Classic international cruises - help

Pax106

This message just sent out to the travel industry..:

"Subsequent to Saturday's communication concerning the replacement of MV Athena with MV Delphin, Classic International Cruises Australia has this morning appointed Lawler Partners as Voluntary Administrators. This means that:

1) MV Delphin is no longer replacing MV Athena in Australia for the summer of 2012/2013

2) Customers or Travel Agents wishing to make a claim should contact the Administrators

a. Email cicaustralia@lawlerpartners.com.au

b. Mail: The Administrators, Classic International Cruises Pty Ltd, C/- Lawler Partners, GPO BOX 5446, Sydney NSW 2001"

looks pretty final to me...

very sorry for anyone who is booked, especially the ones on the voyage to Australia.

We're really sorry to report that following yesterday's story, it seems that discussions between CIC Australia and CMV have since broken down. Where this leaves passengers we're not sure; we are still trying to get hold of CIC Australia. Please let us know if you hear anything more. Here is a link to our updated story: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5054

CIC Aust in voluntary receivership.....no cruise. Very sad after getting hopes up. At least we know before we leave Australia. Bye!

.in the meantime contact your travel insurance supplier..Sue

Very sad news for everyone .

This will give all of cruising a bad name, and make people think twice about booking in the future.....

Travel Insurance?......You could be in for a tough time getting them to recognise a claim.:eek:

Refund?....The first thing Administrators do is find out where all the cash is and freeze it to pay their own and existing bills. Refunds will way at the back of the queue I am afraid.

Based on information from the ASIC (Australian Securities & Investments Commission) on September 28th the shares of CIC Australia were transferred by G & S Hunter Pty Limited to Royal Atlas Maritime Inc, a Panamanian registered company. This doesn't seem very nice.:eek:

Somebody knew something...:eek::eek:

Bookings "on hold" as CIC administrators seek to source alternate vessel

The planned upcoming Classic International Cruises season in Australian waters is under a cloud, after the company appointed Lawler Partners as voluntary administrators.

The move comes just days after CIC assured agents that it had sourced an alternative vessel to the previously planned MV Athena which has been impounded in France due to non-payment of bills.

According to a statement just issued by the admiistrators, the management of Classic International Cruises Australia was notified yesterday that a final agreement for the other ship may not be reached because of "delays prior to the scheduled departure of the cruise from Marseille, France on 12 November 2012".

Accordingly CIC sought advice in relation to the company's financial affairs, and placed the company into administration.

"Whilst future bookings have now been placed on hold, the Administrators intend to continue the task of sourcing a suitable vessel for the 2012-13 cruises," the statement said.

Travel agents will be provided with regular updates, with customers encouraged to contact their agents in relation to their future travel arrangements.

More information in tomorrow's issues of Travel Daily and Cruise Weekly.

Source Cruise Weekly 1527hrs 31Oct

Who would trust CIC after this debacle...they kept their clients either in the dark or gave them false hope...and I still think they should be covered by travel insurance...unforseen interuption to their travel plans..is pretty standard those who have lost out on flights etc. should be able to claim that also.

Sue

There isn't any option for them to continue if their whole business revenue side for the past year is lost in refunds, yet obviously the costs incurred wouldn't be recovered. What revenue do they have? It's a very tough situation to be in and appears they have tried the best they could.

Who would trust CIC after this debacle...they kept their clients either in the dark or gave them false hope...and I still think they should be covered by travel insurance...unforseen interuption to their travel plans..is pretty standard those who have lost out on flights etc. should be able to claim that also.

Sue

Yup, events have caught up with them. Here's our story: http://*******/XYXQj5

We sincerely hope this gets resolved. W'll keep you posted.

This Cruise Critic news item says the Athena was arrested on Sept 17, 2012.

This article from yesterday has the following comment from the WA government's Commissioner for Consumer Protection re remedies & compensation:

"Commissioner for Consumer Protection Anne Driscoll said the administrator had advised that efforts were underway to find a replacement ship with the intention of continuing the cruise schedule.

