Decisions, decisions... RCL Navigator or CCL Magic

prattmom

Looking at booking next Thanksgiving's cruise. I had already decided on the Magic, but have begun to think about other lines... The RCL Navigator sails from Galveston the same week and I'm torn.

I've never sailed anything but Carnival and think it would be fun to try something new. I'm hoping fellow CCL and RCL fans can help me decide.

What I like most about Magic:

Red Frog Pub

Serenity

Lanai around deck 5

Spa heated loungers and pool

What I like about NOS:

Better itinerary IMO (Cayman, Jamaica, Coz) Magic sails the exotic Western that week with Belize and Roatan. We just REALLY like Grand Cayman and will be doing the exotic western this year. Its been awhile since we were in Cayman.

Any input is appreciated! TIA!

Variety is the spice of life. Love RCCL also ......

Sometimes the deciding factor is price, sometimes destination. I think this is a personal decision that only you can make.

Regardless of what you decide.....you will have a great time. There really is not a BIG difference between the two cruise lines. :):o:)

I have been on both and liked each of them. I think Navigator is a great size. It is still big. I love RCCL's Royal Promenade and the the ship itself is beautiful. The Ice Show is always fun as well. The adult only section of Navigator is great with a nice pool and two huge whirlpools. While it doesn't have the full Spa section that the Magic has, the Men's and Woman's locker rooms are very nice with huge saunas and steam rooms. There is also a nice Pub on the ship.

I enjoyed the Magic quite a bit as well. I loved the waterslides and the Ocean Plaza are. The Red Frog Pub is nice. While I like the atrium, it does not compare to the Promenade on Royal. The wrap around Lanai is great though. The pools on the Magic really suffer compared to Navigator. They are very small and crowded. I did have a Spa room on the Magic and really enjoyed the amenities with it.

If you haven't tried Royal, then I say go for it. Personally, I love their ships. They are well designed and beautiful.

Although I have not been on the Navigator, I have been on her sister ship, the Mariner as well as Magic and I prefer Royal Caribbean. I loved the Promenade on RCI where we had an inside cabin overlooking it for the parades and to check out the "feeding frenzy" at the shops. The ship had a much more elegant feel and the adult only area had a pool where Serenity doesn't and it is more shaded. Up on the top deck on Serenity it gets really pretty hot during the day. I also felt the food was slightly better on RCI. I like the addition of the Ice Shows as well as the rock climbing wall.

What I love about the Magic is the Red Frog Pub and the constant availability of activities. RCI is a little more laid back on activities. Although I forgot to bring closed toed shoes to try the rope course on Magic, I plan to try it out in Oct. The comedy club is also pretty fun but get there early since it fills up fast.

All in all I think the itinerary is important and if you prefer Cayman I'd go with it and experience a different ship. When we went to Belize many years ago, I felt very unsafe there and it is a port I'd either avoid or chose not to get off the ship. No matter what you choose, you'll have a great cruise.

Im a RCL fan and finally diamond. Their perks are worth building loyalty to me. Free drinks at night if you drink. Money off balconys .. but you dont start getting good perks until about 5 cruises. 2nd cruise you start getting a coupon book but it isnt as good as it used to be. My favorite coupon is a free picture, any one you want, I now get free. I got a big one at dinner last time that is a nice souveneir. I usually dont get them though.

You start getting priority boarding at platinum, about 5 cruises, but you line up according to loyalty .. but still in front of the masses.

I liked Voyager better than Freedom class I think, but cant put my finger on why.

Ship will be beautiful. Why not try something new .. but its most important to have a open mind and not constantly compare. I ran into one Carnival person on RCL who was always comparing and said to me.. I got seasick on this ship and never on Carnival... so Carnival must build better ships, so Im never doing RCL again.

I think a open mind is the most important thing to have to try different lines and enjoy what each does best.

If you are a pool and serenity area person.. thats one thing RCL surpasses Carnival by a mile on. They have a lot more pools which are much larger, and hot tubs are also huge. The serenity areas have nice pools as well.

