New Menus Debut on Coral Princess?

IECalCruiser

Barbecued tri-tip is one of my favorite beef dishes & looking forward to trying it to see if it's as good as the Santa Maria-style tri-tip so popular here.

Not until they start stocking oak for the grill. ;0) It was tasty, but devoid of that awesome smoke flavor - and there were no pink beans.

Still, an order of magnitude beefier than the medallions, which I am *virtually certain* were from a section of the chuck marketed as Shoulder Tender (tasty enough, but a really cheap cut that doesn't have much fat and is cursed with kind of a boring texture).

Thank you all for your kind feedback - I actually squealed with audible delight when I saw the new items. The Executive Chef said the items were "in testing" over the last couple of weeks, and I think they'd make nice additions long-term.

E, who is not coping well with the lack of luncheon options while working from home.

Vibeguy, thank you for the extensive descriptions of the new food items. I'm looking forward to trying some of these!

I'm sure I"ll try a number of those new dishes, but especially interested in the sushi app, the tri-tip and will be very happy to revisit the leek and ricotta tart and the onion soup...nom-nom!

The Sweetbreads A La Reine / Vol Au Vent / Creamed Chicken, Sweetbreads and Mushrooms In Puff Pastry Case are gone, which is a serious disappointment. I loved that retrotastic gem. I was alone in that, though, I think. In its place? Chicken Wings in a Bacardi-spiked glaze. Tasty enough, but they're just wings. Definitely baked rather than fried.

VibeGuy,

Thanks for the detail review of some of the new dishes. I am sooooooooooooo disappointed that the Sweetbreads are gone.:( This was by far one of my fav-dishes.

The year before we did 2 cruises on the Queen Victoria (Cunard) by comparison Princess has gone down hill when it comes the MDR offerrings.

Do you mean Princess dining room food vs. Cunard? Or do you mean Princess of 15 years ago vs. Cunard of today? I would imagine that Princess was always a step or two below what Cunard offered on their sailings.

As for the mac and cheese and the burger - there are a lot of restaurants - at least in my area - that are doing gourmet burgers and/or mac and cheese and are charging a substantial price. I kind of see it as catering to those who might order those items in an higher end restaurant and those who want some "homestyle" offerings.

Hmmm' date=' not impressed. I'm thoroughly disappointed seeing a burger on the menu every night. This "everyday" fare isn't special enough, in my opinion, for the main dining room on a cruise.[/quote']

The last thing I want to do is turn this into a formal dress thread, but when I have participated in some of those threads, one thing I pointed out is if passengers allow the experience be dumbed-down, then why should Princess provide anything "special"? If one is going to go into a "special" dining room in a ball cap and t-shirt sans sleeves, then a restaurant quailty burger is way more "special" than one's dress.

See, that's why taste is a matter of taste. I love the piña colada soup. But hey, nobody's forcing you to order it. I mean, I found the luau pork way disappointing...but I'll somehow bravely soldier on.

You tell 'em Shepp...I'm not a red meat eater, but I think I can get by as well with that choice for those who want it. And I agree with you on the luau pork ;)

Don't think I'll wear a tux to eat a burger.

The downhill trend is accelerating.

See what I mean?

Mac 'n Cheese is 39c a packet at my supermarket! Probably not anything like as good as what Princess will be offering in the MDR but I can have it anytime at home, not as an alleged special meal on a cruise and getting dressed up for.

Don't forget the shrimp, scallops and bacon...

I agree with you Doug & for those who want to continue to have an affordable cruise such changes are in evitable. There's a current thread showing prices for Princess cruises 35 years ago & guess what... the prices for the 3 & 4 day cruises from LA that begin next year are about the same price as in 1977! Does anyone truly believe that you could pay the same cost you did 35 years ago & get the same type of cruise???

And then there's this...we should put up a poll to see how many people would be willing to tack on to their cruise fare an amount to offset the increased cost of offering exactly what they want on the menu. Or maybe reduce the cruise price and make food pay as you go.

