Oasis Formal Nights ?

Junebug08

I hate dressing up ....does everyone really get decked out on Formal Night ? Would I get away with nice slacks and a dressy blouse ? Would hubby get away with nice slacks and a collared shirt ?

We are traveling my plane and the thought of packing gowns and suits and extra shoes etc is not working for me .

I hate dressing up ....does everyone really get decked out on Formal Night ? Would I get away with nice slacks and a dressy blouse ? Would hubby get away with nice slacks and a collared shirt ?

We are traveling my plane and the thought of packing gowns and suits and extra shoes etc is not working for me .

What you describe will be just fine. Although you will hear varied opinions, yes, people do still get decked out. You will see a wide array of clothing choices on formal nights. :rolleyes:

What you describe will be just fine. Although you will hear varied opinions, yes, people do still get decked out. You will see a wide array of clothing choices on formal nights. :rolleyes:

yes some if not most do get dressed up. after all it is FORMAL NIGHT !

My husband usually wears nice pants and a button shirt (no tie or coat) and I wear black dress capris with a nice top. I only bring 3 pairs black capris for dinner in the MDR and wear each pair twice! You have them on for such a short period of time and it makes mixing/matching so easy; allows for only one pair of "dress" shoes too.

You will be fine in what you describe!

What you describe will be perfectly fine for the main dining room or any specialty restaurant. As for when you are out and about on the ship, you will see quite a mix of attire depending on when you eat. If you have early seating or eat before 7 pm, you will find equal parts tux/shirt and tie to along with people walking about the promenade in bathing suits and t-shirts and shorts early in the evening. Simply because they aren't eating until much later.

This is a touchy subject for some people and the reality is that while some people do in fact go all out for formal nights there are more and more people lately going to a more casual approach to it. You'll be more than ok in wearing what you describe and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

This is a touchy subject for some people and the reality is that while some people do in fact go all out for formal nights there are more and more people lately going to a more casual approach to it. You'll be more than ok in wearing what you describe and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

you are correct,she will be fine in what she chose. but try this, look in the mirror before you leave your room on formal night, say to yourself "am i dressed formally?"

Always make me laugh on the responce on how formal you have to be on formal night. In all my cruise you always find people wearing jeans-a tux in the dining room for boys and capris or sundresses-a formal dress from prom for girls. I have never seen anyone turned away in business casual on formal night. I haven't seen anyone in beach shorts and beach flips flops in the main dining rooms for those nights, just in the casual areas.

Wear what you are comfortable in within the normal business casual level or above for formal night. That is what most wear the whole week anyway.

For me personal with traveling with my husband I don't like packing a suit. He always wear a very smart business casual look, button shirt with khakis.

HTH!!

you are correct,she will be fine in what she chose. but try this, look in the mirror before you leave your room on formal night, say to yourself "am i dressed formally?"

Phish,

Try this. Look at yourself in the mirror (at any time) and ask yourself "Why do I care how others are dressed?".

Give it a rest. Let people decide for themselves what is appropriate. The outfit described by the OP is more than adequate for the MDR on ANY night.

My wife likes to dress up for formal night-but still has relaxing clothes and wears twice.

I don't mind wearing a suit and tie but it's sure hard to eat so I wear dockers, a collared shirt and dress shoes.

We wear the same in the specialty restaurants.

We've seen cruisers wear just about everything in the dining room and on formal night.

If you don't like dressing up, I would say dine elsewhere on formal night. And, my husband and I went on a 7-day cruise with 1 rolling carry-on and a backpack each. Yes, he packed a suit and I packed formal wear.

Oh I agree. Those who choose not to measure up to other cruiser's idea of "formal" have no right to dine on the lobster they have already paid for. :rolleyes:

You will be just fine wearing what you described. Disregard what any of the fashion police say about formal wear. On the Oasis Formal Nights..formal wear is NOT a requirement...but merely a suggestion and it is a suggestion that fewer and fewer people are willing to do.

Yes....no problem...you are fine.

why not go to the Windjammer instead?

Junebug, I GUARANTEE you that there will be all manner of dress on Formal Nights. Dress code is not really enforced anymore, as it was many years ago; the term "formal" is probably more subjective these days. You'll see everything from floor length gowns and tuxedoes, to simple shirt/tie no jacket for men and nice pantsuits for ladies. What they don't allow is shorts, tank tops, swim wear (but you know THAT already, right?) LOL.

What you describe as your planned attire sounds perfectly fine. Don't worry. :)

Some people do not like to dress up. If you are one of them, then don't. If that bothers some people, well they have the same right to be bothered as you have to not want to dress up.

So if you want to go casual, go ahead. And if you want be bothered when people dress casual, go ahead. Its all OK.

Phish,

Try this. Look at yourself in the mirror (at any time) and ask yourself "Why do I care how others are dressed?".

Give it a rest. Let people decide for themselves what is appropriate. The outfit described by the OP is more than adequate for the MDR on ANY night.

Whoooaaa Nelly.......LOL :eek:

Archived