A couple cruise questions

banshee72

This is going to be our 2 nd cruise. We are just in the planning phrase of an 8 day cruise on the Independence of the Sea that leaves on March 16th. Out last cruise was a five day cruise on the Enchantment of the Sea 6 years ago. A lot of things I have forgotten the years.

1) it says that the ships leaves at 5:30. What is the earliestyou are usually on the ship.

2) for the last cruise we stayed at the Renaissance Hotel. We are interested in trying something new. Does anyone have suggestions?

3) Is there someplace online where people have scanned in the daily activities that are offered throughout the day?

4) Since we are leaving in the middle of March I expect the weather to be a bit cooler...just how much cooler?

5) For financial reasons we wont be able to actually book our cruise until January. We had no problem with this last time around. I was wondering if we should wait until closer to the date to see if we can get a better deal. I wont cruise without a balcony...we just used it so much last time around. Anyway...was wondering if we should wait. The middle of March is before many students have spring break.

6. Does anyone have any suggestions/information on the ship itself? Anyone have any personal experiences they would like to share?

7. We are not sure we are going to do excusions at every port. we wouldnt mind just walking around and seeing "stufF" on our own. THey ports are Philipsburg, St Maarten, Bassettere, St. Kitts, San Juan Puerto Rico, and Labadee, Haiti. Is there any excursions at these ports that are worth the time and money. Are there any that have a town/city right off the dock that we can explore on our own? On our last cruise we stopped at Jamaica and the tourist area was basically walled off from the rest of the island. Was kind of scary if you left the area.

8. Do they still have activities on board like the climbing wall and flo rider when at dock?

Sorry if this is a little long. The cruise is about 6 months around and probably a little too excited about it considering its so far away.

If you made it this far I commend you. Any answers to any of the above questions would be very helpful.

Thank You

Jay

Welcome to cruise critic.

1. boarding usually starts noon or so.

2. Check the Homeports section for your embarkation port

4. For weather averages, check one of the online weather services for the ports.

5. Middle of March is spring break. Ships fill up, Discounts are unlikely, in fact rates may rise as the sailing date approaches.

7. check port of call section for details on ports.

You can do a search on your cruiseline's boards for the daily schedules....they may not be totally correct, but they'll be close and give you an idea of what's happening.

I won't cruise in anything less than a JS...so I book when I find a price I can live with. I think that's what you need to do...find a price on a balcony that's ok with your pocketbook, and book! If you wait too long, you may not get the deck or location you want.

Labadee is the private beach for RCI....you can't wander but so far...it's enclosed! It's not "scary" at all. You don't have to spend any money there on excursion, if all you want is the beach experience! But, they've added lots of extra cost things, and folks are evidently willing to spend lots of money there...your choice!

You'll have a great time...just take things as they come!

Welcome to cruise critic.

1. boarding usually starts noon or so.

2. Check the Homeports section for your embarkation port

4. For weather averages, check one of the online weather services for the ports.

5. Middle of March is spring break. Ships fill up, Discounts are unlikely, in fact rates may rise as the sailing date approaches.

7. check port of call section for details on ports.

Thanks for the comments/answers. As far as Spring Break, I just assumed that since the price for the cruise on the 16th is half the price of the cruise that leaves on the 30th. I know the colleges and schools around here do not start their spring breaks until the end of March/beginning of April. I;m sure those dates change depending on the part of the nation you are from. I was also wondering if maybe you will have less students on a 8 day cruise as most students only have a week off for spring break.

You can do a search on your cruiseline's boards for the daily schedules....they may not be totally correct, but they'll be close and give you an idea of what's happening.

I won't cruise in anything less than a JS...so I book when I find a price I can live with. I think that's what you need to do...find a price on a balcony that's ok with your pocketbook, and book! If you wait too long, you may not get the deck or location you want.

Labadee is the private beach for RCI....you can't wander but so far...it's enclosed! It's not "scary" at all. You don't have to spend any money there on excursion, if all you want is the beach experience! But, they've added lots of extra cost things, and folks are evidently willing to spend lots of money there...your choice!

You'll have a great time...just take things as they come!

Thank you for the good info....it is much appreciated

This is going to be our 2 nd cruise. We are just in the planning phrase of an 8 day cruise on the Independence of the Sea that leaves on March 16th. Out last cruise was a five day cruise on the Enchantment of the Sea 6 years ago. A lot of things I have forgotten the years.

1) it says that the ships leaves at 5:30. What is the earliestyou are usually on the ship.

2) for the last cruise we stayed at the Renaissance Hotel. We are interested in trying something new. Does anyone have suggestions?

3) Is there someplace online where people have scanned in the daily activities that are offered throughout the day?

4) Since we are leaving in the middle of March I expect the weather to be a bit cooler...just how much cooler?

5) For financial reasons we wont be able to actually book our cruise until January. We had no problem with this last time around. I was wondering if we should wait until closer to the date to see if we can get a better deal. I wont cruise without a balcony...we just used it so much last time around. Anyway...was wondering if we should wait. The middle of March is before many students have spring break.

6. Does anyone have any suggestions/information on the ship itself? Anyone have any personal experiences they would like to share?

7. We are not sure we are going to do excusions at every port. we wouldnt mind just walking around and seeing "stufF" on our own. THey ports are Philipsburg, St Maarten, Bassettere, St. Kitts, San Juan Puerto Rico, and Labadee, Haiti. Is there any excursions at these ports that are worth the time and money. Are there any that have a town/city right off the dock that we can explore on our own? On our last cruise we stopped at Jamaica and the tourist area was basically walled off from the rest of the island. Was kind of scary if you left the area.

