Classic international cruises - help

Pax106

I note Mr Hunter transferred ownership to a Panamanian company some days before anything was disclosed. Has anyone asked him why? Would the administrators now not be able to get hold of any company funds?

that all depends if anything was done incorrectly

he may have been able to legitimately do that

still praying for all to have a quick good outcome

Greg

Here is a press release from the lawyers involved:

Press Release: 2 November 2012

Classic International Cruises Pty Ltd (Administrators Appointed)

ACN: 108 757 722

Brad Tonks and John Vouris of the Business Recovery & Insolvency team at Lawler Partners were appointed Voluntary Administrators of Classic International Cruises Pty Ltd (Administrators Appointed) ("CIC Australia"), on 31 October 2012 following a resolution passed by the company.

The cruise ship "MV Athena" remains under arrest in port. In correspondence received from the ships owners today, it was advised that the ship will not be available to depart on 12 November 2012 from Marseille, France. The future availability of MV Athena is still being negotiated.

The Administrators have engaged in negotiations with a small number of alternate providers to source a backup ship. The Administrators expect to be in a position by Wednesday, 7 November 2012 to confirm if a ship will be available for the intended 2012-2013 cruising schedule.

At this time future bookings remain on hold, whilst the Administrators continue the task of seeking a suitable ship for the 2012 – 2013 cruises.

The Administrators will continue providing travel agents with regular updates as further information becomes available and we encourage customers to contact their travel agents in relation to their future travel arrangements.

Customers wishing to register a claim with the Voluntary Administrators may complete the form on the following link and forward it to their office as set out below: Informal Proof of Debt Form.Anyone with an enquiry in relation to the Voluntary Administration is encouraged to contact Lawler Partners at cicaustralia@lawlerpartners.com.au or alternatively to address correspondence to:

The Administrators

Classic International Cruises Pty Ltd

C/- Lawler Partners

GPO Box 5446

SYDNEY NSW 2001, AUSTRALIA

They have not been able to secure another ship. :-(

"

Press Release: 7 November 2012

Classic International Cruises Pty Ltd (Administrators Appointed)

ACN: 108 757 722

Brad Tonks and John Vouris of the Business Recovery & Insolvency team at Lawler Partners were appointed Voluntary Administrators of Classic International Cruises Pty Ltd (Administrators Appointed) ("CIC Australia"), on 31 October 2012 following a resolution passed by the company.

The Administrators have continued negotiations with a number of alternate providers to source a backup ship to MV Athena. The Administrators have also been in communication with various government and industry bodies seeking support for CIC Australia's scheduled cruises throughout the 2012-2013 season.

Despite these efforts, unfortunately a viable ship has not been secured for the first cruise scheduled to depart Marseille, France on 12 November 2012, nor has one been secured for any part of the 2012-2013 season. Accordingly, the Administrators recommend that customers contact their travel agents to make alternative arrangements to their travel plans.

Given that CIC Australia will not be in a position to fulfill the cruises booked for the 2012-2013 season the following options may be available to customers:

Travel Insurance

Customers with travel insurance should contact their insurer or travel agent to make an insurance claim.

Booking Through a Travel Agent

If customers paid for travel arrangements using a licenced travel agent, customers may be able to make a claim with the Travel Compensation Fund.

For more information on the Travel Compensation Fund see their website:www.tcf.org.au/index.asp

Request a Chargeback

If customers paid with a credit card or a debit card and selected 'credit', they should contact their card provider to discuss if a 'chargeback' is available as soon as possible. This effectively reverses the credit card charge.

Register as a Creditor

Customers wishing to register a claim with the Voluntary Administrators may complete the form on the following link and forward it to their office as set out below: Informal Proof of Debt Form.

The Administrators will continue to provide periodic updates on the progress of the Administration via the Lawler Partners website: www.lawlerpartners.com.au

Anyone with an enquiry in relation to the Voluntary Administration is encouraged to contact Lawler Partners at cicaustralia@lawlerpartners.com.au or alternatively to address correspondence to:

The Administrators

Classic International Cruises Pty Ltd

C/- Lawler Partners

GPO Box 5446

"

Hi all,

Just thought i might provide an update for others to read. Today is the 14/11 the day we were due to depart Rome!! Instead I was at the travel agent, oblivious to the date until the signing section; completing a claim for with the Travel Compensation Fund. This is only for the cruise component. Once all land and air losses are determined, suppliers will refund any amounts not gobbled up in fees and the amount charged for cancellation fees will then be claimed from my travel insurance.

I hope everyone else can get their claims underway, and I hope theirs and mine are successful!!!!

good luck all

Melissa

We were on the March/April 2012 cruise to the Far East with Athena. We were not surprise to hear that the ship had gone into receivership due to unpaid fuel and staff wages. We feel sorry for the crew and passengers who had booked. The onboard service were excellent and there were lots of repeat cruisers. During our 6 weeks cruise we found the food unedible. I am not a fussy eater but could not wait till the next port to have a decent meal. The T.V. Program were mostly European and not much Asian or Australian news despite the ship spending 4 months sailing in Australian waters. When I disembark from Athena in April, I could see the end of this cruise line as it would not be able to compete with the modern ship. I have cruised around the world and have completed more than 25 cruises. I have just disembarked from the Voyages of the Sea.

