what's the truth about jealousie beach

bostonfred

It seems to me there are three options to visiting this beach -

1: Go with a tour such as Spencer's and get herded into a small, crowded rocky area of the beach.

2: Take the hotel's own boat from the cruise port and back again. They charge $50 and you get an armband which allows you to sit on the hotel's loungers and use their toilets but not the swimming pool. You also get a $25 credit to use at the beach bar/restaurant.

3. Take a day room at the hotel, look down at the beach but use the pool and have all the amenities of a proper hotel room.

For me, it's a no-brainer. But I'd welcome other people's ideas as I'm going in a month's time and I'm considering option 4: stay on the ship!

We have not made up our mind about St Lucia yet either, but my son tells us not to miss the pitons and Jalousie. (Not considering option 4 :) )

Can you provide more information about Option # 2? It sounds appealing. Is there a link?

Also, even if you go with Spencer, you are not restricted to that section of the beach, but would need to rent the resort loungers if you want to sit there.

Sippican - No, there's no link to Option 2. I simply emailed the hotel asking about day rooms and they sent me the info about the $50 armband plan. Day rooms can't be booked in advance - only a day or two before which seems reasonable. I think it's worth checking what day you are in port and whether there will be other ships which might effect the number of people hitting that beach.

We have not made up our mind about St Lucia yet either, but my son tells us not to miss the pitons and Jalousie. (Not considering option 4 :) )

Can you provide more information about Option # 2? It sounds appealing. Is there a link?

Also, even if you go with Spencer, you are not restricted to that section of the beach, but would need to rent the resort loungers if you want to sit there.

we did Herod's Island Splendor Cruise - DH says it was his favorite excursion. Took a boat to the Pitons,Jalousie Beach, Marigot Bay, just to name a few - he says the minimum is 12, but on our roll call I could only get 9 to sign up-no problem. We didn't want to spend all day in a van riding around, so - - -

If you just want to do the beach, Spencer has a beach tour that also takes a boat there - I thnk it is called "Beach Break"

Sippican - No, there's no link to Option 2. I simply emailed the hotel asking about day rooms and they sent me the info about the $50 armband plan. Day rooms can't be booked in advance - only a day or two before which seems reasonable. I think it's worth checking what day you are in port and whether there will be other ships which might effect the number of people hitting that beach.

Did your email specificall mention that the $50 "day pass" specifically included the r/t boat trip? That would be absolutely incredible if that were the case. In the past, the $50 "day pass" has only included the loungers, and $25 food voucher, with no use of the pool, etc. nothing about providing transportation to the resort. If this is the case, I imagine they would be completely over run with visitors. Also, their boat has always been reserved for use by guests of the hotel for snorkeling and diving trips and sunset sails. I can't imagine them tying it up for cruise/day pass visitors. Please clarify. Thanks in advance!!

You are most definitely not at all confined or herded into a small area of the beach and only allowed there, regardless of which tour or visiting option you take. All beaches in St. Lucia are public - along the entire stretch. The hotel provides chairs in one area free of charge - and day visitors are welcome to use them on a first come, first use basis. You can also simly put your towel down anywhere you want along the beach with the exception of actual hotel facilities - under hotel umbrellas or hotel structures and so on. You can use the beachside bar and restaurant to get snacks or drinks, and you can rent the more comfy chairs for around $20US.

Good luck with whichever route you choose. Enjoy!

If you just want to do the beach, Spencer has a beach tour that also takes a boat there - I thnk it is called "Beach Break"

Yes, (see post #22) we are looking for other alternatives (if indeed any exist, and are not interested in a land tour.) But I appreciate your suggestion.

Did your email specificall mention that the $50 "day pass" specifically included the r/t boat trip? That would be absolutely incredible if that were the case. In the past, the $50 "day pass" has only included the loungers, and $25 food voucher, with no use of the pool, etc. nothing about providing transportation to the resort. If this is the case, I imagine they would be completely over run with visitors. Also, their boat has always been reserved for use by guests of the hotel for snorkeling and diving trips and sunset sails. I can't imagine them tying it up for cruise/day pass visitors. Please clarify. Thanks in advance!!