Ever since the most recent Magic review with photos, we've actually become interested in possibly sailing out of Galveston sometime. And while I haven't sailed on Navigator before, I have sailed on her sister ship, Mariner of the Seas, 4 times and enjoyed every cruise.

If the itinerary on Navigator is more appealing, go with Navigator. Either way, you're going to have fun. RC and Carnival are a very similar product.

We did the Navigator in 2009 when she used to sail from FL. It is a gorgeous ship. If you have not tried RCL I would go for it. As others have stated, the Serenity area (adults) is beautiful and the Ice Show is a must see. It is amazing how they land those jumps on a moving ship.

I cannot compare to Carnival as we have yet to sail next Spring but I can tell you that we really enjoyed the Navigator. And if the itinerary is what you want I would say book it.

If you are looking for a balcony cabin, try to snag a "hump balcony" they are in a great location on the ship - very convenient and a nice view IMO

I have sailed the VOyager in an aft cabin. (awesome, I might add)

but found this class of ship is too big for us.

I was pooped out by the end of the week.

Could be since our cabin was all the way aft and most of the entertainment was all the way forward.

Price dictates the ship we picked and the Voyager was a LOT cheaper then the Victory at the time

I have sailed the VOyager in an aft cabin. (awesome, I might add)

but found this class of ship is too big for us.

I was pooped out by the end of the week.

Could be since our cabin was all the way aft and most of the entertainment was all the way forward.

Price dictates the ship we picked and the Voyager was a LOT cheaper then the Victory at the time

The OP is comparing Carnival Magic to Navigator.. both about the same size and both out of Galveston.

I dont think they are looking for suggestions to go to another port .. which of the two ships would you pick... since they are about the same size, not sure saying its too big would help a lot? Thats us Texans.. we love going out of Galveston. I get OP entirely about this.

OP I love Carnival Magic too .. its more gorgeous than any other Carnival ship I have ever seen. Has a lot of new features to compete with RCL to me.

I would pick by price.. and since I dont know the prices.. cant say which one Id pick.

There really is not a BIG difference between the two cruise lines. :):o:)

I personally consider these two cruise lines to be VERY different these days. Yes, there was a time when they were more similar, but the paths that they've taken with ship design, size, decoration, accommodations, dining options, activities, itineraries, children's program, loyalty program, and overall quality, are all diverging.

Last year, we chose to try each cruise line's newest and largest to see how they compared (Allure and Dream). We had a great time on both, but in a nutshell, they just DON'T compare! The Royal Caribbean product today is VASTLY superior to the Carnival product today. If anybody has a doubt, look at the suggestions and opinions on threads of this nature. There WAS a time when most people on the Carnival board actually favored Carnival over Royal Caribbean. Not so much anymore...

If everything were equal, I'd go with Carnival, but since you prefer the itinerary of the other cruise, I'd choose that one. I love Grand Cayman, too. We almost did RCCL for our upcoming Baltic cruise because we preferred the ports. However, it was a shorter cruise with less sea days and I also like to have down time on the ship. In the end we went with Carnival based on the length of the cruise, the cost, and the fact that the cruise started and ended at the same port so less trouble with booking flights. I'm not opposed to trying another line, but there has to be more for me than just a different ship. Also, my husband is pretty, well...to be kind, frugal. So I'm not sure that I could convince him to try another line if all things appeared to be equal and the other line was a lot more expensive. Although I think we'd both be willing to pay more for a cruise with no kids allowed. :) Anyway, I'd hate to think that you'd pay whatever the cruise cost and end up wishing you were at the other destinations. Why not give RCCL a try and then come back and give us a nice review comparing it to a similar Carnival cruise?