8. Do they still have activities on board like the climbing wall and flo rider when at dock?

Sorry if this is a little long. The cruise is about 6 months around and probably a little too excited about it considering its so far away.

If you made it this far I commend you. Any answers to any of the above questions would be very helpful.

Thank You

Jay

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You will probably get more helpful responses if you post these questions over on the Royal Caribbean board. Here is a link to it:

- ROYAL CARIBBEAN

Also, here is a link to the roll call for your cruise on the Independence of the Seas:

March 16, 2013 8 nights on Indy

The roll call is the place where people who are going on the same cruise get to "meet" one another in advance of the cruise and exchange information about it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

If you want a balcony -- book as soon as possible -- that way you will have more choices. Balcony cabins fill up fast.

St Maarten has shops right where the ship docks. You can either walk to town, take a taxi or a ferry to town as well -- more shops there.

San Juan -- hilly -- but you can walk to town. If you are in good physical condition you can walk it to El Morro Castle. There is a free trolley to get around -- you have to walk down to the ferry terminal to get it.

St Kitts -- there are stores right off the pier.

Thanks for the comments/answers. As far as Spring Break, I just assumed that since the price for the cruise on the 16th is half the price of the cruise that leaves on the 30th. I know the colleges and schools around here do not start their spring breaks until the end of March/beginning of April. I;m sure those dates change depending on the part of the nation you are from. I was also wondering if maybe you will have less students on a 8 day cruise as most students only have a week off for spring break.

My advice is book as soon as you can afford the booking deposit, as long as the final payment due is after the date you can truely afford to finish paying. Depending on the line, balconies can tend to sell out fast so it's better to lock in your prefered cabin category or location as soon as you know that a cruise will be your vacation plan.

The reason that the cruise on 3-30 is double is because that is the date that Easter falls on for 2013 and is considered a Holiday rate cruise. This week for many lower grades have the kiddies spring break, so it's a popular time for families w/ younger children to cruise. Cruising families, to my experience, will take the longer cruises like the 8 day as long as they work with-in the school scheduling.

Now for college spring breaks (based on the schedules from the 5 local colleges in NJ) they start in 2013 anywhere from March 7th & end around April 21st. Though true many college students tend to take the shorter 3-5 day "party" cruises during their spring break time but it does not guarantee that a good few may not "blow-off" a couple of days of classes if there is a good deal for a longer cruise. Your best bet is to forget checking the schedules of your local colleges and check the college schedules nearer to the departure port as these are the co-eds more likely to cruise longer itineraries since mininal travel to the port is required.

We usually get to the ship around noon or so, mostly because that is often check-out time at the hotel. If you go a little later, check-in will probably be faster.

If this is Fort Lauderdale, we've stayed in various hotels near the port, usually going for a good deal as it's just for one night. Sleep Inn Dania, both Hyatt Place's, etc.

I actually think your sailing would be right in the middle of Spring Break for many schools. I would reserve a cabin as soon as you can; if you wait, it is possible they may sell out, so if this particular cruise is important to you, don't wait too long.

All of the ports you mentioned are good for just getting off the ship and walking around, especially San Juan. Labadee is a sectioned off area of Haiti and very safe. It's basically a beach day, with a few other activities to do. If you want to do excursions, I'd suggest looking on the Ports of Call boards for private tours recommended by people on here. Usually much cheaper and better.

The weather on the cruise itself should be really warm to hot. In Florida it will probably be nice too, though they can have a cold (cool to us) snap too.

By the time you are into the second day it will be warm for sure.

I haven't been on the Enchantment; I don't think they have a flow rider, though.

Thanks for all the info/suggestions.

Just to clear one thing up which I was not really clear on before. Our first cruise, six years ago, was on the Enchantment. The cruise we are looking at this time around is on the Independance of the Sea.

A question totally unroelated to the previous ones. Do most cruises/travel agencies have deal where you only pay a small fee (100.00 per person) in order reserve your cabin and then you have to pay the remainder sometime before you cruise? Ive seen this around the internet a lot and was wondering if anyone done this before.

As others have mentioned I would go on over to the Royal Caribbean board, you will get much more specific answers, but to answer a few of your questions.

Royal does have once or twice a year a lowered deposit sale (called the WOW sale). There are restrictions but it does help with the deposit.

I too would book as soon as possible. With March being a heavy spring break time the prices are only going to go up. While a lot of schools are out for a week, put the two weekends around it and shifting schedules, etc you will get a lot of families with college aged kids.

We get to the port around 11. You may have to wait a few minutes, but you will be onboard by noon most likely. Take advantage of that first day you have paid for.

Excursions, in St. Maarten look at Bernard's tours. We did an almost full day tour for $40 a piece and it was well worth it, got to see a lot of the island and one of the stops is Maho beach where you watch the planes fly over the beach.

In San Juan, yes it is a bit pricier but worth the $$, do the segway tour. Or if it is more than you want to pay, you can easily walk old town without spending anything.

As mentioned, Labadee is the private island so no need to spend any extra on excursions. Of course you can, but you don't need to. Think of it as a beach day.

Haven't been to the other mentioned.

The flow rider on the Independence will have varied hours, most while at sea, but some while in port.

And one final thing, someone posted a link to the roll call for the sailing you are looking at. Take a look at it and see what types of others will be sailing. May give you a better feel for how many are families, kids, etc.

Archived