You are most definitely not at all confined or herded into a small area of the beach and only allowed there, regardless of which tour or visiting option you take. All beaches in St. Lucia are public - along the entire stretch. The hotel provides chairs in one area free of charge - and day visitors are welcome to use them on a first come, first use basis. You can also simly put your towel down anywhere you want along the beach with the exception of actual hotel facilities - under hotel umbrellas or hotel structures and so on. You can use the beachside bar and restaurant to get snacks or drinks, and you can rent the more comfy chairs for around $20US.

Good luck with whichever route you choose. Enjoy!

I, too, think there may have been a miscommunication. The information I have read about the day pass mentions it includes a "beach shuttle". I believe that may be the golf cart type transportation from the gate down to the beach area.

If they do pick up from the dock- wow!

Edited by sippican

Did your email specificall mention that the $50 "day pass" specifically included the r/t boat trip? That would be absolutely incredible if that were the case.

I emailed the hotel back to clarify, asking if the boat from Castries ran to a schedule and if the cost was included in the $50. This is exactly what they said:

"The water taxi service is ran daily at day break till sunset, however, the charges are included in the US$50 charge for the day pass."

From that I assumed the boat trip was included in the price . . .

My current plan is to email them a day or two before we arrive and book a day room and use the pool - we're not especially interested in using the beach, which is far too developed for our taste, but we do want to admire the scenery.

I emailed the hotel back to clarify, asking if the boat from Castries ran to a schedule and if the cost was included in the $50. This is exactly what they said:

"The water taxi service is ran daily at day break till sunset, however, the charges are included in the US$50 charge for the day pass."

My current plan is to email them a day or two before we arrive and book a day room and use the pool - we're not especially interested in using the beach, which is far too developed for our taste, but we do want to admire the scenery.

Thanks for the clarification. That is indeed a great deal!

Now I'll be curious to see how much they will charge for the room, if available, since their posted rates are on the high side, but they look incredibly lovely.

We do want to use the beach since we love to snorkel. My son says there are a decent amount of fish there (depending on the conditions of course).

Please come back and give us an update after your cruise.

We had a wonderful trip, we went with Spencer Ambrose. Actually we had his brother Smalls as our driver. He was very knowledgeable and made sure at all points we were happy and getting what we thought the tour should be. We then took a boat with Spencer to Jeaulousie beach (sp). As other said it was very crowded and rocky but the water was beautiful. We did not snorkle but heard it was great. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone....

Fletcher, I would try to get more specific info from the hotel on that water taxi; personally I would be worried it's only the main water taxi from Soufriere to Jalousie beach, which is a short ride... not a water taxi from the cruise port in Castries to the beach, which would be a lengthy boat ride along the coast..? Just a thought.

For others considering the beach - we returned from a cruise last week, we did Spencer's land and sea tour, and loved it. St. Lucia is a beautiful island and the people were very friendly. We had 2 hrs at the beach, and arrived early enough that getting loungers in the free area was not an issue. It was made clear to us that we could go wherever we wanted on the beach, but only the loungers by the snorkel area were free. The beach was pretty, I loved being near the Pitons and my husband snorkeled almost the entire time and loved it - he saw a lot of fish etc. We were provided lunch and water, soft drinks, beer or rum punch (which was killer). First leg was by van, then boat from Soufriere to the beach, then returning to Castries by speed boat, and it was at least an hour (??), maybe more (???) but we stopped a few times to see stuff along the way.

Whatever everyone ends up doing, I would suggest seeing a bit of the island - but the Pitons were on my "must see" list and did not disappoint. Anyway, that was just our experience, hope it helps! Happy cruising :)

Fletcher I do believe this is still a mistake.... to avoid disappoinment you should clarify this again with the resort.

I believe it should have been written

The water taxi service is ran daily at day break till sunset, ~however~, the charges are NOT included in the US$50 charge for the day pass.

Edited by Flowers2

Flowers2 and others - my contact at the Sugar Beach/Jalousie Hotel has now confirmed there was an error in the earlier email - the $50 armband plan does NOT include transport to the hotel from Castries. Transport to the hotel, she says, is by public water taxi at a rate to be mutually agreed by passenger and driver. The $50 still seems like a good deal as that includes $25 credit at the beach restaurant and use of the hotel's sun loungers but not the swimming pool. Sorry if I have misled anyone . . .

