Classic international cruises - help

Pax106

Another Perth sucker about to fly out for Paris on the 6th with no guarantee of a ride home. I have contacted CIC Aust with no guaranteed outcome. Just tell me the ship is sailing and hope that I feel reassured. Not likely. I find it absolutely amazing that CIC Aust have put nothing on their website to inform customers of the current situation. Don't know why they employ a PR person. I guess it's just wait and see now.

Yep thats what we are doing leaving it to the chance that it might go...that is all we can do. Awful though...a long awaited holiday and first big cruise ...the stress is really spoiling the anticipation of the holiday. As we have no notification of cancellation we cannot risk not going to Paris ...we will not stay in europe if cancelled as it is winter and we are not organized to do anything else. Best made plans...

Maybe we will meet you on board....that's looking glass half full...or just wishful thinking???

Yep communication from CIC is really disgraceful.

As we have no notification of cancellation we cannot risk not going to Paris ...we will not stay in europe if cancelled as it is winter and we are not organized to do anything else. Best made plans...

Although I'm optimistic that the cruise will sail, it'd be a shame to go all that way and not take advantage of it if it doesn't.

I was in Europe last Winter and had a great time. There's a massive range of choices from Christmas markets in Germany, skiing in the Alps if you're into that (still at good prices), and tourist attractions in Italy are much less crowded, yet it's still warm. Prices all over are more reasonable as it's not as busy touristically (though some cities are always more expensive than others).

Getting around on public transport is a cinch, so if the worst does eventuate, think about places you'd like to go and you shouldn't find it difficult. The only limit is working to a budget.

I have just received an email from the Travel Editor of the West Australian - who I emailed last week - I also emailed the PR officer at Classic International Australia - and got no reply from him.

Reply from Travel Editor: We are already following this and there will be a story on Saturday.

CIC has not been advertising its cruises in Travel since the arrest of the ships.

Yep thats what we are doing leaving it to the chance that it might go...that is all we can do. Awful though...a long awaited holiday and first big cruise ...the stress is really spoiling the anticipation of the holiday. As we have no notification of cancellation we cannot risk not going to Paris ...we will not stay in europe if cancelled as it is winter and we are not organized to do anything else. Best made plans...

Maybe we will meet you on board....that's looking glass half full...or just wishful thinking???

While its disappointing that the cruise looks off..I must say your attitude 'that its winter in Europe and nothing to do' is a little bit dramatic and actually somewhat short sighted.

Plenty of things to do..just not on a beach!!! Your within a cooee of some of the greatest cities in the world and there's nothing to do? Lord save me!! It takes no time at all to jump online and book hotels. I would even book one for the night of your cruise departure just to cover yourself...then take it from there.

While its disappointing that the cruise looks off..I must say your attitude 'that its winter in Europe and nothing to do' is a little bit dramatic and actually somewhat short sighted.

Plenty of things to do..just not on a beach!!! Your within a cooee of some of the greatest cities in the world and there's nothing to do? Lord save me!! It takes no time at all to jump online and book hotels. I would even book one for the night of your cruise departure just to cover yourself...then take it from there.

yes you are right ....we are not beachy people and know that there would be lots available... .....guess it has to do with cash flow...a lot tied up in the cruise ..five figures...and not expecting an automatic refund. sorry if I sounded like an uncultured bogan....it will be cash flow that will stop other meanderings through that great cultured continent. the joys of off season would be great too. Any way lets see. Looking forward to the newspaper article on Saturday...not that I am expecting any news.

I think it is really poor of the cruise line to leave you in this stressfull position and unable to cheerfully look forward to your cruise. Hope you get some definate news soon...did you check your travel insurance to see what they will do if you get stuck?

I would like to hope, think i might be dreaming though, that the cruise line or agent the cruise was booked through would have the common decency of advising their passengers personally, BEFORE any newspaper article is released of the decision on whether the Athena will be sailing or not........

