Buying cigarettes on the ship

readytogo2

Does anyone know if you purchased cigarettes from HAL, would they let you take them or do they hold them til the end of the cruise? I'd appreciate your response.

Based on my experience on the Veendam last month, passengers can buy a pack of cigarettes in various bar areas on board and take them, but if the carton/s are purchased in the Duty-Free shop, the cigs are held until the last day of your voyage.

Based on my experience on the Veendam last month, passengers can buy a pack of cigarettes in various bar areas on board and take them, but if the carton/s are purchased in the Duty-Free shop, the cigs are held until the last day of your voyage.

When I used to smoke I never experienced this, we always took the carton with us at the time of purchase, this was a number of years ago.

I'm seeing that others had a different experience than I did...perhaps because I purchased a couple of bottles of liquor at the same time I bought the cartons of cigs, the shop clerk combined the purchases for me to pick-up on the last day of the cruise? Anyway, I just accepted it as normal procedure and didn't ask if I could take the cigs then and there because previously on other cruise lines, duty-free purchases of cigs and liquor were normally held until the final day. Thanks - now I know to ask at the time of purchase :) My apology for giving incorrect info.:o

I have bought 2-4 cartons (depends on how long we are cruising for) on each of our previous 9 cruises with HAL since May 2008 through March 2012 on board Oosterdam (2 times), Westerdam (2 times), Nieuw Amsterdam (2 weeks), Zuiderdam (2 weeks) and Noordam (11 days).

On NONE of them were any of my cartons held until the last day of the cruise.

Buy the carton(s) in the little convenience store on the ship (usually located near the Booze) and take them to your room.

Salacia, it was the Alcohol that they were holding for you:)

I should add that on our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise Feb 2011 there was an older couple in the room just forward of ours who were on a 3 week cruise on the ship. They were allowed to buy 1 bottle of alcohol for consumption on the ship each week. The first week we were on (heck the 1st day) they asked if we could purchase one bottle for them, whcih we did. They are the ones who explained to us about the on board alcohol purchase for consumption.

Joanie

I am amazed CtheWorld hasn't hit this thread;)

I suspect Salicia's experience was because of the purchase of the liquor.

The only thing the duty free shop holds traditionally is the alcohol purchases. Anything else you buy there you can take directly to your cabin (Including cigarettes):)

I am amazed CtheWorld hasn't hit this thread;)

I suspect Salicia's experience was because of the purchase of the liquor.

The only thing the duty free shop holds traditionally is the alcohol purchases. Anything else you buy there you can take directly to your cabin (Including cigarettes):)

I'm flattered you thought of me. busy day at work... anyway, nobody is bashing the smokers (yet).

as far as how many you can bring back, that depends on where you buy them. i'm too busy to look up the US state dept site, but it is there. IIRC you can bring back 5 cartons. if you bought them in a US terrritory (like st. thomas, Puerto Rico, etc.).

In my experence,

Princess Keeps them till last day:(

RCCL Lets you have them:D

HAL Lets you have them:D

CHEERS!!!

Also, perhaps it depends on the itinerary? Sometimes the on-board duty free shop is open for "viewing" but, while they can't allow purchases to be taken away, they can allow you to put in your order and have it ready after the ship has reached a certain distance from port?

For example, when the Veendam was docked in Bermuda for 3 1/2 days, the ships stores were only permitted to discuss purchase orders, but not to sell anything for immediate sale. (Did I write that clearly?:confused:) -S

Also, perhaps it depends on the itinerary? Sometimes the on-board duty free shop is open for "viewing" but, while they can't allow purchases to be taken away, they can allow you to put in your order and have it ready after the ship has reached a certain distance from port?

For example, when the Veendam was docked in Bermuda for 3 1/2 days, the ships stores were only permitted to discuss purchase orders, but not to sell anything for immediate sale. (Did I write that clearly?:confused:) -S

Never having done the Bermuda run or any cruise that over nighted, I can only believe/think that you might just be correct in purchases while in port.

And yes, you did write that clearly:)

Joanie

The main thing we've noticed is the lack of selection in the on board shops for cigs. They used to carry many, many brands but over the last two or three years they seem to be down to 3 or 4 brands of smokes.

But whatever brand we buy we get to take them back to the cabin.

The main thing we've noticed is the lack of selection in the on board shops for cigs. They used to carry many, many brands but over the last two or three years they seem to be down to 3 or 4 brands of smokes.

But whatever brand we buy we get to take them back to the cabin.

Kakalina

Do you remember what brands and cost? I may wait till St. Thomas.:)

Kakalina

Do you remember what brands and cost? I may wait till St. Thomas.:)

I am not Kakalina, obviously:D However I can answer ....

They have brand names such as Marlboro, I think Kool and 2-3 others. They also have one brand of Generic cigarettes. All of the cigarettes offered come in the various sizes of regular, lite and are $31.00 per Name Brand and $27 or $28 per Generic carton. These were my most recent experiences this past March on Noordam in the Caribbean.

EDITED TO ADD: If you plan on purchasing the cheaper, generic brand you need to get them as soon as the Shops open as the crew buys those as soon as they hit the shelves.

Joanie

Archived