Flowers2 and others - my contact at the Sugar Beach/Jalousie Hotel has now confirmed there was an error in the earlier email - the $50 armband plan does NOT include transport to the hotel from Castries. Transport to the hotel, she says, is by public water taxi at a rate to be mutually agreed by passenger and driver. The $50 still seems like a good deal as that includes $25 credit at the beach restaurant and use of the hotel's sun loungers but not the swimming pool. Sorry if I have misled anyone . . .

Anyone have an idea of what the cost might be for a water taxi? I'd be concerned about return transportation to Castries.

Fletcher, Thanks for the clarification. I'll be very interested to hear an update if you decide to try the day pass.

Anyone have an idea of what the cost might be for a water taxi? I'd be concerned about return transportation to Castries.

Fletcher, Thanks for the clarification. I'll be very interested to hear an update if you decide to try the day pass.

good thing you triple checked - that most definitely would have been an impossible deal - to good to be true.

A water taxi from the port of Castries is about a 45 minute ride and will cost easily around $250US r/t - hence finding the Sugar Beach day pass deal way too good to be true. Water taxis are usually more expensive than land taxi and it is $90US one way from Castries to Soufriere/Sugar Beach Resort in a land taxi. Also - you would need to make arrangements ahead of time for a water taxi - they are not sitting around the port hoping for a trip down south, as most people take an organized tour. You can find water taxi info/contacts at UpToDateStLucia dot com and do a search for water taxi. Most are only phone numbers though- they are not a regularized business group as yet!

I bet that Spencer Ambrose Beach break is looking better already!

Good luck to you!!

PS, as an aside, the resort was recently re-branded - it is no longer Jalouise Resort; it is now Sugar Beach, a Viceroy Resort.

:D I have read that is the beach is crowded.rocky with murky water and dominated by the private hotel,on the other hand,I have read it is spectacular with great snorkling and ample space.

The biggest appeal of Jalousie Beach is the view: anything else is an added bonus. Depending on the weather, the snorkeling there can vary from average to pretty darn good. It would have been even better if they hadn't imported a ton of fine white sand for the hotel guests which can limit visibility either a little or quite a bit.

It's definitely not the best on the island. If snorkeling is your highest priority take a boat snorkeling trip where they will try to find the best spot on that particular day.

Dennis

How much is the Spencer Ambrose Tour to Jalouise Beach? What does it include.

Spencer Ambrose's Jalousie Beach Break costs $85 and includes boat transportation to Jalousie Beach, lunch, beverages and a coastal tour. You can check out the tour description on Spencer's website for more information.

http://spencerambrose.com/island-tours/jalousie-beach-break/

Does the $80 pp Spencer Tour leave from the Cruise Terminal at Castries?

The Jalousie Beach Break excursion is $85 and yes, it does leave from the Cruise Terminal.

I love getting others' perspectives! We just went to Jalousie Beach and it was my least favorite Caribbean beach. I found it to be small, crowded, and rocky, with poor snorkeling. The only nice thing was seeing the Pitons. I have been to Magen's, Sapphire, and Coki on St. Thomas, Trunk Bay on St. John, Maho on St. Maarten, 7 Mile in GC, West End in Roatan, and all of them were better than Jalousie IMHO.

I love getting others' perspectives! We just went to Jalousie Beach and it was my least favorite Caribbean beach. I found it to be small, crowded, and rocky, with poor snorkeling. The only nice thing was seeing the Pitons. I have been to Magen's, Sapphire, and Coki on St. Thomas, Trunk Bay on St. John, Maho on St. Maarten, 7 Mile in GC, West End in Roatan, and all of them were better than Jalousie IMHO.

How did you get there and how long did you stay? (still trying to plan)

How did you get there and how long did you stay? (still trying to plan)

We went as part of an excursion with Herrod. We were there for about 1.5 hours. I managed to find one lounger, but there wasn't one available for dh. He snorkeled for a bit but didn't see much. The Pitons are pretty though!

We went as part of an excursion with Herrod. We were there for about 1.5 hours. I managed to find one lounger, but there wasn't one available for dh. He snorkeled for a bit but didn't see much. The Pitons are pretty though!

Thank you for the additional information.

• 3 weeks later...

Some islands have beautiful beaches and others do not. While I agree St. Lucia does not have a beach that can equal others, it is still enjoyable and the scenery is beautiful.

The day we were in St. Lucia was rainy so it was not our best beach day but I would still rather be on the beach than at home!