I have not sailed the Magic, but I have sailed the Navigator and the Voyager, Explorer and Mariner (all the same class). Just for the ship alone, I would choose the RCCL ship. There is no comparison. Royal ships are magnificient. Also I believe Royal has rolled out new menus which are a step up from Carnival. For me, Royal hands down. The ship is a work of art compared to any Carnival ship I have sailed (about 10 different ones). The decor is much more upscale compared to the garish Carnival ships. I believe you will love the difference. Bon Voyage!

I have not sailed the Magic, but I have sailed the Navigator and the Voyager, Explorer and Mariner (all the same class). Just for the ship alone, I would choose the RCCL ship. There is no comparison. Royal ships are magnificient. Also I believe Royal has rolled out new menus which are a step up from Carnival. For me, Royal hands down. The ship is a work of art compared to any Carnival ship I have sailed (about 10 different ones). The decor is much more upscale compared to the garish Carnival ships. I believe you will love the difference. Bon Voyage!

If you have not sailed Magic or Breeze or looked at pictures, you must not know that the garish decorator took a 2nd seat and the ship is not garrish.. as I stated above it is gorgeous. It is emerald green, a color not garrish in any way... people should not state things if they have no experience with the ships in question to me. If you dont know..

I've sailed VOTS and Magic. Both very nice but I like the layout of RCCL ships better. I like the food on board the Magic better. Service is about the same. If you've not done the Voyager class ships, I would go for that instead. :D

Tapi, I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I was really referring to the food, entertainment, service and overall experience, not the ship itself.....meaning, you cannot compare the Allure and the Magic. The Allure can hold over 6,000 pax, and the the Magic over 3600.

The mega ships are truly amazing...have been on the Oasis twice and the Allure once. The activities, food venues and overall feel of the ship is in a class by itself. The Boardwalk, Central park and the Promenade decks are unbelievable. I don't think it is fair to compare these to large ships. The food venues are insane...and I do not think any other ship can compare to places like the Aqua Theatre for entertainment. :o

If the OP had asked about those, then yes, I would ONE HUNDRED percent say "Go with RCCL". (yes I am an RCCL cheerleader)..16 cruises with them. :o:o:o

Looking at booking next Thanksgiving's cruise. I had already decided on the Magic, but have begun to think about other lines... The RCL Navigator sails from Galveston the same week and I'm torn.

I've never sailed anything but Carnival and think it would be fun to try something new. I'm hoping fellow CCL and RCL fans can help me decide.

What I like most about Magic:

Red Frog Pub

Serenity

Lanai around deck 5

Spa heated loungers and pool

What I like about NOS:

Better itinerary IMO (Cayman, Jamaica, Coz) Magic sails the exotic Western that week with Belize and Roatan. We just REALLY like Grand Cayman and will be doing the exotic western this year. Its been awhile since we were in Cayman.

Any input is appreciated! TIA!

We have mostly sailed Carnival too, due to convienience of being in Galveston year round. Since you are going on the Magic this year, I would definately suggest you try RCCL.We loved the Mariner from Galveston, our second cruise on a Voyager class ship. Navigator is also in this class. Trying a new ship or cruise line kind of makes it all seem new again.Give it a try! It will give you something new to look forward to.

btw...you'll be getting on the Magic the day we are getting off this November.We can't wait to see it.Enjoy your cruise!

We have mostly sailed Carnival too, due to convienience of being in Galveston year round. Since you are going on the Magic this year, I would definately suggest you try RCCL.We loved the Mariner from Galveston, our second cruise on a Voyager class ship. Navigator is also in this class. Trying a new ship or cruise line kind of makes it all seem new again.Give it a try! It will give you something new to look forward to.

btw...you'll be getting on the Magic the day we are getting off this November.We can't wait to see it.Enjoy your cruise!

We sailed the Magic last Thanksgiving and loved it. This year we are taking the kids. They have to try the water slides!

Thanks guys, you've given me a lot to think about. Fire, you are si right about the Magic being so different than the other ships. It is by far our favorite.

Good to hear about the nice adult area on the NOS. I hadn't read much about it and was a little worries.

Thanks again!

Archived