Best Balconies for RT Panama trip

intriguedkp

Thanks everyone for posting here. The information has been really helpful. I hadn't thought of the issue of choosing port or starboard based on which side the sun would be shining.

We're probably going to do a north to south transit (i.e. Florida to California). I'm thinking the afternoon sun will be the hottest, so I assume a starboard side (east facing) cabin would be best to be in the shade in the afternoon?

We are also thinking that a midships (my friend gets motion sickness) cabin on a bumpout would be best. One of the aft-facing (corner) bumpouts would shield us from the wind.

Any thoughts on the above?

Thanks.

The OP mentioned this website http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/ which shows which cabins are covered, partial, etc.

However, I got the message "Locked - The requested resource is currently locked. The lock must be released or proper identification given before the method can be applied."

Does anyone know if this has moved, or another source for the information?

Thanks.

I just returned from being on the Coral for 18 days. I loved the balcony (not mini) bumpout cabin on Caribe 309. We had a big table and 2 chairs. It was slightly smaller than the other balconies but the pluses out weighted that. We booked this cabin 18 months in advance to be sure we had it for a b2b2b cruise to Alaska.

IMG_1590_zpsf696388d.jpg

IMG_1524_zps3ed20cb4.jpg

IMG_1525_zps12fc1bbe.jpg

The wrap around glass railing

Being able to see forward and after

The staterooms forward of us broke the wind and it was so pleasant to be out on the balcony

Biggest positive....you could see directly into the ocean. No cabin/balcony/lifeboat or anything obstructing your view. There are many cabins that can say that anymore.

Added bonus, you walked just a few steps and you were on the bow. Not many people to share this with.

Edited by cr8tiv1

Okay, first time Princess cruiser and my head is now spinning with all the deck names, number and lettering! :eek:

We will be doing the partial transit in April and I will be doing almost the same again in Dec 2015.

Thanks for all the great cabin location info and as soon as the vertigo stops I will see how our cabins rate.

The OP mentioned this website http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/ which shows which cabins are covered, partial, etc.

However, I got the message "Locked - The requested resource is currently locked. The lock must be released or proper identification given before the method can be applied."

Does anyone know if this has moved, or another source for the information?

Thanks.

The same thing happened to me yesterday. Today, I get "this page cannot be displayed" Then when I try to "fix connection" I get the Locked back.:eek:

We had limited cabin choice but opted for Aloha deck, forward and on the port side so now I'm really pleased based on the comment written here.

It's also well placed for the Horizon Court so we can "grab n' go" without missing much

You have a very good plan. We find we see more from the forward public deck than from any balcony we ever had.

Three yrs ago we took the 20 day round trip Ft. Lauderdale to Acapulco and return to Ft Lauderdale on Coral Princess. We had a balcony mid ship and used it for rest during the transit 2x through the canal. (Note: take an umbrella for shade, cover yourself, and drink lots of water.)

The important aspect for us was the balcony faced south going Caribbean to Pacific. This gave us the best view of the approach toward Colon as the sun rose on the sea with many ships waiting their turn through the locks. Then the buildings, locks, and freighters transiting the canal were on open view from our balcony. The north side of the ship had mostly forest, hills, and view of the widening of the canal.

The best views and longest day is the transit from Caribbean to Pacific with the day light fading as we saw the lights of Panama City. Naturally the best views are from the top side of the ship and the promenade. The promenade being most important to us as we got the feel of the water raising and lowering the our ship and the freighters through the canal. Also, the Gatun Lake cruising is beautiful from the south side (left looking toward the front of the ship.)

On the return from Panama City to Colon the scenery does not seem as spectacular as the sunrises on Panama City. It is still a long spectacular day but having done the transit the first time you may find yourself relaxing in the front of the air conditioned buffet area where you'll see more of both sides, the construction in progress, and the Gallaird Cut from a higher point for best visibility.

The round trip is marred only in one aspect, in Colon where you visit the shops and see the same wares you've picked over in many of the ports along the way. The difference in those wares is the up price on everything. May I suggest you take a tour rather than spending time in the new build shops of Colon.

Claire

Edited by ClairetoCruise