LHR Connection

Gonzo70

How long a layover is advisable at LHR for a flight from BCN to LHR (changing to a different flight in LHR) and then flying to ORD. It would be for a U.S. Citizen with checked luggage on a Saturday in late October. BCN to LHR on British Airways, LHR to ORD on American Airlines.

Also how much of a layover in JFK for a flight from ORD to JFK, changing planes and then flying JFK to BCN. Again a U.S. citizen with checked luggage, this time on a Friday in October. Both flights American Airlines, but a plane change involved at JFK.

Thanks for any advice. :)

For both legs, citizenship doesn't matter too much.

For the LHR connection, 2 at the very minimum, 3 or more preferable. You'll have to transfer from T5 to T3 which involves buses and security.

MCT is probably 1 hr but depends on how comfortable you are with arriving up to a day late. You're leving ORD and arriving into JFK, both known for ATC and ground delays. If you're boarding that day, I'd allow3 but preferably more hours. Especially if you want to give your bags a decent chance to follow you.

For both legs, citizenship doesn't matter too much.

For the LHR connection, 2 at the very minimum, 3 or more preferable. You'll have to transfer from T5 to T3 which involves buses and security.

MCT is probably 1 hr but depends on how comfortable you are with arriving up to a day late. You're leving ORD and arriving into JFK, both known for ATC and ground delays. If you're boarding that day, I'd allow3 but preferably more hours. Especially if you want to give your bags a decent chance to follow you.

Thanks for the information. It is actually for a business trip, not a cruise, but figured this was still a good place to ask.

Not to mention that AA uses gates at T3 that are closer to Windsor than to security, so allow plenty of time for schlepping.

Flyertalk.com can be brutal though. Anyone who thinks it gets "rough" here hasn't seen anything til they go a few heated rounds at FT. :D

I'll admit that I've had to post some questions on FT that might appear to be very basic (and thus things that I should already know) but kind folks on FT have provided me with answers that solved problems.

As a participant in both forums, let me clue you in to the three "triggers".

1. Posting a question that has been recently addressed and can be easily found by just scrolling through a page or two of topics - or easily searchable. ("When does Southwest open up?")
  2. Posting a vague question that omits so many important parameters as to be worse than useless. ("What's the best airline to Barcelona?")
  3. Demonstrating an obvious disregard for the simple concept of original research in checking the relevant airline website first. (Such as "How big a carry-on can I take?" when it's there in black and white.)

A well-phrased question that provides specifics one can work from is rarely flamed. A request for genuine information will get better responses than a thinly disguised rant. Finally, an admission that you are a noob and trying to learn will often bring out the best in folks.

I think FT is an absolutely fantastic tool. I travel and ton, but compared to many people on FT, I'm a noob. Just follow the guidelines in the post above mine and you shouldn't encounter much rudeness at all.

I agree, it's a wonderful tool and I've learned more on FT that I could have imagined. But I have seen it get downright nasty. Yes, often it is triggered by one of the 3 things Flyertalker posted above, but many times not.

Archived