Ruby Princess 1/27/13-three questions

HawkeyeGrandma

This will be our first cruise on Princess (previously cruised RCI). My questions are:

1. Are crop/capri pants allowed in the MDRs on other than formal nights?

2. Is their a charge for the food at the International Cafe?

3. What is the best way to have "happy hour" on our balcony before going to dinner? We drink wine and the one bottle per adult rule would not last through the week :) Is there a wine package you can purchase? Or is it possible to order through room service? Thanks!

This will be our first cruise on Princess (previously cruised RCI). My questions are:

1. Are crop/capri pants allowed in the MDRs on other than formal nights? YES

2. Is their a charge for the food at the International Cafe? NO..except for gelatto ($1.50 for 3 large scoops)

3. What is the best way to have "happy hour" on our balcony before going to dinner? We drink wine and the one bottle per adult rule would not last through the week :) Is there a wine package you can purchase? you should contact Princess directly for this one...they do have wine packages, but it does not seem to be consistant on all ships. Or is it possible to order through room service? Thanks!

see above in red....

Have a wonderful cruise...Ruby is one of our favorites :D

DH and I will be on this cruise, too. This will be our second time on the Ruby Princess - beautiful ship.

Capris are fine in the dining room (and specialty dining venues) on non-formal evenings.

Gelato is the only International Cafe item for which there is a nominal charge.

We hope that wine packages are available as they were last winter on the Crown Princess. If not, wine is available from Room Service, and there are markets in port where you can purchase wine. Don't think we've bought wine in St. Maarten, but we have definitely purchased wine in St. Thomas (Crown Bay and Havensight docks). We usually embark the ship with the "allowed" wine in our carry-ons but have another bottle or two in bags to be delivered to our stateroom ;)

Bon Voyage!

Chris

There is no such thing as Princess "allowing" wine or the need to secrete wine. You can carry on as much as you like and in a shopping bad; like we do.

DH and I had a 4-pack of wine from Crown Wine & Spirits on one of our cruises. We were asked to turn in two of the bottles that would be held for the duration of the cruise. Other embarking passengers on that cruise were also having wine confiscated, so it can and does happen occasionally.

DH and I had a 4-pack of wine from Crown Wine & Spirits on one of our cruises. We were asked to turn in two of the bottles that would be held for the duration of the cruise. Other embarking passengers on that cruise were also having wine confiscated, so it can and does happen occasionally.

Wow. That is news. Which ship was this?? We have never had a problem bringing several bottles of wine each, and beer and water.

When and where? Only place I know of might be in Sydney.

We've never brought wine onboard (I'm allergic), but we were surprised when we were on the Crown and while in Cozumel, brought back a large bottle of tequila and a pack of 4 small tequila bottles and they allowed us to take the small tequila bottles to our stateroom. They only confiscated the large bottle, saying the small bottles were classed as souvenirs. On the Ruby at St. Thomas, we bought a small bottle of Crown Royal, and I carried it on board in my purse and it wasn't intercepted.

1. Are crop/capri pants allowed in the MDRs on other than formal nights?

2. Is their a charge for the food at the International Cafe?

3. What is the best way to have "happy hour" on our balcony before going to dinner? We drink wine and the one bottle per adult rule would not last through the week :) Is there a wine package you can purchase? Or is it possible to order through room service? Thanks!

1. yes to capris

2. only for the WONDERFUL & GENEROUS gelato 3 scoops = $1.50 Sandwiches are awesome

3. They do sell wine packages

Didn't mean to cause an uproar with the question about wine. We just want to be able to have a glass of wine or two - or three :) - on our balcony before dinner. And we don't want to be embarrassed trying to carry it on and having it confiscated. Perfectly willing to purchase a wine package or order from room service if that is reasonable. Having said that, if we can carry a few bottles on with us w/o worry, that would be great! And we would still purchase wine with dinner and at other times so Princess would benefit.

Thanks for the answers to my other questions! Being a relatively new cruiser, it's so nice to hear from all you experienced folks!

Didn't mean to cause an uproar with the question about wine. We just want to be able to have a glass of wine or two - or three :) - on our balcony before dinner. And we don't want to be embarrassed trying to carry it on and having it confiscated. Perfectly willing to purchase a wine package or order from room service if that is reasonable. Having said that, if we can carry a few bottles on with us w/o worry, that would be great! And we would still purchase wine with dinner and at other times so Princess would benefit.

Thanks for the answers to my other questions! Being a relatively new cruiser, it's so nice to hear from all you experienced folks!

I wouldn't worry....on our trip on the Ruby in March/April we took on 6 bottles in Fort Lauderdale and every port we took on 2 - 4 bottles, depended where we were and if there was any good wine to purchase.... In Italy we took a heap onboard.... not one question was asked. We also took on cases of beer and slabs of iced green tea. (I don't drink much LOL)

We've never brought wine onboard (I'm allergic), but we were surprised when we were on the Crown and while in Cozumel, brought back a large bottle of tequila and a pack of 4 small tequila bottles and they allowed us to take the small tequila bottles to our stateroom. They only confiscated the large bottle, saying the small bottles were classed as souvenirs. On the Ruby at St. Thomas, we bought a small bottle of Crown Royal, and I carried it on board in my purse and it wasn't intercepted.

Since Tequila is not a wine, it is not surprising that the large bottle was held for you.

You can order a wine package from room service to be delivered to your stateroom. If I remember correctly, there are 4 small bottles (think airline size) in the package. We usually buy wine in each of the ports to bring back on board and have never had a problem.

You certainly didn't. The answer is still yes. You can carry on wine and they will not confiscate. I don't know where you are embarking, but if it's the Ruby in FLL, you can take a case.

You can order a wine package from room service to be delivered to your stateroom. If I remember correctly, there are 4 small bottles (think airline size) in the package. We usually buy wine in each of the ports to bring back on board and have never had a problem.

That is not the wine package they want. The wine package is for 6 or 7 bottles, and cost is $150 - $175. You choose from the wine list; a specific price range.

We buy boxes equivalent of 4 bottles at the airport and take them on in a duty free bag. We will be purchasing 2 this time to go on Saturday. We then buy in ports and take on. We should be ashamed because our bar bill is still very hefty.

Archived