So lets see...they have replaced real steak with ground beef! And what has happened to our much beloved Escargot (Princess and Celebrity both do a great job with this dish)? And now Mac and Cheese is a main course? It sure looks like the budget cutters had some major input into the menus. Will look forward to seeing additonal menus when somebody posts.

Hank

I just got off the Coral 3NT...

...Overall, I'd be completely happy to see these new menu items persist.

Thanks for the great - and obviously schooled - review of the new menu items...it's good to have a VOCR on the board (voice of calm and reason). I was never worried, but now I look forward to the new menus.

Thanks for the detailed assessment, VibeGuy. Your enthusiasm actually has me anxious to try some things that I would never have considered.

I also like lightly-oaked whites. Care to share some that you enjoyed from the list?*

*I mean share the names, not pour me a glass. Although . . .

Thanks for the detailed assessment, VibeGuy. Your enthusiasm actually has me anxious to try some things that I would never have considered.

I also like lightly-oaked whites. Care to share some that you enjoyed from the list?*

*I mean share the names, not pour me a glass. Although . . .

We drank both of the Chablis (one a Premier Cru, one kinda Vin Ordinaire) and one of an Italian varietal that I don't recognize, in a vaguely curvy bottle that was on the first right-hand page of the list, midway down, and was under $35. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I had a few glasses of wine. ;0)

You shoulda been there when we opened a bottle of 1995 Northstar. ;0)

E

recently completed the Baltic Itinerary aboard the Emerald. I have to say, I was less than impressed with the MDR options, as I never really saw a menu item I felt I had to have. I love escargot and they seemed to have disappeared. I managed to get some one night off menu, after asking for them every night. I was so disappointed with the Lobster tail, I wondered why it was served with prawns and then discovered that it was actually smaller than the prawns were. My favorite dinner believe it of not, was in the Caribe Cafe when they had German Buffet. I used to love the Princess dining experience, its definately going downhill.

Uh-Oh IMO, the crowning blow is that there is so little information on the new menu about the dish. The previous notation of spa item referred to something that is healthier than other entree's, appetizers, etc. At a time when more people are paying attention to what their choices are........this is not good! And yes, I'm sure some people don't have a care in the world and could eat fried lard on a cruise and swear it was wonderful..........but for me and many others.......it's nice to have a bit more information about what is being served. Sometimes its about having choices and information to make those choices. This menu isn't 'comforting' to me.........:rolleyes:

I enjoy the menu in the MDR most of the time and I am OK if they serve us a burger...the advantage over the grill is that I don't have to get it myself.

Vibeguy,

Great post about the menu. These type of posts keep me coming back. I don't know where else one can get this type of info at. Thanks to you and CC.

And yes thanks to others about their thoughts and opinions as well.

They were using the old menus on the Emerald TA on Sept. 10. The Lotus Spa symbol was still on the menu and the menus were familiar from past cruises. We did notice a decline in quality esp. on the beef items. Most of our table agreed that the rib-eye they served was very low in quality.

They were using the old menus on the Emerald TA on Sept. 10. The Lotus Spa symbol was still on the menu and the menus were familiar from past cruises. We did notice a decline in quality esp. on the beef items. Most of our table agreed that the rib-eye they served was very low in quality.
I've always said that if a local restaurant had the same quality prime rib as Princess serves they wouldn't stay in business very long. It's a good thing there are other options on the menu to order from.

The Emerald may have the new menus by now. They were introduced on the Golden on September 15th.
I've always said that if a local restaurant had the same quality prime rib as Princess serves they wouldn't stay in business very long. It's a good thing there are other options on the menu to order from.
We have been on 13 Princess cruises and the only beef I can consistently rely on is the filet. Fortunately on our two Alaskan cruises this month there were medallions of beef for Embarkation lunch, Captain's Welcome Dinner, Alaska Dinner and Beef Wellington for the Captain's Gala Dinner and the second week we also had filet at the Chef's table and ate at the Crown Grill. Other than that it is typically the fish selection for me.