I also was on this voyage, Must disagree with SPY1956 regarding the food. Will back up the service though. I also travelled from Civitevecchia the previous Nov home to Freo. The food is not 5 star, but it is adequate and wholesome. She is not a 5 star ship, though she does deliver 5 star service. Not often you are greeted by numerous staff who say it is good to see you back on board. K

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know the date the Athena was arressted? I paid for my cruise on october 2nd, I would think my travel agent should have known about this, any thoughts?:confused:

We were able to get a credit card charge back so we can now make new plans, Athena was on my bucket list, my travel agent that took my booking two weeks after Athena was arrested, now says CIC cruises was on an internal cruise ship black list, someone should have blown the whistle much earlier they now will be carrying the lose, someone should have checked, if you agent is stalling you I suggest strongly to go for a credit card charge back, time restrictions apply, hope this info helps

Does anyone know the date the Athena was arressted? I paid for my cruise on october 2nd, I would think my travel agent should have known about this, any thoughts?:confused:

We were able to get a credit card charge back so we can now make new plans, Athena was on my bucket list, my travel agent that took my booking two weeks after Athena was arrested, now says CIC cruises was on an internal cruise ship black list, someone should have blown the whistle much earlier they now will be carrying the lose, someone should have checked, if you agent is stalling you I suggest strongly to go for a credit card charge back, time restrictions apply, hope this info helps good luck

• 3 weeks later...

As a person who was taking my first ever cruise on the Athena in Feb 2013, Adelaide to Fremantle, I have to say this debacle, along with the complete lack of honesty from CIC AND the administrators, nearly put me off cruising for life! Thankfully, I cancelled 3 weeks before and received a refund from the Travel Compensation Fund which has been put towards a trip on "Rhapsody Of The Seas" at the same time. Bizarrely, the RCI cruise is 2 nights longer, yet hardly costs any more!:D I'm still HIGHLY P'd off with CIC, and I know for a fact that they were still taking deposits right up to a week before the administrators took over.:confused:

COMING UP: RHAPSODY OF THE SEAS - 11/2/2013 7 nights Sydney, Melborne, Burnie, Hobart, Sydney

Bizarrely, the RCI cruise is 2 nights longer, yet hardly costs any more!:D

Very interesting.

This is what we have been trying to tell Australians and New Zealanders for many , many years now.

We have had to put up with old ships and pay top dollar to the cruise lines.

Those of us who have cruised overseas have come back and wondered why and now that the overseas lines are bringing their newer and bigger ships to Australia , people are starting to see what we have been on about all these years.

I have read on other boards where the founder of the company died a few months ago and his children have taken over the running on the business and they have apparently inherited a situation , of financial chaos.

I guess more will come out in time.

Seems like when the ship was arrested all passengers had to disembark. A charter flight was arranged to take them home.

Hounded by creditors, Athena and Princess Danae are stranded with 500 crew members on board.

http://www.lamarseillaise.fr/le-fait-du-jour/saisie-de-deux-navires-de-croisiere-a-marseille-27972-2.html

Hundreds of mainly Belgian cruise were stranded Friday in Marseille after entering the cruise ship MV Athena on which they had embarked the day before a cruise of ten days.

The ship is currently 160 meters immobilized on the platform 13 with 240 crew members is within the scope of a seizure. "It was installed on Thursday morning and then we had to leave in the late afternoon, we were told that due to wind force 9, we would leave tomorrow," said one of the twenty French onboard Roland Lebozec, 80, who paid 2,550 euros for 10 days between the Greek islands, Malta, Bonifacio, etc.. "Then, Friday morning, rumors swelled, and at 11:30 we were gathered in the auditorium to announce the arrest of the ship he had to leave. There was a lot of disappointment, but no mutiny or revolt. We think this little Filipino and Indonesian staff who will be thanked. This is insane. '

"A lot of disappointment, but not mutiny"

The organizer of the cruise, All Ways was immediately chartered a flight from Marseille Provence Airport to repatriate its customers Brussels. "It was done very quietly, probably because they are retired and All Ways has responded perfectly," says Melissa Monaco, a passenger, together with his return to Brussels.

The owner, an Australian company, Classic International Cruises, has four other vessels it operates by its operator NDS Voyages which it is a shareholder. Yesterday, none was contacted when we learned that the Princess Danae, another of its vessels already held in Lisbon ten days ago, arrived at noon in Marseille to Nice then expected. He probably knows the same fate as the judicial Athena.

"They learned entering the mouth of the passengers'

Athena also beating Portuguese flag (registered in Madeira) was chartered for three months by All Ways for its fifth and final cruise. The ship can accommodate up to 580 passengers in its 277 cabins. It was owned since 2004 by the Greek shipowner George Potamianos, founder and president of Classic International Cruises, died at Lisbon on 30 May 2012.

Built in Sweden in 1948, was the first transatlantic launched after the war. In 1994, it was converted to $ 150 million in luxury cruise ship.

It hits and runs another transatlantic in 1956!

The ship has undergone several dramatic events. On 26 July 1956, he had hit the night off the coast of another American transatlantic, the Andrea Doria, which sank by 46 victims. The Italian press had dubbed "the nave della morte" (the ship of death). More recently, in December 2008, he was attacked by a fleet of Somali pirates: 29 small boats, each with 6 pirates never had surrounded board.

The fate of the crew remains uncertain. "It is of Filipino workers, Indonesian but also Ukrainians, Romanians. They learned entering the mouth of the passengers. They wonder how they will get home. '

Archived