Fingers crossed for you all that she sails.....fingers and everything else crossed that if she doesn't your money is safe cheers Shiona

For West Australians - read the Travel Section of the West on Saturday:

I asked the question as per a post re the transfer to Panama - this is a reply I got today from the Editor of the Travel Section of the West Australian:

Just a bit of insight – the situation for the Portuguese owners and for CIC Australia, which is a separate company, is quite different. CIC Aust is solid and has been taking bookings without deposit and payment. I am talking with the MD of CIC Australia and there will be a story on Saturday.

It is also worth noting that Athena etc can only be booked through travel agents and, as such, travellers are then covered by the Travel Compensation Fund.

As I say, full story on Sat.

thanks Greg and everyone ....we should know more by Saturday. nice to know that others care. hopefull on this site with a Yahoo soon !!!

We are all feeling for you...hope for the best...but in the meantime lots of last last minute bargains in the Med if it all goes pear shaped.

Sue

Hi All. Latest news from another site. Not quite sure what it all means but there maybe a glimmer of hope there.

I am not sure how Andrew is getting his news but I do not think he has anything like the contacts which I have or the resources !

I am certainly boyant from what I have very recently heard of how things are going !

They always say no news is good news and it is no news at present !

Regarding comments about the crew being owed money, I do know that each ship is registered to a different owner and although they all sail under one company name it should mean that the debts apply to each ship and could be settled on an individual basis !

Heard rumours that all vessels will be in auction soon.... not good news!!

Does anyone knows where can we confirm it? Any website?

I cannot get in touch with CIC Australia.

Has anyone heard from them?

:confused:

I suppose you may have already found this site? It is absolutely pathetic that no one is communicating with you regarding the current state of affairs. Did you book through an agent or directly with the company. Still some of the information here does look a little hopeful.

Sue

http://maritimematters.com/2012/09/classic-international-cruises-faces-uncertain-future/

There was a post elsewhere, with a message from them that funds are held separately and the ship is still expected to be sailing here for the season.

I really and truly hope so. If not Athena any cruise would be good. Leave booked, money paid ... Just want to go ..keep me posted

I suppose you may have already found this site? It is absolutely pathetic that no one is communicating with you regarding the current state of affairs. Did you book through an agent or directly with the company. Still some of the information here does look a little hopeful.

Sue

http://maritimematters.com/2012/09/classic-international-cruises-faces-uncertain-future/

Thanks Sue lets hope so ! Booked through a travel agent eight months ago.

Sue

Thanks for your concern. I am stressed . Got a yes from CIC that Athena is still impounded and a yes that cruise will go on 12 th ...no indication of what ship

Live with hope .. In grand scheme a lot worse happens ..but why me!

Booked through travel agent

Thanks for your concern. I am stressed . Got a yes from CIC that Athena is still impounded and a yes that cruise will go on 12 th ...no indication of what ship

good luck

am still praying

things happen for a purpose so whatever happens I am sure another more wonderful door shall open for you

Greg :)

If you can believe everything you read in the newspaper Saturdays west Australian travel section has a small article. We are travelling on the Delphin. Thank you for everyone's concern and prayers and I am over the moon ... Going on a big cruise! Will I meet any of you on board? Off to see what the Delphin is like but from the article similar to Athena !

According to the article in Saturday's West Australian, Travel Section, the Delphin is similar in tonnage but built in 1975. I like the bit that says "the on-board program will be tailored to suit Australian guests"..... any suggestions what that would be?????

According to the article in Saturday's West Australian, Travel Section, the Delphin is similar in tonnage but built in 1975. I like the bit that says "the on-board program will be tailored to suit Australian guests"..... any suggestions what that would be?????

That means they will stock the bars with Fosters...The whole world knows that what Aussies drink:D:D

Here's a site that has some and pics of her...

http://www.shipparade.com/az/Delphin/Delphin.htm

Wondered how the travel editor was going to be able to release info that no one else has yet

That is what is known as a "scoop" :D

It seems to be this ship that is being referred to: http://www.nedcruise.info/delphin.htm

Interestingly, she has previously sailed here... although was then known as Belorussiya.

Still, it's not confirmed yet, but it would be plausible, even if as a contingency plan even if Athena still does come back.

Archived