Ms Driscoll advised affected passengers to contact the administrator to register their details, as well as their travel agent, who would be regularly updated by the administrator on alternative arrangements.

"In the event that the cruises are cancelled, Consumer Protection believes a number of remedies will be available, including refunds through the Travel Compensation Fund and possible credit card chargebacks,'' she said."

Hopefully others will have some thoughts about what the TA did / should've known!

-n

September 18th, 2012, 02:54 AM

Do you know what is going to happen with ATHENA? She is actually arrested in Marseille together with Princess Danae due to lack of payment from Shipowners. ARION another vessel of the fleet is also arrested in Kotor.

It seems that the Shipowners disapeared....

Where is Grant Hunter, anyone knows??

Can anyone inform what is going on with this company?

Does anyone know the date the Athena was arressted? I paid for my cruise on october 2nd, I would think my travel agent should have known about this, any thoughts?:confused:

This thread was started on Cruise Critic on the 18th September.Thats when the bells started ringing, but some people did not hear, or want to hear them.

We have been discussing the situation , and possible outcome , since then.

Does anyone know the date the Athena was arressted? I paid for my cruise on october 2nd, I would think my travel agent should have known about this, any thoughts?:confused:

You should be piss** and demand back your money from the TA! And thats about all you can do but just do it and "Now" !

In the 1980,s I joined myself and DW into a lifetime Gym membership with Laurie Potters:D:D:D,$1000 each and against my better judgment and many nags to go ahead from "Her In Doors" I parted with $2000 cash on a Saturday morning when both employees and company knew about and had already gone into receivership the Friday before:mad:

It was the quickest $2000 I have ever lost.

If it happened now I would chain myself to there premises,I suggest you do the same with your T/A!

Den

Welcome to Cruise Critic (I note this your first post.)

I hope you get you money back from your T/A.

Surely your Travel Insurance would cover this?

Good question. Technically the cruise hasn't been cancelled and the administrators are trying to find another ship.

Does travel insurance cover you if your TA didn't know, or didn't inform you, that the advertised ship might not be available?

-n

Good question. Technically the cruise hasn't been cancelled and the administrators are trying to find another ship. Does travel insurance cover you if your TA didn't know, or didn't inform you, that the advertised ship might not be available?-n

Its going to be a curly one for the Travel Insurers ... :eek:

Lots of tears in our house!! I still cant think or find a safe way to take my kids to see the pyramids & jordan..... for us it was all about the boat............I hate to think of all the beautiful wooden decks getting smashed up and salvaged somewhere. I truely love that ship.

We were offered alot of alternatives (7 night cruise greece, barcelona etc) but nothing will equal the journey and the countries Athena was going to introduce to my kids and me!!

Turns out - we booked a "package" so we should get a full refund.........

I wish we had all gotten to met on the ship and watch a sunset over the ships wake!!

Best of luck with refunds to us all!!!!

Melissa

I keep looking at my calendar................its blank for 8 weeks!!!!!!!!!!

We were leaving in 2 days..........

Melissa

I really feel for you...I would be devestated...here is something to consider for the future...lovely ship, classic cruising, in depth history of all the wonderful ports..all inclusive.

http://us.voyagestoantiquity.com/all-cruises.html

Good luck...I hope it all works out for you.

Sue

I really feel for you...I would be devestated...here is something to consider for the future...lovely ship, classic cruising, in depth history of all the wonderful ports..all inclusive.

http://us.voyagestoantiquity.com/all-cruises.html

Good luck...I hope it all works out for you.

Sue

I really feel for that family too. As adults it has been hard to cope with the disappointment....especially with the off again on again and" we are still looking for a ship antics. " As of today we have had no notification that the cruise has been cancelled. as we had booked and paid up airfares for a week to Paris and them down to Marseilles....also paid for hotels tours train tickets and so forth..we are flying out tomorrow....but will have to make way home. If we cancelled the flights it would cost $300 each...and as you say the next seven weeks are fairly blank on the calendar. Cant cancel my leave so Paris here we come ....Those poor kids ...like the Grinch stealing Christmas. I pass on my sympathy to them and you !

Archived