Classic international cruises - help

Pax106

Perusing the latest Spring Issue of "From the Bridge" magazine, noticed the following advertisement, Classic International Cruises -

Special 83 night Combination Voyage Fremantle - UK - Fremantle for $10,999 ppts, with a saving from $1,725 pp, if both voyages were booked by 31st October, 2012.

Sounded like a great idea, with three months in Europe, between cruises. Pity it has ended the way it has.

The CIC Line and Travel Agents are still selling cruises for Athena and other ships in the fleet. Absolutely nothing on their web site re their troubles. Sounds a little criminal to me.

If the ships are still arrested - then there is quite a lot of "lost revenue" - no income - no outgoings. Does anyone know how many cruises have been cancelled during this time?I cannot see how a magic wand will be waved to allow the Athena to come down to Aus. I know everyone thinks we are the land of plenty - but miracles are a little harder to come by.

The CIC Line and Travel Agents are still selling cruises for Athena and other ships in the fleet. Absolutely nothing on their web site re their troubles. Sounds a little criminal to me.

Hi Les

More than just a little criminal...trading whilst in insolvent does not sit well with ASIC... and I imagine the Travel Agency Indemnity group would not be too excited.

Consider also the Travel Insurance Companies... they would certainly not be looking at extending cover for cruises on this line.

I cannot imagine how anyone would consider booking a cruise on Athena .. lovely old Mistress of the Sea..but headed towards a very uncertain future!

cheers

Does anyone knows why the crew and staff onboard the arrested vessels (Danae, Athena and Arion) did not disembark?

I got in touch with one crew member and they refuse to leave the vessel without being paid (3 months!!!).

There are rumours that shipowners are bankrupt....

I think that the flag authorities are not doing their job properly!!

Isn't this CRIME!!!:mad:

The latest news we have is that a fourth ship has been arrested, but bookings are still being taken for the France – Australia cruise next month. Here's the link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4995

Hi Les

More than just a little criminal...trading whilst in insolvent does not sit well with ASIC...

That's very presumptive. With all the reports of local bookings and inquiries, there's no reason to support that the local office is insolvent, in fact the opposite.

The issue may be that there is an issue in delivering the product, which would be an issue for customers - but if local solvency is not an issue, then a replacement or refund would be provided readily.

I received this email in response to a request on the situation here is Australia, as I am booked to sail on Athena Oct 2013.

Thank you for your email.

It has been confirmed by Head Office in Lisbon that the Classic International Cruises Australian Season will be operating the full programme of itineraries as scheduled, commencing with the Line Voyage to Australia departing 12 November 2012 from Marseille.

We wish to advise that Classic International Cruises, Australia do not have financial problems.

Kind Regards,

Customer Relations

Classic International Cruises Australia

PO Box 409

Neutral Bay N.S.W. 2089

Tel: 02 9908 7877

Toll Free: 1800 990 857

Fax: 02 9908 7833

Email: admin@classicintcruises.com

K

I guess the 12th November 2012 will tell the real story.

All eyes will be on her , to see if she leaves,

.....and if so , for where?

If she's here by then, then it's very unlikely there'll be an issue and no reason to think she wouldn't sail. It means she's been released from the current hold, which means that the debt issue has been resolved, otherwise she wouldn't have been released to get here.

Of course, something _may_ crop up again, but then you can say that about Royal Caribbean or NCL as well, which have also had periods of financial concern in the past.

What is the latest? Are all the CIC ships including Athena still 'under arrest' in Marseille, Francais?

YEP....All 4 ships are still under arrest. Latest is they want to send Athena to profitable Australia ,so the Aussies will fill up the ship , drink lots of beer , and pay off their debts.

Only problem is that as each day passes the mortgage gets bigger as unpaid interest is added to the debt, so the whole thing is compounding.

I wish them all the best , but I also know that if Athena leaves France to sail out for a season in Australia....she has to pass Alang Beach :eek:, and the temptation from the bankers to cash in their debt for scrap steel value , may be too much :(

YEP....All 4 ships are still under arrest. Latest is they want to send Athena to profitable Australia ,so the Aussies will fill up the ship , drink lots of beer , and pay off their debts.

Only problem is that as each day passes the mortgage gets bigger as unpaid interest is added to the debt, so the whole thing is compounding.

I wish them all the best , but I also know that if Athena leaves France to sail out for a season in Australia....she has to pass Alang Beach :eek:, and the temptation from the bankers to cash in their debt for scrap steel value , may be too much :(

Thanks for the update David. All does look a little grim for Athena and the other CIC ships.

I have emailed the PR officer at Classica Australia - no reply. I have emailed the Travel section of the Werst Australian - who advises the Travel Editor is overseas - but indicated they would look into it to see how it would affect Australian Cruisers. That was last week

TA called this morning - Perth time - and said answer is the same; only their is additional information "All debts have been paid"

If anyone can enlighten me any further I would greatly appreciate it. Six of us are travelling and are due to leave in 2 weeks for an extended time in Rome before boarding....... Im gonna hate being all the way in Rome only to find out my leg home has been cancelled..............aarrggg. Melissa Mc

Can you swim...............:p Only joking - there is nothing official anywhere to indicate all debts have been paid. Athena is still moored - and is supposed to be somewhere else having a refit. Not scaremongering - and I do believe the Australian cruises are good to go - but the cruises in the Northern Hemisphere were good to go as well. Someone has to pay the bill. So without any further speculation - let's all sit and wait.

