Best ship for 8 & 10 year olds that love swimming

Torinate

Looking for the best ships for our family.

First time cruisers. 8 & 10 year old children that love adventure and live to swim.

Any ideas for a great first cruise for us?

Disney seems pricey. Great deals I think on Carnival. RCI seem mid way.

Looking for February in the Caribbean.

Not sure of length - do a 5 night cruise or go for 6 or 7 nights...

Suggestions welcomed!!!

Thanks!

IMO Norwegian Cruise Lines offers the best all around cruise. They have Nickelodeon characters and shows for the kids. I just returned on the Gem in June and I'm going on the Jewel Next month. They are a little more expensive than Carnival but well worth the money. Remember you be what you pay for and there is a reason Carnival is the cheapest. All in all NCL is great for both adults and children. The pools are pictured below. The second picture is the adults only pool. That are next to each other on deck 12. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347921737.437192.jpg.6b3f4c46bcfd5129cd2146e88f0007c6.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347921849.557378.jpg.8f80634390f4777b1085a22ae76e56df.jpg

Eh - I love Norwegian but NOT for swimming

For kids that love to swim - you want a Royal Caribbean ship that is FREEDOM or OASIS class. Period. No comparison.

Here are some pictures from our Royal Caribbean sailings and CB@Sea always says "you can't swim in a ship pool" - I assure you - my girls swam their little hearts out on Freedom and Indy.

050.jpg

052.jpg

055.jpg

The lazy donut lol

043.jpg

127.jpg

113.jpg

I've only been on NCL and 1 RC, so I can only comment on NCL. I agree, their pools are not for swimming. However the Epic has some really fun water slides and the "toilet bowl" that they would have a blast in. For one of the smaller ships, I would recommend the Spirit. They have an entire area in the back of the ship dedicated to children with a pool and 2 water slides. It's a pirates them with a pirate ship to climb on, tunnels to go in, water fountains and so on. :)

But seriously klauer - as a general rule - I don't like to show other people's children in my pictures. So I always take pictures when we first board. But just to make you feel better....

Here are some pictures from Freedom (my girls are in the shots) and the most crowded I saw it get...

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

And this is Indy on a port day (Belize I think it was). It was just a ghost town on board.

248.jpg

But my daughter was having fun anyway.

246.jpg

On the flip side - RCI Enchantment (the RCI ship we just got off) - pools ALWAYS packed.

P8040144.jpg

I personally do not like NCL because their ships tend to have a ton of kids and it is impossible to find a spot by the pool on any sea day. Carnival I do not like in general. I'd go with RCI if splash pools and other attractions like rock climbing, etc are important to you and the kids. They are a bit pricey on the newer ships though. We also love Princess. Their kids clubs are generally very nice with lots of stuff to do and they offer multiple pools so they are never super crowded. Also, they have good prices usually and consistent service and food (better than RCI in my opinion). I'd definitely do 7-days, 5 days is really just 4-days sailing and you can't go to any decent ports, by the time you get used to the ship you'll have to get off. I think 7 days is perfect for a first cruise.

I personally do not like NCL because their ships tend to have a ton of kids and it is impossible to find a spot by the pool on any sea day. Carnival I do not like in general. I'd go with RCI if splash pools and other attractions like rock climbing, etc are important to you and the kids. They are a bit pricey on the newer ships though. We also love Princess. Their kids clubs are generally very nice with lots of stuff to do and they offer multiple pools so they are never super crowded. Also, they have good prices usually and consistent service and food (better than RCI in my opinion). I'd definitely do 7-days, 5 days is really just 4-days sailing and you can't go to any decent ports, by the time you get used to the ship you'll have to get off. I think 7 days is perfect for a first cruise.

I also don't like NCL, I prefer RCI and sailing with RCI is such great experience for me.

I've only been on NCL and 1 RC, so I can only comment on NCL. I agree, their pools are not for swimming. However the Epic has some really fun water slides and the "toilet bowl" that they would have a blast in. For one of the smaller ships, I would recommend the Spirit. They have an entire area in the back of the ship dedicated to children with a pool and 2 water slides. It's a pirates them with a pirate ship to climb on, tunnels to go in, water fountains and so on. :)

I've been on the Spirit, and that area is great for younger kids, but would be a bore for 8 and 10 year olds (my kids range in age from 8 - 16).

OP, go with ships with great waterslides. We love NCL, and have booked the Breakaway. All of my kids love waterparks, and have been going on insane slides for years. Most of the pools/slides on older ships are pretty lame.

I've been on the Spirit, and that area is great for younger kids, but would be a bore for 8 and 10 year olds (my kids range in age from 8 - 16).

OP, go with ships with great waterslides. We love NCL, and have booked the Breakaway. All of my kids love waterparks, and have been going on insane slides for years. Most of the pools/slides on older ships are pretty lame.

Are there any slides on the RCI Liberty?

Still haven't picked yet...

Thanks for all the info!

Are there any slides on the RCI Liberty?

Still haven't picked yet...

Thanks for all the info!

No - but RCI Liberty has the flow rider surfing, ice skating, rock wall, movie screen at the pool and Dream Works (character meals and parades).

And a picture of RCi liberty's pools would look like what I posted above for Indy and Freedom - same class of ship.

Hahaha! And guess what? As you can imagine, after all of the debate of what those signs say, the parents ignored the signs and there were babies/toddlers in diapers in that pool anyway ;)

Yep..I have been on that ship 5 times and never seen it enforced yet..By the way looks like your EPIC cruise is coming up fast. I am anxious to hear your review. It still ranks as one of the best for familys IMO.

Yep..I have been on that ship 5 times and never seen it enforced yet..By the way looks like your EPIC cruise is coming up fast. I am anxious to hear your review. It still ranks as one of the best for familys IMO.

It's just around the corner :D

I don't know if it's really hit yet. I will start panicking the week before we leave.

Archived