The Emerald may have the new menus by now. They were introduced on the Golden on September 15th.We have been on 13 Princess cruises and the only beef I can consistently rely on is the filet. Fortunately on our two Alaskan cruises this month there were medallions of beef for Embarkation lunch, Captain's Welcome Dinner, Alaska Dinner and Beef Wellington for the Captain's Gala Dinner and the second week we also had filet at the Chef's table and ate at the Crown Grill. Other than that it is typically the fish selection for me.

Last year we were on a trans-Atlantic followed by a Med cruise on the same ship.

Beef on the TA part was horrible. On the Med cruise it was 200% better.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why people are complaining about burgers. I find chicken to be a "bleh" choice--so I don't order it.

But some people aren't adventurous eaters, and welcome burgers, roast beef & chicken. I have a son who will order fettucine every night...and likely not much else.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE well made mac & cheese--this is not Kraft! my mom & I both swooned when we saw it on the menu.

I don't understand why people are complaining about burgers. I find chicken to be a "bleh" choice--so I don't order it.

But some people aren't adventurous eaters, and welcome burgers, roast beef & chicken. I have a son who will order fettucine every night...and likely not much else.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE well made mac & cheese--this is not Kraft! my mom & I both swooned when we saw it on the menu.

As one person already stated, it is not awful to have a burger as an option on the MDR menu, but it is a negative if they substitute that burger for, say, filet medallions.

If they get to the point where they "offer" barramundi instead of lobster, or "offer" cheesesteak instead of filet mignon, then it's time to check for other options --- not on the menu, but on the seas.

I am far from a food connoisseur but I am hoping that cruiselines will always be able to provide dining experiences that are a step up from the local family restaurants. I understand that they have to make a profit and am willing to pay more.

I just prefer to pay more for the cruise ticket, see 7 or more distinct menus, and not be forced to go to the specialty restaurant and look at the same menu or 2 for an entire cruise.

No, it's not terrible to have hamburger on the menu but it has replaced an item. Plus, you could always order a hamburger or anything else on the kid's menu. It's not an addition; just a replacement.

Also available on the menu, besides very mediocre, supermarket-like Mac n' cheese, are chicken wings. The always available beef tenderloin has been replaced by tri-tips that were very tough and barely edible. I always loved the tenderloin and, sadly, the replacement is just plain cheap and awful in comparison.

If you like soufflés, they are now half the size as they used to be and are made in a small ramikin.

I used to think the cost-cutting was subtle and barely noticeable but it was really "in your face" on the Island Princess. It seemed like half the menu was what you could get at any inexpensive chain restaurant and wasn't special nor could it be considered fine or even good dining. If I'm going to pay thousands for a cruise, I expect better.

Another comment is that, at least in our section of the dining room, reflected the dumbing down of the menu. Our waiter was efficient but he was constantly bored and could have cared less. The waiter for the other tables in our section was a young woman who literally flitted around, jumped up and down, clapping her hands in a cutsie manner all the time in a little girl voice and didn't look or act professional.

IMHO, dining on Princess has changed a lot, and not for the better.

If you like soufflés, they are now half the size as they used to be and are made in a small ramikin.

I used to think the cost-cutting was subtle and barely noticeable but it was really "in your face" on the Island Princess.

IMHO, dining on Princess has changed a lot, and not for the better.

The soufflés were cut in half a few years ago. So how they are half of that?

Due to a number of changes (not just the menu), I sold my Princess stock after my last cruise as I didn't expect to particularly need it. I wasn't ruling out sailing again (still have a few FCCs) but knew I wasn't going to cruise as much as I used to. I am now thinking of taking a long break from cruising or cruising half as much but going with a higher line. I may cruise with Princess in the future but it would solely be all about the ports and nothing about the ship.

I personally have noticed a lot of cost cutting the past few years. It wasn't barely noticeable to me.

I consider myself privileged. I have been able to cruise quite a bit the past 15 years and have had a fabulous time. I have seen some wonderful places and really enjoyed myself.

Now is a time to step back, look at some land places I would love to do (I prefer land in Europe then cruises) and have some new, different experiences.

Archived