port.

Sounds a little snarky. I should have stated: When we went on the Oasis in August, I set my watch to ship's time and never had to change it. On at least one island the island time was different from the ship time. We sailed in the eastern Caribbean so maybe it depends where you go. I really wasn't referring to European sailings.

Sounds a little snarky. I should have stated: When we went on the Oasis in August, I set my watch to ship's time and never had to change it. On at least one island the island time was different from the ship time. We sailed in the eastern Caribbean so maybe it depends where you go. I really wasn't referring to European sailings.

Neither was I referring to European sailings. I was referring to ports in general. I didn't mean to sound "snarky" but people that come on these boards and make a blanket statement annoy me. All ships, all ports and all cruiselines are different. When you give a policy that may be true on ALL the ships of a particular cruiseline, that's fine. Just say "on ABC line" this always happens. Nor did you read the many other comments from other cruisers disagreeing with you before making your blanket comment.

You stated "Haven't read other replies but all port times are ship's time. The ship stays on the time of the embarkation port."

First time cruisers are trying to learn and trust. You have now disagreed with your own statement by saying "at least one island the time was different".

I would hate for someone to believe your blanket statement and not double check and be left standing on the dock after their ship left.

Let me try again. When I said "all port times" I was referring to the times they give in the daily paper for arriving and departing ports. I was not referring to the time in the port. I also was trying to make it clear that not all ships change time to reflect the port local time. When we went on the Oasis, I never had to change my watch from ship's time because ship's time did not change, even though on at least one of the ports the ship's time was not the same as island time. I guess everyone should be careful about generalizations.

Let me try again. When I said "all port times" I was referring to the times they give in the daily paper for arriving and departing ports. I was not referring to the time in the port. I also was trying to make it clear that not all ships change time to reflect the port local time. When we went on the Oasis, I never had to change my watch from ship's time because ship's time did not change, even though on at least one of the ports the ship's time was not the same as island time. I guess everyone should be careful about generalizations.

Most of the summer sailings are easy. But when US used daylyight savings time come from Nov through March- that is when its tricky. Most islands do not observe the daylight savings time and that is when island time is different based on ship time.

You are correct that you stay on ship time-- but when people are booking using private vendors they need to find out if the vendor is giving them ship time vs island time-- and more then likely its island time-- will that excursion be back on time using ship time? People MUST be careful of this

Cozumel 9am to 5pm

Belize 9 am to 5pm

Roatan 8am to 3pm

Grand Cayman 10am to 6pm

Because of the range of time zones--- I bet Legend changes times. BUT ALWays SET YOUR CLOCK/ WATCHES TO THE SHIPS TIME

cozumel is 1 hour behind eastern time sept.

Belieze is 2 hours behind eastern time

ROATAN IS 2 hours behind eastern time

grand cayman is 1 hour behind eastern time

the times posted for your ports is based on the ships time-- be in changes times or not. you MUST BE ONBOARD 30 minutes from the posted time

roatan be onboard before 2:30pm)

and although grand cayman time says 6pm-- check your funtimes to see what time the last tender leaves-- it might be 4pm

Archived