It'll all come out in the wash

I have decided today, knowing that I will prob not see my airfares again.......the best thing to do will be head to Europe and hope for the best. If the ship isnt in port in Rome - they will fly us all home anyway!!! and then they will refund our cruise fares (or insurance will!!) Airlines (I think??) will be unlikely to refund any fares at all.

BUT no-one will even depart home if it is commmunicated to us before departure the ship and the homebound journey is doomed......

Can anyone please offer any advise regarding this decision.....

BTW Dizzy Lizzy - WE ARE NOT SWIMMING..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but thanks for the advise.... Mel:confused:

Based on information from the ASIC (Australian Securities & Investments Commission) on September 28th the shares of CIC Australia were transferred by G & S Hunter Pty Limited to Royal Atlas Maritime Inc, a Panamanian registered company. This doesn't seem very nice.:eek:

I have decided today, knowing that I will prob not see my airfares again.......the best thing to do will be head to Europe and hope for the best. If the ship isnt in port in Rome - they will fly us all home anyway!!! and then they will refund our cruise fares (or insurance will!!) Airlines (I think??) will be unlikely to refund any fares at all.

BUT no-one will even depart home if it is commmunicated to us before departure the ship and the homebound journey is doomed......

Can anyone please offer any advise regarding this decision.....

BTW Dizzy Lizzy - WE ARE NOT SWIMMING..............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but thanks for the advise.... Mel:confused:

Lodge your complaint now with the Insurance Company/Credit Card Company. If you show good cause why you want to cancel, especially in regards to the CC if you booked the flights with them, they will refund after the date of the flight. We were involved with the illfated Strategic/Air Australia fiasco and got our money back after the sail date for not getting the service which was booked. Worth a try..... send them all the newspaper articles to back up your case.

Based on information from the ASIC (Australian Securities & Investments Commission) on September 28th the shares of CIC Australia were transferred by G & S Hunter Pty Limited to Royal Atlas Maritime Inc, a Panamanian registered company. This doesn't seem very nice.:eek:

Not cause for concern of itself. Lots of Australian companies are held/registered overseas.

In similar position ...flying from Perth to Paris on 4th November. My husband and I are sure we will hear nothing other than CIC Australia company line that the cruise will go ahead. Be ready to board on 12th Nov in Marseille ...and if not then pick up a flight home and go to New Zealand for a fly drive. Are we expecting a refund...hope so...if so how long would it take through the company. I have been told that the money is in trust until ship leaves port...that info from CIC Australia in Sydney ....true???? Will be checking posts daily ...good luck everyone ...maybe meet you on board???? think I am attaching this to wrong reply...new at this sorry

Lodge your complaint now with the Insurance Company/Credit Card Company. If you show good cause why you want to cancel' date=' especially in regards to the CC if you booked the flights with them, they will refund after the date of the flight. We were involved with the illfated Strategic/Air Australia fiasco and got our money back after the sail date for not getting the service which was booked. Worth a try..... send them all the newspaper articles to back up your case.[/quote']

what newspaper articles...may need to collect. Our first inkling was some one interviewed on the radio at 7.15 in the morning. A rude awakening. Our travel agent phoned us later that day.

In similar position ...flying from Perth to Paris on 4th November. My husband and I are sure we will hear nothing other than CIC Australia company line that the cruise will go ahead. Be ready to board on 12th Nov in Marseille ...and if not then pick up a flight home and go to New Zealand for a fly drive. Are we expecting a refund...hope so...if so how long would it take through the company. I have been told that the money is in trust until ship leaves port...that info from CIC Australia in Sydney ....true???? Will be checking posts daily ...good luck everyone ...maybe meet you on board???? think I am attaching this to wrong reply...new at this sorry

Another Perth sucker about to fly out for Paris on the 6th with no guarantee of a ride home. I have contacted CIC Aust with no guaranteed outcome. Just tell me the ship is sailing and hope that I feel reassured. Not likely. I find it absolutely amazing that CIC Aust have put nothing on their website to inform customers of the current situation. Don't know why they employ a PR person. I guess it's just wait and see now.

Another Perth sucker about to fly out for Paris on the 6th with no guarantee of a ride home. I have contacted CIC Aust with no guaranteed outcome. Just tell me the ship is sailing and hope that I feel reassured. Not likely. I find it absolutely amazing that CIC Aust have put nothing on their website to inform customers of the current situation. Don't know why they employ a PR person. I guess it's just wait and see now.

What a horrible situation, I would be asking the company to confirm by email that the ship will be sailing...just in case the worst happens the insurance company wont be able to say, you knew about the situation and therefore they are not responsible. I would also check out what your insurance company says about the situation so you know where you stand...just sayin'

Sue

Archived